Jersey Giant Sick

May 26, 2020
I have about a 4 maybe 5 year old Jersey Giant that is very sick. Her comb has turned to a black/purplish color and she’s barely able to move. It looks like she has trouble breathing or at least is in pain. We‘ve given her Tylan 200 antibiotics for 5 days and no signs of improvement. She doesn’t eat and she drinks a little water here and there. She’s been like this for about 5 days now.

gtaus

Free Ranging
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to the BYC Forums :welcome .

Sorry to hear about your sick hen. I'm just signing on to this thread to see if anyone comes up with some good advice. I really don't know what's wrong and can't help directly. Anyway, I hope she gets better.

Scchicks213

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
I have about a 4 maybe 5 year old Jersey Giant that is very sick. Her comb has turned to a black/purplish color and she’s barely able to move. It looks like she has trouble breathing or at least is in pain. We‘ve given her Tylan 200 antibiotics for 5 days and no signs of improvement. She doesn’t eat and she drinks a little water here and there. She’s been like this for about 5 days now.
Is she pooping? Any other symptoms?

Scchicks213

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
Yes she is pooping and it’s a greenish color. We’ve checked to see if she’s egg bound as well and we couldn’t feel any egg.
She is a little older, with her comb that color and breathing, could have to do with her heart, at least thats what it sounds like instead of something that needs antibiotics.

May 26, 2020
Update: It has been about a week now since shes been sick and today she’s showing signs of improvement. Her comb is a pale pink color now and she seems to be getting rowdy in her cage. She’s a lot more active and it looks like she’s starting to eat a little. We’ve been force feeding her some rice with pedialyte and aspirin mixed in for about 4 days now.

estrju2

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Update: It has been about a week now since shes been sick and today she’s showing signs of improvement. Her comb is a pale pink color now and she seems to be getting rowdy in her cage. She’s a lot more active and it looks like she’s starting to eat a little. We’ve been force feeding her some rice with pedialyte and aspirin mixed in for about 4 days now.
Did she recover?

Top Bottom