Jersey giant?

quackydoodle

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Rigby, ID
About 4 months old. I got it (and 3 others like it) from Murray McMurtry hatchery. It *should* be a jersey giant (highly faulty process of elimination), but they're the smallest chickens of the bunch.

X2 I'm not an expert but my jersey giant does not have white earlobes (isn't white earlobes linked to white eggs?) My leghorn, who lays a white egg, has earlobes JUST like yours. Did you mark substitutions accepted on your order? That happened with me and is how I got my leghorn.

From MMM that would be a black Mincora.

And yes, white earlobes are usually linked to white eggs, but it's not 100%.

Minorca makes sense. Her comb isn't as big a leghorns. I knew she wasn't a Jersey Giant, she's wsy too petite. I did say I'd accept substitutions, but I thought they'd let me know if they did. Oh, well. She's everyone's favorite. She is so friendly, she thinks she's a person, ha ha.

I know a lot of backyard folks don't like white egg layers, but if you've got a variety of other colors, a white egg in the carton really makes the other colors pop.

Plus, all the rage for rainbow egg baskets aside, you don't eat the shell. Mincoras are supposed to be great layers, and since they're light bodied like Leghorns they don't eat a ton.

agree - I would be very unhappy if dark brown eggs didn't taste like chocolate. I think people want all the colors just because they are available.

I love having a rainbow of eggs in my basket. They taste the same, but it's fun knowing which chicken laid which egg, and I think it's pretty.

Minorcas are excellent layers. And are heavier built and generally much more docile than their Leghorn cousins.

Back
Top Bottom