Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have noticed with the majority of ours that the pullets will show longer tail feathers first. It may not be 100%, but I think you will get most of them with this method. My other breeds usually show up in 2 weeks, but yes, the Jersey Giants take longer. I think 4 weeks sounds about right.

Can anybody confirm this theory. My JG's are getting to 4 weeks now. Wing feathers are in, and tail feathers are growing or have started to in the last few days. However some appear to have no tails while others have them. Would the ones with out tail feathers be Cockerals, and Pullets are the ones with Tail feathers?
I have some that are 6 weeks old and am thinking the same thing. My 2 with a lot less feathers I am suspecting are cockerels, and the 3 totally feathered I am hoping are pullets.

I've noticed the same thing, that "usually" the females' tails will come in first. That's not always the case, though. I can typically tell them apart by comb/wattle growth by 2 weeks.

Just had to share..
I talked to my neighbor this am.. who said. to hubby " John that rooster sure sounds big.. today" and he looks out their front window to see My Flash.. roo.. making friendly with their hens.. seems he's been going over to visit over there.. since the missus deemed their 2 roosters as unsociable.. and they went to freezer camp.!

She's excited to have fertel eggs again.. and wants to put them in the incubator.. ( So i guess? she's not up set...?)

I told her.. tho I'll do some thing different.. if she wants.. I dont want these going to freezer camp..

any way.. pretty boy floyd.. is wooing the neighbor girls..

An electric fence is ok in some instances but I have 6 acres and would like them to have all of it to forage. I should be able to do that if my neighbors would take care of their maurauding dogs. I am working on getting rid of them by petitioning the neighbors. They all have had trouble with them.

Hate to say it reinvestment, but I know where we are, nothing solves dog problems like 12ga. Typical here is a nice talking where you explain the situation. A second time they might find a BB or paintball in their ***. Third time dead dog.

With 6 acres, perhaps getting a guard animal of some sort is an option. Especially geese/swans and hooved animals can be quite defensive of their turf, and they wont try and eat chickens. Ofcourse, it all depends on how large and bad these dogs are.. a big vicious dog can take down anything.

Hi Im new here and I LOVE JGs! I want to have one ir two as pets but I want to hatch them and raise them. I want the black ones does any know where i can purchase just a few hatching eggs? I dont want more to be over run by chickens as i have other chickens and one roo that we started with. The jgs will have special treatment lol. I live in WI and i dont have anyone to go in on an order from a hatchery. Only looking for maybe 4 eggs tops. Any help would be much appreciated!

I ordered my eggs on eBay from Kim Cooper her eBay I'D is savanchan I ordered 8 she shipped 12 all of them fertile I have 10 little ones that hatched today I'm so ecstatic! My first hatch my homemade incubator was a success...
now all I need is to be able to sex them...

Back
Top Bottom