Jersey giant swallowed a “wet one” wipe

PoultryPeace

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2018
I was outside and had just wiped dill relish off my hands with a wet one. My jersey giant - who is not giant but larger than my other hens - picked it up from my plate and ran off with it. I couldn’t believe it when I saw her start to swallow it. Of course I pursued but she decided if I was so interested in her treasure she best eat it very fast. She consumed the whole thing.

She’s acting fine but I’m concerned this could impact her crop. I separated her and just gave her water for the night/morning (we always add apple cider vinegar.)

So I’m wondering if we should try to clear her crop by feeding her water and massage the crop gently while holding her upside down or whether we could end up asphyxiating her because a wipe is not something that likely regurgitates easily. And of course chickens don’t vomit naturally.

Or do we wait and see how she does. Should we give her any food, which is an organic grain blend ... or will that just make things worse? Will keep her away from any grass for awhile.

Thank you for any ideas you may offer.

~ Concerned in Covington
(Jersey Girl is 15 months old. Maybe 8 pounds.)

I hope she’ll be okay too. I worry more about the detergent in the wipe than the wipe itself. My baby chicks ate a styrofoam block and I never saw a problem with them. Since she has the chemicals from the wipe you might give her plain water to rinse it down with instead of adding something acidic as a chaser.

Holy cow! I sure want to know how she is does. I hope you will post updates. So sorry you are going through this with her. I had one grab a paper towel I was using to wipe out her water dish once. She ran around with it but eventually dropped it so I could get it. Luckily she figured out it wasn't food. Do tell us what happens. Praying for you chicken.

Thank you for your comments. Jersey Girl seems to be fine this morning. Her crop feels pretty empty and firm. Doesn’t mean the wipe is not resting at the bottom of it. She had some normal chicken stool and then some softer black stool but not diarrhea. I put her back in with the rooster and the other chickens. There are nine of them together in a large run. Several in another with roo #2. Her wonderful organic grain feed has grit naturally in it. I guess we just wait but chk her daily. Thank you for praying, Valerie. We have been doing that too :)

Back
Top Bottom