Jersey Giant mixes?

chick mommy

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2015
Idaho
I got these from someone who said they were mixed breed by RIR, BO, Americauna, leghorn, BR, and Jersey giant. The first is much bigger than the second. Any guesses what each cross is?
#1 bottom of feet

Last edited:
Sure, I'll take a guess. Before I do let's get the Jersey Giant straight. Jersey as in New Jersey.

I don't believe the Orpinton is in either mix. I do believe the Easter Egger is in the second bird. I call it an Easter Egger because hatchery birds are not true Ameraucana rather mix breeds that have a blue egg gene parent.

The reasoning for that assessment is Orpington have white feet and that wont follow through with crossbreds but will be in between what it's crossed with, as in the feet would be very pale yellow not yellow like the first bird and certainly not black like the second. So no Orpington. The black on second birds feet can only be brought on by an Easter Egger in the options posted. Production Red (RIR) hide black, there is a chance that could be in the mix but would express red leakage. That you wont see until the birds grow out and will express in hackles and if male shoulders also.

The first birds father has to be Jersey Giant or Production Red. If barred then offspring is barred no matter sex so that's eliminated. The mother could be Production Red, Barred or Jersey Giant.

The second bird has Easter Egger and as it's from same flock would assume same father as first bird so Jersey Giant over Easter Egger by process of assumption. It could be Production father but that would mean it was a black EE so will stick with the Giant is the sire of both birds.

Oh, and I threw out the Leghorn right from the get go. I don't believe Pearl Leghorn is recessive white. Could be wrong on that.

Last edited:
I got these from someone who said they were mixed breed by RIR, BO, Americauna, leghorn, BR, and Jersey giant. The first is much bigger than the second. Any guesses what each cross is?
#1 bottom of feet
thank you! Sound like pretty accurate guesses! I've seen the Jersey Giant spelled both ways and equally. Haven't found out which is correct.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom