Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Ouch! Do you know what did it? I came home to my largest pure white, correct leg color pullet dead outside of their run a month ago, didn't know what did it cause it was gone. Then I saw a hawk trying to get another :mad:   it didn't hurt any of them. All runs have bird netting on them now...
It wouldn't have upset me so bad if it got one of the ones I planned on culling, no the best one. Still have three really nice pullets though.
yeah i know that feeling. But hawks arent a major problem around me, just a crap ton of raccons and opossums

I've always heard the white is dominate and most will come out white, some will be black. I've been told if I have a problem with the size of my white giants I can breed them to a good breeder quality black to increase their size, and just cull for white. Doesn't look like I will have a problem with size so far though, they are twice the size of my sussex same age( I think at 21 weeks when I weighed them?) leg and feet bones very thick, but they only weigh a pound more then the sussex. I guess it's true what they say, they build their frame first and then put on weight. The giants run like dinosaurs, kinda funny.

Okay, Thank you, Beer Can. I actually had an uncle named Beer Can. Never knew his real name even after he past. Had awesome times with him, thank you for the smile.

I am new to this thread and breed so I have a question. I hatched some JG eggs about 5 weeks ago the blues are fully feathered out but the blacks are not. Is this common? I understand they will loose and regrow feathers at this age but only the blacks have some areas that need feathers.

Okay, Thank you, Beer Can. I actually had an uncle named Beer Can. Never knew his real name even after he past. Had awesome times with him, thank you for the smile.

I had a uncle named Dooley, name came from the Utica Club brewery in NY, they had a talking beer stein named that. I always thought it was his real name when I was a kid, then when I was older I thought people were picking on him, he was six foot five and 300 lbs Lol!
They are known as Saranac now and in my opinion better beer than Sam Adams, very similar style of various brews, but Saranac has the bitterness that I like, Sam Adams is very good, but too much like a big brewer. Utica is a college town and they kept hearing 'what ever happened to the Utica Club my dad talks about?' So they make it in limited quantities in select places, it was known as a cheap beer for the 'sophisticated'. I happened upon some, and they were just awful, no wonder they changed their name and quit making it. Saranac, and I brew my own, is a phenomenal brew, one of the best 'micro brew beers' out there.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-004&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-004&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla&tt=b
Not computerly litterate, wish I knew how to shorten links.....

Last edited:
I'd check with the breeder to find out if they are late bloomers and I think the black are completely seperate then the white

The whites came from the blacks, They are not separate, they are the same breed. Well known for capons before the cornish crosses took over the meat industry. I chose the whites instead of the blacks blues and splash, only because I like to be different, nobody seems to care about the whites, the others are awesome birds, but who has white giants? I hope I can help make sure these wonderful birds can live on.

The whites came from the blacks, They are not separate, they are the same breed. Well known for capons before the cornish crosses took over the meat industry. I chose the whites instead of the blacks blues and splash, only because I like to be different, nobody seems to care about the whites, the others are awesome birds, but who has white giants? I hope I can help make sure these wonderful birds can live on.

I have black Giants. To me, the white Giants look like they are wearing rubber boots.

@Framac At what age do your giants start laying? I still have to put nest boxes on their new breeder coop. I got them June 2 so I really don't think they will start laying this winter?
Mine start laying between 5.5 and 7 months. I got some birds from people who told me theirs never lay before 8 months, but in my hands they were laying before 6. Feeding, Lighting and space will all factor in.

Back
Top Bottom