Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Billjr, I'm so jealous of your splashes :p. I want one!

Oh, and Sara! I got my first JG egg today! My dad said he found it on the floor of the coop as if it just fell out when she was eating. LOL Spring is coming!

Last edited:
Billjr, I'm so jealous of your splashes :p. I want one!

Oh, and Sara! I got my first JG egg today! My dad said he found it on the floor of the coop as if it just fell  out when she was eating. LOL Spring is coming!

Diane! Yay! That means I should be getting one anyday! I'll tell Leila her sister laid an egg--maybe tht will encourage her :)

I'm looking for some hatching eggs for this spring. I love the look and temperment of JGs and would love to get some feedback from anyone who might be having some eggs available in the near future. I'm in WA state and have had eggs shipped before.

Anyone know if duane urch BJG are huge and good quality? They are my 2nd breed of choice I picked so it's 50 50 if I get any at all but I prob will get a few.

Last edited:
I'm looking for some hatching eggs for this spring. I love the look and temperment of JGs and would love to get some feedback from anyone who might be having some eggs available in the near future. I'm in WA state and have had eggs shipped before.
You might want to check with Sherene Jennings. She is VP of the JG club, and also in WA.

I'm looking for some hatching eggs for this spring.  I love the look and temperment of JGs and would love to get some feedback from anyone who might be having some eggs available in the near future.  I'm in WA state and have had eggs shipped before.

I have JG's in blue and black. I'm in Oregon; will send you a private msg.

No Pictures yet, but out of 7 eggs, I got 5 chicks with my first hatch of the year. 3 blues and 2 blacks.

I told my wife this weekend I want to hatch at least 50 giants, to pick the best few to move forward with. That is in addition to the other breeds we have. I ducked in time and the pot missed my head. The Wall has been repaired. Do you think she it trying to tell me something?

Framac

Framac - MANY THANKS for this post - it brough a huge smile to my face, and folks...make sure you don't have a mouth full of coffee when you're reading on here! (it is no fun coming back out through your nostrils.... )

...so I think I must have some JG's. I have found a breeder who has black, blue, white, splash, and lavender. I'm leaning to the blue. What are the genteics on breeding them? Do 2 blue five you blue and black? How about the lavender? Does anyone have some pictures of lavender and splash they would share. Will JG fit in with my existing flock? From what I have read they are calm and will be okay around kids. What can you tell me. I went back to page 375 and read to this point. Thanks for anything you can tell me.

there is no lavender... or not to my knowledge

I have not heard of lavender, either. My guess would be someone must have used Orpington to cross to a blue Giant to "make" them. If that's the case, your lavender (actually "self blue" is what it's called) will have much looser feathering. The feather shafts should ideally be white for self blue. I would be curious to know who the breeder is (please PM me with that info.!)

I went to a youth show and got Reserve Champion American with my black JG hen!
smile.png

Champion American was a beautiful white Rock.

WOOT! CONGRATS!!!

Sorry I've not been posting much...I have been super, super SUPER busy this year thus far. I am NOT liking it. I did attend the Newnan, GA show the weekend of 2/15 - not a Giant to be seen. I SO wish I'd have taken a few!

I don't yet have a picture, but I have a ?

I just got a pullet that has just started to lay, approx 9 months or so old.

She is claimed to be a "pure" JG, Black but her feathers have some brown tones in them - should I assume from this that she is not actually pure / Heritage stock, but rather a nice hatchery gal? (She has a wonderful calm friendly disposition & I'm told her recent first eggs were large so she is part of my layer flock at least) I'm just curious if pullets sometimes show some brown? Thanks.
Don't discount that they may be pure Giants; my line is VERY nice, but I have seen some with a bit of brown tones in them. Again - type is VERY VERY good in this line, and I'll be single mating to see if I can trace these very, very slight brown tones down to a single hen. It's called "leakage" and is common in blacks and blues, but I'm told by my genetics contacts that it CAN be eliminated.

First time out in the yard. Prince Galliant and his now three hen larger harem. Three pullets
and the cockerel are 11 months now from Wynette's eggs. The splash hen and two blues are
3 yrs old now. The black pullet is very nice along with the splash hen. Two blue pullets are
finishing a molt. The meet and greet went smoothly.

Bill - great pics, thanks for sharing! Do you happen to have any weights on your birds?

Last edited:
Ok sorry but you will have to bear with me I just had to take some photos of an extra roo from last yrs hatch That I have running around the barn yard! All these photos are of him just different locations.

HOPE YOU ENJOY!

Back
Top Bottom