Jersey Giant Hens w/spurs???

daniefon

Chirping
10 Years
May 20, 2009
I just got my first Jersey girls, I bought them from a trusted feed store that sells a lot of chicks. They’re just about 3 months old and one is making crowing sounds. So I checked for spurs and yep, she has tiny ones. Then I checked the other two and so do they! I seriously doubt that all 3 “pullets” were sexed wrong. I read that some hens have spurs. I’ve had a lot of chickens and none have, except a rooster I had!

Pictures?

(We did have a lot of production red hens with spurs when I was a kid. And it's actually really common for one to have buds. The crowing, however, is not easy to dismiss in a twelve-week old.)

It’s not quite full crowing and different than in past roosters, but definitely different than my other pullets and hens! I won’t be disappointed if I do have a rooster. I just lost my very well loved Cochin rooster...so it may be meant to be. But not 3! Thank you for the information!

64CB7677-ED5A-49D9-9ABC-0259E60619F5.jpeg
It’s not quite full crowing and different than in past roosters, but definitely different than my other pullets and hens! I won’t be disappointed if I do have a rooster. I just lost my very well loved Cochin rooster...so it may be meant to be. But not 3! Thank you for the information!

Pablo...

I have a polish hen who has GIANT spurs, bigger than my roosters, (I know she is a hen because she lays shell-less eggs). My Jersey Giant hen Clucky McCluckface doesn't really have any I know of...

Back
Top Bottom