Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Thank You sooo much I was wondering how it went cant wait for pics!! I am actually getting ready to start using a couple new roos have 3 coming on pretty nice. Our 4 new hens from Our 4th gen. are Awesome We are very pleased!! 1 splash/ 2 blues/ 1 black. We have 1 blue Roo that is going to be huge very slow grower He is quite a bit bigger than his Daddy Just might take his place. I will get some pics up tomorrow of the up & comers.

I am wondering, I got two jg's at chickenstock and tried sexing them myself over a few days, with no luck, can't tell one way or another cuz I really couldn't make "anything" pop out and didn't want to cause any discomfort so I gave up.
At what age can you begin to see any male/female differences like around combs, wattles and/or feathering?? It would be alright with ME if I have a boy and a girl, but does that pose any problem if they came from the same parentage? Im not looking to breed show quality birds or anything, just maybe increase my small 11 bird flock. Presently have 5 Chanteclers, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Rh Island Reds besides the 2 JG's.

Quote:
Oh I'd love to see those pictures!
The one blue that no matter day or night I check on them just stands above the others and they way "he" holds himself!
love.gif

I think so far he will end up as my blue breeder.
I know Wynette will like him to as so far he has everything that she has pointed out to me on my older chicks.
Her splash roo I hatched from her line was te same way. Bigger eye catching just above the others.
The blk roo from Bobbie is slower in growing but still carries himself like the other too. He has a pleasing look.
My gut has picked two for sure ( possible) breeder roosters, but I am going to wait and get help picking the keeper roosters.
The pullets are harder for me. I do have my eye on a few after I read the jg club page.
I did get 1 to hatch from that first batch.
smile.png
now after seeing the chicks grow and knowing what the po did really burns me up now.
somad.gif

At least I got some to hatch!
Thanks again!
We have to move one of the grow out kennels and move the bigger ones into it and the small into the other one then I will be able to get better pictures.
Soon as I can I'll post.

Quote:
For me I have found that about 4 weeks old you can tell the rooster comb from the hens.
You still will have some that fool you.
So to be 100% sure 6-8 wks old the roosters comb and wattles start to show color and get bigger then the pullets.
I also found that Most of the roosters get taller then the pullets not much but enough that they can look over the pullets head if side by side. I'm sure someone else will step in and help out more.
By the way welcome to the jg thread and it's great to have so many new jg lovers!
woot.gif

Here's a strange JG question. Do your birds honk like a goose? Nellie has been giving out these deep, resounding honks.Everyone stops to look and asks if that came from a chicken. I know she's a chicken, but she sure sounds like a goose.

Our are REALLY loud compared to the other chickens and deep voices like geese too!
smile.png
Any thoughts for anyone on the pic I posted on page 229 (top)? Can 2 hens (same age) be so different in coloring or a late blooming cockerel? Thanks!!!!

Quote:
From what I can tell ( sorry on my phone so not showing picture that good)
It looks like two pullets one just a tad older or if you will more mature then the other)
Hope someone that can see the picture better helps you out soon.

I lost my Splash JG rooster, and my hopes of having JG hatching eggs crashed. I still have two Black JG hens and a Splash hen. I just don't have a rooster. Ugh, that is the 2nd JG rooster I bought in a year that died!
he.gif
barnie.gif

~ Aspen

Quote:
They do sort of sound like they are honking when they're in the juvenile stage...sort of like between peeps & clucks!

Eggcellent - I honestly cannot tell from the pic posted - if you can get full body profile shots, that will make it much easier.

Fluffy - I'm so sorry! Are you experiencing predator issues? That just rots! Remember that hens can hold sperm up to 3 full weeks after a breeding...if your hens are laying, I'd collect all I could & hatch!!!

hit.gif
:hitSORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SPLASH ROO!!! I CAUGHT A COON JUST LAST NIGHT IN MY COOP. I HATE LOOSING ANY CHICKENS. I LOST 4 OF MY BLACK JG:hit:hit:hit
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I lost my Splash JG rooster, and my hopes of having JG hatching eggs crashed. I still have two Black JG hens and a Splash hen. I just don't have a rooster. Ugh, that is the 2nd JG rooster I bought in a year that died!
he.gif
barnie.gif

~ Aspen​

Back
Top Bottom