Jersey Giants: Any correlation between Color and overal Size?!?

remme

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Jersey Shore
I was wondering what role if any does color play in the overall size of Jersey Giants. Do blacks get larger than whites or splashes? May seem like a silly question but my black JG roo and black pullet seem to be growing faster than their hatch mate a splash JG roo. Keep in mind they are in the same enclosure and privy to the same amount/type of feed and water. I know in my experience as an Aquarist that the same breed of fish can have varying sizes and growth rates dependent on their color variation (a common Tiger Oscar grows faster than an Albino Oscar but slower than a Red Oscar....in similar environments). I was wondering if this correlated to chickens as well? Thanks!

Varieties of the same breeds are often very different. Because they come from different parents. For example white chanteclers were developed by combining the white variety of several breeds; and the partidge was created years later by antoher person using the partridge varienties of the breeds listed above. So while close, unrelated and body size and egg production differs.

If I might suggest finding the JG thread and posing your question there as I am not up on the history of the JG varieties. Sorry i'm of little help. Good quetion though- hope you find your answer soon.

Back
Top Bottom