Jersey Giant Breeders? Where are They?

BlueCamas

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
My mom and I fell in love with Jersey Giants at a show, but we can't seem to find any eggs, chicks, or adult birds available. The birds we did find were upwards of $40 per bird! Does anyone have hatching eggs or know anyone who does? Or does anyone in Oregon area have chicks, juvenile, or adult birds available? These birds are amazing and I would love to get my hands on some
droolin.gif

There's quite a few breeders online here who sell eggs. Try looking in the Jersey Giant thread or contact Wynette or Pride&Joy
smile.png

If that is an adult bird, $40 is a fair price. Look at the cost of incubation, maintaining the breeder flock, and the cost of feed to raise a chick up.

You can start with a trio of birds $40 each ($120 total) and hatch eggs and have a show flock of 300 birds by the end of the first year.

If you want purebreds, don't cheap out on your initial breeding stock. If you buy a box of chicks from a hatchery, you will never get anything but hatchery quality from them and you will never end up with the same spectacular birds you saw at the show.

$40 is no longer a lot of money. You can't take your family out to the movies for less than that and you will enjoy that chicken for years instead of for 2 hours. Heck, I can go to the grocery store and buy stuff for a green salad and it doesn't fill a whole shopping bag and costs $40. For $40, I'd rather have that exhibition quality chicken.

Quote:
So well said.
How do people on CL sell adult birds or POL for $8-10. It sure costs at least that to raise them to that size.

We breed blue, black and splash Jersey Giants and will be shipping hatching eggs and chicks for the 2012 season. Check out our website for more information and pictures. We will update our pictures soon because we have a much better up and coming flock than our previous one and have worked hard to insure that our birds meet the show standards.

Back
Top Bottom