Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Leila the JG is *finally* laying! I think she is 10 months old. She laid a rubbery shelled egg 2 days ago, a really bumpy misshapen egg yesterday, and today's was perfect and large. Yay! I built giant nest boxes to make her comfortable a couple of months ago, but she chooses to lay on the coop floor. Sigh. I guess it works.

And I had my first 6 egg day today. I jumped from 4 a day to 6, skipping over 5 completely. (I have 8 hens)

I am looking for a photo of hatchery quality White Jersey Giants. Since we use a nationwide network of hatcheries we are looking only for hatchery quality birds. Even if you did not order them from Purely Poultry it is quite likely that we use the hatchery where you got your birds from. Photos used on our website will be compensated $2.00 via pay pal or $3.00 store credit to purelypoultry.com . Private message me if you have a photo that we can use. Thanks!

The JG coop is starting to come along. A couple of questions for you vets. I made the nesting boxes 18x18. Is keeping them 24" off the floor to high? Should I have a roosting bar in front of the nesting boxes? And should I have another roosting bar, and how high of the floor is a good height?

Thank you for the help!

Mike

Leila the JG is *finally* laying! I think she is 10 months old. She laid a rubbery shelled egg 2 days ago, a really bumpy misshapen egg yesterday, and today's was perfect and large. Yay! I built giant nest boxes to make her comfortable a couple of months ago, but she chooses to lay on the coop floor. Sigh. I guess it works.

And I had my first 6 egg day today. I jumped from 4 a day to 6, skipping over 5 completely. (I have 8 hens)
woot.gif
Congrats! I've been getting about 9 eggs a day! From hens under a year, to hens six years of age.
cool.png

The JG coop is starting to come along. A couple of questions for you vets. I made the nesting boxes 18x18. Is keeping them 24" off the floor to high? Should I have a roosting bar in front of the nesting boxes? And should I have another roosting bar, and how high of the floor is a good height?

Thank you for the help!

Mike

Think most keep things as close as possible to the floor for their JG's so they don't hurt themselves jumping down. That said, my nest boxes and coop are not JG specific so my two nest boxes are one on top of the other, with the bottom one being like 14 inches up. They mostly use that lower one. And I do have a step up bar in front of each nest box. My roost is like 18 inches up with a deep shavings floor. Having the sleeping roost bars above the level of the nests can prevent sleeping in nest boxes.

I got one...

The feed store had Black Jersey Giants. I will be getting my blue in a few weeks.

Oh I can't wait till I get some replacement chicks this year!!! Fuzzyness glaore!

Oh, LOL, Sara! My dad found the first JG egg on the floor too. Apparently siblings had the same idea about what to do with their eggs. I need to ask my parents if subsequent eggs have been in the nest or not. They are getting 2-3 eggs a day now, but I only have 3 leghorns and the two big chunky JG's, of which only one is laying. LOL. The leghorns took the winter off, but that is expected for their 2nd winter and didn't grow up their replacements.

Last edited:
Oh, LOL, Sara! My dad found the first JG egg on the floor too. Apparently siblings had the same idea about what to do with their eggs. I need to ask my parents if subsequent eggs have been in the nest or not. They are getting 2-3 eggs a day now, but I only have 3 leghorns and the two big chunky JG's, of which only one is laying. LOL. The leghorns took the winter off, but that is expected for their 2nd winter and didn't grow up their replacements.
She continues to lay on the coop floor. She has created a nest in the shavings and hunkers down there. It's funny how small she looks when she is nesting. She gets very... compact.

I'll be sad if/when Blanche stops laying next winter. She's my girl, I don't want her to get old.

She continues to lay on the coop floor. She has created a nest in the shavings and hunkers down there. It's funny how small she looks when she is nesting. She gets very... compact.

I'll be sad if/when Blanche stops laying next winter. She's my girl, I don't want her to get old.

Oh, don't worry if she stops laying, most greatly decrease their laying at like 3-4 years old, with maybe one or two here and there, but they will live on to eat all your feed for the next decade provided something doesn't get-em first. LOL

Thank you. I will continue to hold them and bribe them with treats until I gain their trust!

Handling makes a huge difference in birds. I gave two leghorns of of of my batches to a little girl who held them all day and night. Well, when her mate got eaten by a coon 4 years later and I got the other back, it was the fattest calmest leghorn I have ever seen. All mine were raised as livestock and would come for food and run if you looked at them wrong. This one loved pet was not only well fed and fat, you could reach out to pick her up, poke her side, lift her wing, grab her leg, hold her on her back, flop her comb around, and she'd just stand or sit there like nothing was happening.That bird had some serious handling and cuddling in it's time and was like a living rag doll. She didn't lay eggs but due to her temperament, she went to a pet home vs where the rest go.

Back
Top Bottom