Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

BlackTNGiants - that male appears to me to be at least 2 yrs. or close to it by the length of his spurs, yes? I mean no offense, but are you sure that is a Black Giant? It doesn't look like a Giant to me, and it's not black...it appears to be blue - at least to me. Tail is much too long, held at much too high of an angle, legs are the wrong color, wing carriage incorrect...please don't misunderstand, again, I mean no offense. But, I would respectfully encourage you to not use this male for breeding.

(ETA - see the cockerel in my avatar? This is not a Giant, but this bird's tail is held at 45 degrees - that's much higher than the 30 that a Giant's tail should be held at.)

Last edited:
i had to have one of my ladies culled today
hit.gif
a dog got her and ripped her from behind all her egg sack was hanging out and had a broken leg
sad.png
i only had 2 , both sisters , but she was a mess,the dog was a 6mth old working cocker ! probably only wanted to play but it ragged her around, i couldnt let her suffer

BlackTNGiants - that male appears to me to be at least 2 yrs. or close to it by the length of his spurs, yes? I mean no offense, but are you sure that is a Black Giant? It doesn't look like a Giant to me, and it's not black...it appears to be blue - at least to me. Tail is much too long, held at much too high of an angle, legs are the wrong color, wing carriage incorrect...please don't misunderstand, again, I mean no offense. But, I would respectfully encourage you to not use this male for breeding.

(ETA - see the cockerel in my avatar? This is not a Giant, but this bird's tail is held at 45 degrees - that's much higher than the 30 that a Giant's tail should be held at.)
Im am not sure he is a Giant one reason for posting the pic and looking for advice on him he was sold to me at a auction as a Black Jersey Giant rooster.. he was my first chicken i have owned my adult life..since buying them about a month ago i have been looking into the breed and looking at many pics of the breed and knew he wasnt a "ideal" BJG and wondered myself if he was pure or from bad breeding.. but anyways i have 15 perfect looking lil BJG babies now that are black legged as they come and pretty lil yellow feet pads..lol..Thanks Wynette

I have seen many pics of chickens (from hatching eggs sales) with high tails. That one reasons I did not buy them. The other is that the the rear body feathers nad thigh feathers looked too blue/blue-ish. Like I could see white down coming through and was unsure if that was correct. So I am learning too.

I do now it says "More than one half inch of positive white showing on surface......." But my question is the rear and side feather/fluff? The fluff closest to the skin. ? If it too should be black then we have a lot of culls out there. Okay that did not sound right but you know what I am trying to say.

You know 2 years ago when I was a chicken newbie, I bought a grown JG Roo from a man CONVINCED it was a JG. It was a Black Australorp. I suppose without having one of each side by side and seeing the adult size difference (pds) and the different color of the bottom of the feet, it would be hard to tell them apart. But as a mid-juvie with out the bottom of the foot color difference you would have a very hard time. I think as we work with them more it will be on the spot evident. LOL

GOOD LOOKING COCK BIRD!!! LOOK AT THAT LONG BACK
tongue.png
ALL I CAN SAY IS
thumbsup.gif

splash is not a SOP color in JG only Black and Blue. So a Splash can never beat a Black or Blue in Best of Breed.

Festus has a longer length on back and slope on tail to make him a better show bird This is just my opinion!
I can also see a good green sheen on the feathers
droolin.gif

thanks.. 4-H mom.. i ckecked his feet.. not as yellow at the splash..
.. he.(splash). can help make some blue's.. if all goes well. I'd like some blue's.
there is 6 JG in there some where.. ; ) supposed to be pullets.. ?? One is attacking the chopstick

Last edited:
OMGoodness I am on my way to Indiana. Dropping off some chickens and picking up some chickens. Gettin 15 of Maries Jersey Giants. I admit it was hard finding someone who sells quality Jerseys. I guess there are not a lot of peeps out there with Jerseys that are not from a hatchery. Nothing against those....just not what I am looking for. But I found Marie's on the Internet and noticed a few others on this thread bought from her. Super excited ! Just wanted to share that with you if of y'all are looking fo some more jerseys.

Im am not sure he is a Giant one reason for posting the pic and looking for advice on him he was sold to me at a auction as a Black Jersey Giant rooster.. he was my first chicken i have owned my adult life..since buying them about a month ago i have been looking into the breed and looking at many pics of the breed and knew he wasnt a "ideal" BJG and wondered myself if he was pure or from bad breeding.. but anyways i have 15 perfect looking lil BJG babies now that are black legged as they come and pretty lil yellow feet pads..lol..Thanks Wynette

Glad you didn't take offense. I'm not keen on giving negative feedback, but if a person asks, I'm happy to give my opinion - and, I am not an expert by any means, either! I honestly learn each & every day!

OMGoodness I am on my way to Indiana. Dropping off some chickens and picking up some chickens. Gettin 15 of Maries Jersey Giants. I admit it was hard finding someone who sells quality Jerseys. I guess there are not a lot of peeps out there with Jerseys that are not from a hatchery. Nothing against those....just not what I am looking for. But I found Marie's on the Internet and noticed a few others on this thread bought from her. Super excited ! Just wanted to share that with you if of y'all are looking fo some more jerseys.

I'm glad you're so excited! There are lots of folks who breed them, you just need to look around a bit! Glad you were able to find some, BEST of luck with them, and please be careful driving! Post pics when you can!

Back
Top Bottom