Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Thanks for the advice! I bought my eggs from a known breeder her name is Kim Cooper I bought them on eBay all but one successfully hatched.. only 4 are with short wings the rest are have longer wing tips.. has anybody even sexed them that way??? I know other birds u can???
That's not a Black Giant.  If it's a Giant, it's a blue.  It is said that American breeds (which Giants are) can be feather sexed, but I can't personally speak to that.  I hatch so many that I haven't the time to check wings, personally.  :)   Would love to know if it works for you!  Other things to look for are thickness of shanks (thicker is more likely a male).  Also, I have been told that you can look at the chick's head in provide at about 2 weeks and be able to tell based on how the comb joins the beak.  If it more "Roman nosed" looking, it's a male.  If there is more of a distinct break between the comb and the beak, female.

In purebred Giants, as well as many other breeds, the wing tips will be white like this, and will motl out on one of the juvenile molts.  Should be gone by 16-18 weeks.
Yes, they love meal worms, but if you are feeding them to chicks, please be sure to provide chick grit - they need it to process the worms.  I've actually been talking to my husband about starting a meal worm "farm" at home for my chickens.  Frankly, they disgust me ( :sick  ) but hubby is a fisher and he could use them for that, as well.  So I'm really hoping he does decide to grow them at home!

Oh.. I'm so glad. .to have found ya'all ( oops .. we're not in texas any more toto)
I wish i could be at the Mo. confrence and show.. this weekend.. I'm sure glad some of you are going.

Thanks for the advise, Wynette. I also picked up breeding trios when I got my eggs, so I am getting several eggs a day from my flock, to put in the bator. I tried spreading things out with my last breed, and never did get it all worked out right, got chicks here, eggs here, rooster there. Never got anything cordinated together to get it right, and get things self sustained. This time, though, I went a different route, and am going to get it right. I am really fond of the giants, I have all blacks at this point, but plan on working in some blues next year, as I like the blues. I will keep you all posted on how this works out for me this time.
Clay.. It looks like i'm following in your foot steps.. ( of the first time.. that your now correcting). I guess we live and learn ; ) I hope to. but I had to start some where.
I did not pick up a trio.. however i got 2 males.. one Black one Splash and just got 6 chicks in.. ( I think there is a cockrel in the groop of girls.. )
so.. my question.. is.. - I guess i was thinking like human breeding .. not chicken breeding.. in that .. "they" discourage inbreeding in humans.. but what i am getting.. here at the byc.. is that you breed with in "lines".. and that is why you want to get a trio of a breeding family??

some one set me strait here.. please? - I was probably looking at this all the wrong way..
There are members here that have blues, look in the for sale section, and you may find some eggs or chicks.
clay.. lets pretend.. I'm deaf dumb and blind.. ( ok 1 out of 3 grin.. well it feels that way some day's)
how would i find... that.. sale section
and since there is .. a little bit of "opinion" here about who.. one should and should not get there birds from
it also seems like its a secret.. hey.. let me in.. ( this all said with a grin on my face.. )
since it would be in poor taste to ask who not to buy from,
could some one recommend 3.. (for blues / splash) who are still in the buisness.. of shipping eggs.
I will be interested next year.. in improving.. but it may take a year.. to "do your home work" so to speak.
thanks..
--

I have one week left before my hatch and I hope it goes well.Two of my cockerels had a bad winter and had frostbite one the comb. My breeder did not. Are Jersey cockerels high strung? He seems to squawk all day. I moved him to the layers coop to give the hens a break.

Welcome, Bush Chickens and Azer! Please note that this thread does not have a ton of regular posters...most of us here are breeders working to improve & move the breed forward. I'm glad you have found some Giants and are enjoying them - but give folks time to provide feedback.

I have been posting regarding doing your research, and not believing everything you hear or read in the vein of hoping that no one here gets "taken" when looking to purchase exhibition-quality Giants. Of course, we all know there are good breeders and bad ones. There are also some who may not have the best interest of this breed as their first decision maker when selling. In discussing this with my friend and mentor, Sher Jennings, V.P. of the National Jersey Giant Club, she has asked me to post this note from her:

Recently I learned that someone is using a very old endorsement from me to sell their Jersey Giants online.......blues and blacks. This individual sells "pet quality" Giants and "show quality" chicks and if that isn't bad enough, charges a LOT of money from people who trust her. I canNOT be heartfelt enough when I tell you that I do NOT endorse such nonsense or anyone who victimizes people with such fodder in the interest of personal gain. There are no such things as "show quality" chicks. And "pet quality" Giants shouldn't be reproducing and taking us.......people who care enough about preserving this wonderful breed to be researching and asking questions and spending money on good birds............. further away from what true Giants are.
Warmest Regards,
Sher Jennings - Vice President, NJGC

Well it just never ceases to amaze (and appall) me the things people will do to make a buck! And it's unfortunate that buyers, of the high-dollar "pet" chickens, don't do a little research and find breeders with quality JG's.....for the same price.
barnie.gif

Finally got caught up on this thread, love hearing about everyone's ventures with their Giants! Lots of cute chick pics and what a fantastic compliment from the judge at the show-Congrats on that!! Speaking of shows, we're having one this weekend in WA, put on by PNPA. I'm taking 8 and what a job bathing yesterday. By the time I finished I was dripping wet too
wink.png

Hope the hatches are improving; I too had a SLOW start as the girls just wouldn't cooperate. Going strong now and I'm excited to hatch some eggs from the show group.

Here's a few pics of some of my blues; they were just under a year old when I took them.

Well it just never ceases to amaze (and appall) me the things people will do to make a buck! And it's unfortunate that buyers, of the high-dollar "pet" chickens, don't do a little research and find breeders with quality JG's.....for the same price.
barnie.gif

Ok.. Stand back.. I'm gonna say it like it is.. ( in my not so humble opinion.. right now any how..)

( edit.. by me.. - Feathers.. this is not .. hummm typed in a mean.. way.. i wish.. meaning could be put better in 2 dimentions of an email post.. but its just hard to do.. I hope you will not take offence.. In my opinion.. I am not afraid .. to say what is not being said here. and for the new person.. who may not ask .. and just read's thru.. I am doing what i wish others would do .. when they have knowledge. Just say it .. like it is. and I'll decide whether i'll believe you opinion)

and i think some of ya'all are just chicken
.... and not in the Stand up and be tough like a rooster
like a Chicken ...

Tip toeing around the subject..,.] What are you afraid.. of..

If your really so worried about the unsuspecting buyer.. and the betterment of the breed
- then why not say what your up to.. and state that its your opinion..
and as far as i know.. its still legal. I'll take the hit for you..we'll find out if .. they boot me off.

Instead you hint around.. keeping secrets..
Blaming ( the person like me...).. the unknowing for not knowing.. really.
Saying stuff like.. do your home work.

I tried to hold my fingers (tongue) about all this.. but i cannot..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read the past few pages only so I will be brief since we are all coming out here... This site doesnt usually allow tasteless attacks which explains the subtle hints, this [person] is using a flim flam man tactic to get better than pet prices for her birds... nothing new there. IMO it is junior high and decietful. If someone like myself has culls, sell them as culls, my culls are usually better than most any pet or hatchery quality after all it is bloodlines that count not randomness. Some of the best breeders out there do not advertise on the web. Their product wins shows and people come a knockin' ... the serious ones that is. As for crediting a winner to one breeder that is ignorance plain and simple of the hard work that goes into breeding any show winner. I have gotten crappy birds from show winning eggs and anyone knows that years of selective breeding can be lost in one generation of crappy selection of breeders. My .05 cents (inflation adjustment :)

I am confused as to why [someone] is suddenly be attacked. I bought a straight run from her this spring. Started the process in January. I have been extremely happy with her. She emailed when she said she would, she called if she had questions, and returned calls. As far as price. Was she the more expensive of all the breeders I searched out? Yep by a lot! But from what research I could find on her and other breeders and hatcheries. I liked how she was hands on. She wasn't a chicken factory so to speak. Her lines appear (granted I am a newbie and may learn differently) good. My chicks all seem to be developing normally, healthy and no severe defects or any that I have been able to find. (Again, new to chickens) I will say as a business person who own three business's.

The backhanded implications here are very unprofessional and unbecoming. If you have a problem, approach the other business directly and work it out. You NEVER bad mouth another business if you are a competing business unless your running for office. Then its all politics and all rules go out the window. If she is truly as horrible and bad as you say. The customers will find out in their own ways, and will make the necassary adjustments to her pocket book. At which time she will have the choice to make changes or not. Forum's like these are perfect for consumers to get information from other consumers. That is how information is transferred.

I know I will do more business with her. She treated me right, and I know other customers she has done very well. I have yet to hear or see complaints in this forum about her. And yes I did take the time to read almost all 418 pages of this thread.

Anyways. I just wanted to put that out there. Lets get back to talking coops and seeing pics of this spring's hatchings!

I have to agree with BBSsnooks. Sorry if that is wrong, I don't feel like hitting back on my browser, which would have been easier then typing all this. But allas. Anyways.

If you are mad because she is getting business you are not. I can say from my research and from what I could tell. And there really is not much on the web about JG's, is that she is one of the top dogs. Not because of what her site says, but because she is one of the ONLY sites you can find. You can find hatchery's that have JG's. But you don't see much on breeders at all! As well as might I say. The JG club site is horrible. No information there, nothing about raising, nothing about breeders, nothing about the bird, nothing about nothing aside for some out dated meeting dates. If I recall, she was one of the only breeders listed there. So if a quality breeder really is interested in taking their business to the next level. Maybe they should spend a little time and money and get their internet presence running!

PSSST, Just putting a website up doesn't get you traffic. You gotta SEO that mug! Get hits, direct traffic, facebook, you gotta move people over there. Then Google will move you up the ladder.

Oh.. I'm so glad. .to have found ya'all ( oops .. we're not in texas any more toto)
I wish i could be at the Mo. confrence and show.. this weekend.. I'm sure glad some of you are going.

Clay.. It looks like i'm following in your foot steps.. ( of the first time.. that your now correcting). I guess we live and learn ; ) I hope to. but I had to start some where.
I did not pick up a trio.. however i got 2 males.. one Black one Splash and just got 6 chicks in.. ( I think there is a cockrel in the groop of girls.. )
so.. my question.. is.. - I guess i was thinking like human breeding .. not chicken breeding.. in that .. "they" discourage inbreeding in humans.. but what i am getting.. here at the byc.. is that you breed with in "lines".. and that is why you want to get a trio of a breeding family??

some one set me strait here.. please? - I was probably looking at this all the wrong way..
clay.. lets pretend.. I'm deaf dumb and blind.. ( ok 1 out of 3 grin.. well it feels that way some day's)
how would i find... that.. sale section
and since there is .. a little bit of "opinion" here about who.. one should and should not get there birds from
it also seems like its a secret.. hey.. let me in.. ( this all said with a grin on my face.. )
since it would be in poor taste to ask who not to buy from,
could some one recommend 3.. (for blues / splash) who are still in the buisness.. of shipping eggs.
I will be interested next year.. in improving.. but it may take a year.. to "do your home work" so to speak.
thanks..
--
First off; I am by no means an expert and am still very green when it comes to breeding chickens, but have done tons of research, and have plans to try and implement some of what I have found during the course of my research. With that being said, I will try to convey to you some of my findings. This is by no means any reason to try as I say, or any reason to change any plans of sort you may already be using, as I have stated, I have not implemented any of these practices, so if any of you have and they did not work for you, please let me/us know so the issues could be addressed.

Second off, inbreeding in any program could bring forth traits you would like to see, but may also do the same with traits you do not want; or even worse, hide traits you do not want until they come out in birds you have sold, if done for an extended period of time, giving you a bad rap and name in the chicken community. Sometime these, not so wanted traits, can hide until you out cross; but could also come from good parent stock in an out cross. Just because all the parent stock is SQ does not guarantee the offspring will be. I plan to try to use a method called a rolling breeding program, since I will be starting with a very small flock. This is where you breed your young rooster to your older hens, and your older rooster to the younger hens, and cull out all but the best of the oldest of you flock. In my mind this will keep inbreeding to a minimum, as the younger rooster will only be related to one of the older hens, and that is if she was not culled.

Third off, to get to the buy/sell/trade section of the forums, hover over the forum menu link at the top, and go down to the buy/sell/trade link and you can browse all the posts listed on there. I have seen the Blue JGs on there before.

Fourth off, as I stated before, I do not think there are any SQ chicks, and there is no guarantee that SQ parents will produce SQ off-spring, so all one can really do is try to do the best they can when it comes to building flock stock, and work the defects out yourself. I would like to find a magical paradise when perfect SQ Blues roam freely, but I am prepared to have to work on my flock after the initial introduction, as anyone should be.

I hope all my ramblings do not make the water tooo muddy for you, and good luck to us all on our programs.

Back
Top Bottom