Jersey Giant Pullet Lethargic and Puffed out.

JerseyGiant123

Chirping
Nov 27, 2020
North Arkansas
Hi, first time posting but have lurked on here for quite some time. I have a 3 1/2 month old Jersey Giant pullet that is getting sick. She is my favorite hen(basically a pet), so I really want to help her. Over the past few days she's been getting really lethargic, and she just sits in the yard puffed out with her head tucked close to her body. At first I thought she was depressed because one of her flockmates that sticks around her died from a mean goat trying to get food. But today she's to the point where she is not interested in eating or drinking any thing. I made her a scrambled egg and she didn't even want to eat it. She also feels like she has a fever. I have her separated right now in the house to keep her away from the rest of the flock and to keep her comfortable. Her crop is completely empty so I don't think its an impacted crop. So far I have given her a cc of fenbendazole and made her a corid 9.6/vinegar solution. I could not get her to drink it though. Should I try to give her some water through a syringe to keep her hydrated, and should i try to force feed her?​

Stop the vinegar and mix Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water. You can in addition, give 0.1 ml or 1/4 tsp per pound of undiluted Corid twice a day as a boost. Her symptoms sound more like possible coccidiosis. You can take in some droppings to a vet to do a fecal float, or go ahead and treat. Here is a good method of medicating a chicken or other poultry:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Hi, first time posting but have lurked on here for quite some time. I have a 3 1/2 month old Jersey Giant pullet that is getting sick. She is my favorite hen(basically a pet), so I really want to help her. Over the past few days she's been getting really lethargic, and she just sits in the yard puffed out with her head tucked close to her body. At first I thought she was depressed because one of her flockmates that sticks around her died from a mean goat trying to get food. But today she's to the point where she is not interested in eating or drinking any thing. I made her a scrambled egg and she didn't even want to eat it. She also feels like she has a fever. I have her separated right now in the house to keep her away from the rest of the flock and to keep her comfortable. Her crop is completely empty so I don't think its an impacted crop. So far I have given her a cc of fenbendazole and made her a corid 9.6/vinegar solution. I could not get her to drink it though. Should I try to give her some water through a syringe to keep her hydrated, and should i try to force feed her?​
welcome2.jpg

She needs water especially. Green poop is from not eating enough. Hopefully, you can get her eating some, but she may not want to eat if her abdomen is hurting. Hopefully, it is something treatable.

Update*
I'm Glad to say that my little Jersey pullet is now better :)
I decided to give her a dose of Penicillin for 4 days and I also tube fed her some spare parrot formula I had on top of some unpasteurized yogurt I make from my goats. Here's a picture of her now!
jersey.jpg

Glad to hear that she is better. Did you ever treat her with Corid? Are her droppings improved? Is she eating and drinking well?p
I gave her to corid treatment for a few couple of days, but It didn't seem like coccidiosis to me, So I stopped directly giving it to her and I just mixed it with her water. Shes Eating and drinking ALOT now, and her droppings look normal to me. She loves chasing around my little bantam rooster I had her kept with since he was getting bullied, lol. Thanks for your help Eggcessive!

PS I have a 10-mo old BJG cockerel and I really like him. He'll be the junior roo in my flock and the older roo is doing a fine job of teaching him manners! He really is a sweetie.
I love Jersey Giants, they seem like such a sweet and well mannered breed compared to all my other chickens. My other JG is a cockerel and he is the sweetest rooster I have, and he treats the hens well too.

Okay, I am gonna get slammed for this, and I hope I don't totally derail your thread but .....
Im fine with keeping the thread going, lol! My BJG are certainly the smartest chickens out of my flock, at least when it comes to knowing how to act around me. Unlike my RIR that screams and runs a mile away when you try to pick her up... They were the first ones that learned to come when I whistle to them, among some other tricks I taught them. They also dont poop on me whenever Im holding them. They are smarter than my dogs:p!

Back
Top Bottom