Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Well my hatch went like a hatch from hell. I think some of the chicks have mushy chick, one has a bloated gut and is slow to move around. out of 13 eggs 5 hatched and three more may be trying to get out. I had the humidity at 55% for the first 20 days and it's 65% now. They started hatching on day 22 and more on day23 and might get some day 24. I have the Hova 1588 so the temp was right on, any ideas. And I got the pic of the 1st chick that is now in the brooder under a heat lamp running around.

Thanks got some answers, I think next time I will dry incubate until day19 or so. Here is my meaty bird mix, nothing I would breed but when My Jersey cockerel came of age he took an interest in the Ranger hens so I hatched them for meat birds. Black Jersey Giant is so strong I can't say I see the Ranger genetics. Took them out of the brooder and put them out in the run to get sun and fun. I ended up with 5 Healthy Giants from the hatch and today on day 26 when I was redy to give up and clean the incubator with bleach my 2 Ranger chicks are hatching, one is out and another is working on it. Go figure why a day 26 hatch.

Thanks got some answers, I think next time I will dry incubate until day19 or so. Here is my meaty bird mix, nothing I would breed but when My Jersey cockerel came of age he took an interest in the Ranger hens so I hatched them for meat birds. Black Jersey Giant is so strong I can't say I see the Ranger genetics. Took them out of the brooder and put them out in the run to get sun and fun. I ended up with 5 Healthy Giants from the hatch and today on day 26 when I was redy to give up and clean the incubator with bleach my 2 Ranger chicks are hatching, one is out and another is working on it. Go figure why a day 26 hatch.
WOW !!!!
I never would have waited that long, let me know how the second ranger chick does.

Festus.. April 2013 photo's for critique

Festus..
I apologize.. for the photo's
there isn't any thing for size to compare... and background is too dark
.. i didn't make it easy.. to see what's what.
I'll see if i pay them a little better next time..

GOOD LOOKING COCK BIRD!!! LOOK AT THAT LONG BACK
tongue.png
ALL I CAN SAY IS
thumbsup.gif

splash is not a SOP color in JG only Black and Blue. So a Splash can never beat a Black or Blue in Best of Breed.

Festus has a longer length on back and slope on tail to make him a better show bird This is just my opinion!
I can also see a good green sheen on the feathers
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom