Jersey Giant Roo or Lady Bird?

mcros18

Hatching
May 12, 2020
Jersey Giant Roo or lady bird?

We bought 10 vent sexed/ auto sexing pullets (Jersey Giant, bielefelder, whiting true blue, blue laced red Wyandotte) and one bielefelder cockerel from a local well known hatchery specializing in feathers for tying fishing flies. I realize Jersey Giants grow exceptionally slow, but do we have two cockerels? Picture of Bielefelder cockerel and Jersey Giant. Both are 4.5 weeks.

Thank you for your help!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 32
It does look like he holds himself higher than the other chicks like a rooster. But I have a Jersey Giant hen who did the same thing. For the longest time I though she was a rooster but turned out she was a girl. The Jersey Giants comb isn't very big either but they do grow slow. I think the Jersey Giant is a girl but i'm by no means an expert. As for the other one I think its a boy since his comb is noticeably bigger than the others.

It does look like he holds himself higher than the other chicks like a rooster. But I have a Jersey Giant hen who did the same thing. For the longest time I though she was a rooster but turned out she was a girl. The Jersey Giants comb isn't very big either but they do grow slow. I think the Jersey Giant is a girl but i'm by no means an expert. As for the other one I think its a boy since his comb is noticeably bigger than the others.
Thank you for your comment! We don't have any experience with Jersey Giants so I am at a total loss. I appreciate your knowledge. I regret not getting a few more JG so I could at least compare them. I'm not sure why I only bought one :)
The bielefelder is 100% a cockerel because they are auto sexing once they hatch. He is my friendliest of the group so I hope he stays that way. The Jersey Giant is fairly flighty, but stuck around for the pictures with the Bielefelder.

Thank you for your comment! We don't have any experience with Jersey Giants so I am at a total loss. I appreciate your knowledge. I regret not getting a few more JG so I could at least compare them. I'm not sure why I only bought one :)
The bielefelder is 100% a cockerel because they are auto sexing once they hatch. He is my friendliest of the group so I hope he stays that way. The Jersey Giant is fairly flighty, but stuck around for the pictures with the Bielefelder.
My Jersey Giants were very flighty at first too. I would give them some suet or whatever treats that they like and eventually they come to get comfortable with you. Also don't worry about him feathering out as fast as the others. Mine were slow to feather out and one of them wasn't fully feathered until she was around two months old!

My Jersey Giants were very flighty at first too. I would give them some suet or whatever treats that they like and eventually they come to get comfortable with you. Also don't worry about him feathering out as fast as the others. Mine were slow to feather out and one of them wasn't fully feathered until she was around two months old!
You have been so helpful- thank you!! I feel much better about my giant friend and the reassurance is wonderful. Not only am I new to the breed, but this is my first time with chickens. We have plenty of farm animals, but chickens are very different from pigs, horses, dogs, etc. We intentionally purchased the one roo for alerts/protection and hopefully the other 10 are ladies like we planned. Thank you!!

The BJG might be male -the legs look very thick. However the comb is still black and that is how the female BJGs comb looks until they are older. So, I’m not positive at this age based on your pics. I’ve had 2 batches of straight run BJG. Yes, they grow slowly.

The BJG might be male -the legs look very thick. However the comb is still black and that is how the female BJGs comb looks until they are older. So, I’m not positive at this age based on your pics. I’ve had 2 batches of straight run BJG. Yes, they grow slowly.
Thank you so much for your reply. I know I am just being impatient, but it is nice to learn from those way more experienced than I am. I regret only getting one, but two batches sounds fun! I will keep an eye on legs and the comb. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom