Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I am in the process of planning, building a nest box for my new coop. My JG isn't laying yet, but when she does I assume she will need a bigger box than my other 7 hens. (See signature for breeds). Can I build just one big box and the rest standard size, or should they all be the same size? They'll all probably end up using the same box anyway. I can either build one large and two smaller boxes, or two overly large. I have about 43" (i can use less space but not more) width wise to work in.

Ok, how could I tell if my birds are really jersey giants or if they are blue orpingtons or crossed? Do the orpingtons have more black on the feet?

I would guess the best way is to compare your birds to the SOP, or standards for each breed. That said, depending on where they came from, such as a hatchery, lines can be blurred. Just because a bunch of birds do not match a breed description, does not mean they are not that breed.

As for nest box, well I'm cruel and when my JG's start to lay, they'll be sharing 14x14 nest boxes with the leghorns. LOL. If A 10.5lb rooster can fit into a 14x14 box with his bottom out the edge to tell girls where to lay... a hen will fit. LOL

I know she would fit in my current boxes, but since I have the opportunity to make them whatever size I want, I figured I might as well accommodate Leila :).

She started to roost a few days ago finally! The three black hens all roost together (JG, BCM and BSL), and the other five roost together. It's pretty cute. They tend to roost in order small to large LOL.

I know she would fit in my current boxes, but since I have the opportunity to make them whatever size I want, I figured I might as well accommodate Leila :).

She started to roost a few days ago finally! The three black hens all roost together (JG, BCM and BSL), and the other five roost together. It's pretty cute. They tend to roost in order small to large LOL.
If you are making them, I'd go 18 Inches.

Regards,

Framac

Ok, I see what you are saying about Hank's shape now. the girls are a bit more linear and and 2 of the girls do have more yellow on the bottoms of the feet but 1 girl and the Hank are lighter. Not white but yellowish. Thanks for your input.
This is a problem I had when i started with Giants. The SOP says that "complete absence of yellow" is a disqualification. The yellow varies from bird to bird in the same family of birds, and diet has alot to do with how bright the yellow they have does show up. And then when they are laying the yellow color in thier feet is the first part of their body to loose the yellow. Whew! Its a rather complex subject with Giants. Judge Frank Harris rubs the foot bottoms which will increase blood flow to the feet and show a hint of yellow if they have any yellow color at all, and are laying which has pulled alot of the yellow pigment. And this also rubs off yellow color if they have been "faked" with something to try to fool a judge. If a judge doesnt take all these things into consideration and rejects a bird on a glance at the feet they could be passing on a good bird. I have a friend that had a few giants and showed @ the crossroads in '11 and did well. 2 months later the same birds were marked at a local show for "pad color" . They had been on purina flockraiser w/ marigold extract (for yellow yolks and skin....ie it helps brighten yellow pad color. It will NOT turn white feet yellow) They had switched to a diff feed that didnt have the marigold extract. Now you may ask??????? Are u telling me Giants need marigold extract to have yellow feet? No i am not. The intensity of the yellow pigment comes from yellow food stuffs. Corn provides this too. But as corn prices have increased feed producers supplement protien w something cheaper to keep costs down. My pelleted feed changed colors a couple of years ago. It is darker......doesnt have as much corn in it as it used to. I let a friend have 8 pullets last summer @ 6 mos old. I told them i wanted 2 back in the late fall. These 8 birds ran loose 24/7 and foraged for themselves. The only feed they got was cracked corn. Something killed 4 of them so i only got one bird back. This birds feet were several shades brighter than those of her sisters that had been kept at my place on a pelleted feed and allowed to freerange in the evenings. I am no expert but these are some of my experiences with pad color. Back in the "Old Days" people freeranged and fed whole grains. Now we have to keep our birds hemmed up because of predators or worse.....somebodys roaming dog that kills for sport. I would like to hear others input and experiences. SHANE.

Shane, I am in agreement with you. There was a thread on here a few years ago (it actually may be at the very beginning of THIS thread) that spoke of exactly what you do. That you can't "make" their pads yellow, but you can intensify it by selecting supplements specifically for that purpose. If I recall, the conversation then went into spices, and Cumin was mention, as well as Turmeric. I believe both are yellow (though I am not a good cook & am not completely sure). The person mentioned getting large containers of each at Gordon's Food Supply (I think that must be like a Sam's Club), and adding a tsp. per 5# of feed.

Most definitely if they are out foraging on their own, they'll have access to dark, leafy greens, which also helps.

I also have noted the yellow lightening up while in lay. (The entire shanks of Plymouth Rocks, which are supposed to be yellow, will also lighten up when the hens are in lay to what they call "dusky" yellow - sidebar.)

However, even when the yellow pads are quite light, in my experience, you can still discern a yellow cast as opposed to a white or slate one.

They ended up about 16 wide x 17 deep x 17 tall (in front) and 14 tall (in back). They seem HUGE.
They won't when your Giant is in there!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom