Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I find it's really the literal age of an animal that determines how tough they are. Regardless of breed, a 8 week old bird is about as an 8 week old bird, while a 3 year old stew bird, be it a silkie bantam, a leghorn, or large bird, is a tough as a 3 year old bird.
Thank you for this information. I have a rather mean 3 yr. old leghorn I was going to put on the table, but it is too hard to do her in after 3 years. Now, knowing she would be a tough bird to eat, I will just let her live out her days and the others will have to stay out of her way.

Years ago -maybe 70!!! my mother would raise white jersey giants from chicks (in the spring) and sell them for meat in fall. These are called "fryers",. the most tender. Any age older will be for stewing. It depends on whether you want to eat them as a chicken dinner or use them in recipes with dumplings, vegs or whatever.

I had my coop made inside the barn and the man who did it had had chickens. He made the rope thing for the hatch and I can't see outside when I lower it. I have to go outside and put a bd over the hatch and be sure "everyone" is inside so I don't close someone out for the night. Of course I close up just a little before dark so they are mingling yet outside. Maybe after dark and not just at dusk, it would work.

So you can never really eat a full grown Giant Jersey without it being tough? I thought they grew in stature and frame for the first year and then beefed up with muscle & breast in their second year? Butchering the chicken that early, will it even be worth eating?

I have a "Sous-Vide" (water bath) and I can cook ANYTHING in it without it being tough.

In one of it's promos (for the company that sells them), they claimed you could cook lions in it, but I have never bought lion meat, which is currently available at my butcher. You don't get nice crispy skin, but the meat is falling off the bones tender - I tried it on a cock and it was wonderful. I used the kitchen blow torch to crisp the skin a bit.

I am looking for someone with blue jersey giant chicks or pullets. I'm on ok but I will be driving back through from Ga the first weekend of August and could make a detour to pick a few up. I'm not necessarily looking for show birds just love the blues and would like to add to my blacks.

I am looking for someone with blue jersey giant chicks or pullets. I'm on ok but I will be driving back through from Ga the first weekend of August and could make a detour to pick a few up. I'm not necessarily looking for show birds just love the blues and would like to add to my blacks.
Sorry IN Oklahoma

Back
Top Bottom