Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Oh Thank you for the information. I wrote that incorrectly. I should have said the breeder that is known for the largest JG. I purchased mine from a feed store and someone told me that they would not be a true Jersey size, but smaller. I looked online and several breeders sell Jerseys. I would like to eventually get a #10 hen. I know they take a long time to get to the size. Thank you for helping me.

Question for all you Jersey enthusiasts.. I was always under the impression they produce L/XL eggs.. but mine's consistently producing Medium's that are a quite light brown.. is she missing something in her diet, or is this normal?

This is a good question because mine are also like this. Mostly medium, some large, never XL. Some have been so light that they look almost off-white rather than brown... Though this seems to be a recent thing, since I don't remember them being this light in color last year. I only have 2 JG girls and they are both 2 yrs old.

That must be normal because mine lay medium - large eggsand yes they can be light in color. My biggest eggs come from Red Rangers, they have layed some extra jumbo eggs.

I am currently building my coop and just thought that the chicken door will need to be bigger for JGs. Because I have never had them before, I'm not sure how big it should be. Any suggestions?

Hi can someone please tell me if these two birds look like Jersey Giants? I ordered and bought and paid a breeder in North Al. for them but none of them look like JG to me....

These are two of the three I have. You can see the front of one and the back of the other. But one barely has a comb and it is mostly black. But I don't think the body shape say's giant either. But I am wondering what they are.
Thanks!

Hi can someone please tell me if these two birds look like Jersey Giants? I ordered and bought and paid a breeder in North Al. for them but none of them look like JG to me....

These are two of the three I have. You can see the front of one and the back of the other. But one barely has a comb and it is mostly black. But I don't think the body shape say's giant either. But I am wondering what they are.
Thanks!
Have you checked the bottoms of their feet? BJG have black legs with yellow on the bottoms of their feet. Also remember, BJGs can take several months to fully mature and put on their meatiness!

Hi Mi Ranchito, I have checked the bottoms of their feed and they are yellow.
Thank you
thumbsup.gif
Excellent!

Well I'm sad to say I lost my last JG pullet. She wasn't in the barn Tuesday night when I closed up. The kids and I looked all over With flashlights with no luck. I was hoping she would be out when I turned everyone out Wensday morning to eat, but no luck. I did fond her remains in the woods that evening. Looks like a owl got her.

Back
Top Bottom