Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Check North West Georgia and the Atlanta area on Craigs list. I belive there is some one there who has Blue. If you cant find them let me know and I will look them up.
Headed to villa rica which is 50miles west of atl on 20 but I don't mind traveling around a bit. I haven't been able to find anyone in Oklahoma with blues or splashes.

I would love some opinions on a current dilemma.

My nicest cockerel at about 10 weeks developed a bad case of cross beak. More due to procrastination than anything else, he is still around. He has great conformation, and size. I was saddened about putting this guy down but I don't want to pass along that trait to the offspring.

I went out yesterday, and though that my current # 2 cockerel had taken a growth spurt, but that was not the case.The cross beak on my best looknig bird is now GONE. His beak lines up, and closes.

My delemma, is should I cull him anyway, or do I look to the poultry gods, say thank you, and keep him moving forward.

My nicest cockerel at about 10 weeks developed a bad case of cross beak. More due to procrastination than anything else, he is still around. He has great conformation, and size. I was saddened about putting this guy down but I don't want to pass along that trait to the offspring.

I went out yesterday, and though that my current # 2 cockerel had taken a growth spurt, but that was not the case.The cross beak on my best looknig bird is now GONE. His beak lines up, and closes. 

My delemma, is should I cull him anyway, or do I look to the poultry gods, say thank you, and keep him moving forward.

I would keep him for now. Just closely watch his future offspring for it. I'm having a similiar experience with a young pullet. She'd developed crossbeak and I found a neighbor that wanted her for a layer. When I went out to get her she was nowhere to be found. It's a large area where they can roam into a small pasture and I figured she was hiding. I've been looking for days now. There's many pullets and hens in this area, probably 20 are black JG's like her so I don't know what to think! She was a little thin but healthy otherwise so, until you posted this, I thought maybe she'd died back in the brush or perhaps an owl or ? got her. With how these guys grow and mature, I wonder if they grew out of this???

I have never, ever heard of crossbeak going away. I wonder if he maybe had injured his top or bottom beak - like maybe flew into something that sort of disjointed it temporarily, and that was the precise time you noticed the "crossbeak" but then it since healed? Are you 100% sure it is the same bird?

I guess, so long as you have him permanently marked in some way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him. Assuming that he's much nicer than the others you have to choose from. I would most definitely, however, put at least 25 or so chicks on the ground by him & watch them grow out until at least the 8 week mark to be sure he's not passing it on.

I would keep him for now. Just closely watch his future offspring for it. I'm having a similiar experience with a young pullet. She'd developed crossbeak and I found a neighbor that wanted her for a layer. When I went out to get her she was nowhere to be found. It's a large area where they can roam into a small pasture and I figured she was hiding. I've been looking for days now. There's many pullets and hens in this area, probably 20 are black JG's like her so I don't know what to think! She was a little thin but healthy otherwise so, until you posted this, I thought maybe she'd died back in the brush or perhaps an owl or ? got her. With how these guys grow and mature, I wonder if they grew out of this???
No, they don't typically "grow out of it" - it really confuses me about what may have happened to Framac's male.

Typically, they only get worse. I had a black Ameraucana pullet at one time that had moderate to severe crossbeak; I took her to an avian vet every 6 weeks for a "professional trim" - I believe that helped extend her life a bit, however, she spent most of her time at the feed dish trying to shovel in food. It's REALLY difficult for them to eat, and you need to provide a deep dish for them so they can sort of scoop the feed up.

With the pullet I had, she was alright for a good time, though never grew to full potential and as indicated, was constantly at the food bowl. She was always fairly thin. When she began to lay, she laid the most beautiful, Robin's egg blue colored eggs. But, she only laid about 5 and then died. I believe the additional stress of laying was just too much for her.

Having gone through this a few times, I would dispatch now if I had another.

I have never, ever heard of crossbeak going away. I wonder if he maybe had injured his top or bottom beak - like maybe flew into something that sort of disjointed it temporarily, and that was the precise time you noticed the "crossbeak" but then it since healed? Are you 100% sure it is the same bird?

I guess, so long as you have him permanently marked in some way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep him. Assuming that he's much nicer than the others you have to choose from. I would most definitely, however, put at least 25 or so chicks on the ground by him & watch them grow out until at least the 8 week mark to be sure he's not passing it on.
I will try to get pictures in the near future.

I know it is the same bird. There are 5 in the pen, and 3 are blue. He is black, and probably 20% or more larger than the other black cockerel. My plan is to go into winter with 1 black, and one blue cockerel (Only black cockerel going forward of all breeds) The blue will be used as a back up, and possibility to get some splashes with blue pullets.(I am thinking I will keep the black unless someone in the younger groups looks better)

His beak has a pronounced hook in the front, and he may have just grown into it. Maybe the top grew slower than the bottom. I have asked my wife to read up on beak trimming just in case. I'd much rather her do it.

Framac

Framac, for showing, we always file down with a Dremel the top beak where it hooks over. You must be VERY careful, though - it's easy to go too far, and then they bleed.

Folks - I've been asked by a director of the national club to put the word out that they're looking for nice quality (high resolution) pictures of Giants. They need not be "posed" - but any pretty pictures, or funny ones, and of course pics from shows are nice as well. Please either post here, or PM them to me. Many thanks!

I am in absolute LOVE with this breed. They're very hard to come by in Alberta, but luckily I found a local breeder who is drastically downsizing. To my knowledge, they are 1 of only 2 who take it seriously, in Alberta. I am just starting with 1 as we don't have the room for more right now, but will likely be getting another hen + 1 Roo who is an honest 13 pounds, in the near future. I pick the new girl up tomorrow morning - I will post photos!!

Well it's getting to be time for our this springs 1st hatch to go to camp Kenmore. The roosters were at each other all day yesterday as I worked on the truck, all the noise! Going to save a couple of hens to add to our layers. Layers just over two and the egg count is slowing down. I just hope The Giants can handle the Golden Comets, small birds with a mean attitude to new birds

Back
Top Bottom