Jersey giant space requirements

tamraclovw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Hello! I searched the forum, and many sites on the web and couldn't find out how tall a Jersey Giant is!! I'm starting a new flock of mixed birds, and building a new coop. I know about the 4sqft per bird rule, and while the giants might really need a bit more than that, I'll be having a lot of lightweight 4ish lb birds too.

I just want to make sure that my ceiling is high enough for them to be comfortable, and I want to have a higher and lower roost so everyone can be happy!!

Thanks all!! This is my first post. The first of many, I have no doubt...

Welcome to BYC!

This is my first year w/ Jerseys and I must say I'm shocked at how not giant they are. Sure, they are bigger than my sleek Leghorns, but not as big as my GL Wyandottes nor my New Hampshire Red. Giant indeed!! HUH!

So, from my meager experience w/ them I would say do not worry about accommodating their so-called giantness.

Hmm... I'd like a really giant chicken for fun for my kids. Reccomendations? OR - can you recommend a breeder? Although, since I was going through a hatchery, I was only going to get 2 female Jerseys in my big box of mixed chicks. I'm sure I couldn't do that from a private breeder.

Well, how would that work? From what I've read so far (limited research) single or very few chicks die in shipment... I'm In Kentucky! If this it too far OT, I'm happy to drop to email...

So, what's the answer we've all been waiting for - How tall are they???

Ah, Right well, I wasnt aware of your location and so no, I wouldnt ship less than15 chicks even in mid summer.

As far as height goes, I would say my roosters are at least 75 % taller than my Rhode Island Red Roosters and they are Big.

The hens are double the size of say a production red, or darn close.

Last edited:
Stan the Man is 28 inches tall at the tip of his comb. He's not quite 11 months and weighs 10 pounds. He and his gals were purchased from Cackle hatchery so they do not meet breed standard for weight.

During coop construction, I did ask for a larger sized pop door and larger nest boxes. I was also warned to have roost poles low to the ground because they might break a leg if they jump too far. Mine like to use the ramp to navigate heights and have the good sense to use it instead of jumping. Although when one does jump to the floor you definitely hear the 'thud' of feet hitting the wood floor. Also my birds preferred 2 x4 as roosts instead of the typical round pole.

Larger Boxes,larger hen door, Lower roosts, bigger roost bars - check! thanks!

Thanks for the info, all!! I might end up going with hatchery chicks anyway (28" is really tall compared to my 4lb birds!!). It's not like I won't be able to increase my flock later if I find just what I'm looking for!!

Originally, I wanted to buy from a breeder, but they could not sex very young chicks. And I liked the fact hatcheries are required to routinely test their flocks, and they offered to vaccinate day old chicks. My chicks arrived on time, and ready to eat. I expected to have some fatalities but all of them survived. While they are lacking in certain qualities that a well bred bird have, they were healthy and robust.

However, you can't beat the quality of a well bred bird from a discerning breeder.

Back
Top Bottom