Jersey Giants or nah?

Sep 25, 2020
Forestville, NY
I bought these as chicks and was told they are giants, but they just don’t look bigger than my other chickens.

Id say they are about 6 or 7 months old

Attachments

• IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3618.jpeg
    IMG_3618.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3621.jpeg
    IMG_3621.jpeg
    789.8 KB · Views: 8
Where did you get them?
Good JGs take a long time to mature. Over a year
Hatchery JGs don't get much bigger then the other bigger breeds
I got them from Tractor supply, which I know isnt a super reliable place for breeds, but if I sell them I want to tell them or a JG. I quite honestly can’t tell the difference between JG and australorps

Last edited:
I got them from Tractor supply, which I know isnt a super reliable place for breeds, but if I sell them I want to tell them or a JG. I quite honestly can’t tell the difference between JG and australorps
An exhibition, conforms to standard JG definitely looks different than Australorp.

For males, a JG tail is wide/dpreading, while aBA has a more typical tail. The JG has a flat back, while a BA has a curve. The size should also be different, even at this age. I’ve only had exhibition BJG from a breeder.

They are hatchery type Jersey Giants. The second photo makes it simple to tell that they're not Australorps, black Orpingtons, or black Minorcas. The reason is that all of those breeds have white skin, whereas Jerseys are a yellow skinned breed. The color of the undersides of the feet is the easiest way to tell skin color, and your birds are clearly yellow in that area, not white.

They are hatchery type Jersey Giants. The second photo makes it simple to tell that they're not Australorps, black Orpingtons, or black Minorcas. The reason is that all of those breeds have white skin, whereas Jerseys are a yellow skinned breed. The color of the undersides of the feet is the easiest way to tell skin color, and your birds are clearly yellow in that area, not white.
Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom