Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Also, my daughters have joined 4H this year. They would like to show our JG''s. Do you think we could show our current hatchery JG's or should we spend the money to get SOP JG's?

Also, my daughters have joined 4H this year. They would like to show our JG''s. Do you think we could show our current hatchery JG's or should we spend the money to get SOP JG's?

Some hatchery birds are as good as some "SQ" birds - so don't spend the money yet. Let the kids show the ones you have. Some shows have a lot of birds others very few of a breed, so the kids could end up with ribbons for hatchery stock, or get no ribbons for SQ stock! (Depending on how much competition for that breed there is).

I have four black jersey giant hens that are seven months. I have had them for a month. Sadly the fella I got them from "had a farm background" and treated them like meat birds. I was horrified by his use of a net to "get them". Awful really. This leads me to the problem. I let them free range in our 1/2 acre back yard and they have a large converted shed for a coop. They are sweet girls and put themselves to bed every night like good little chooks should. BUT they won't let you get near them. 4 feet away at all times. And who could blame them, I'm sure they are worried that there will be a net waiting for them if they get close.

I love chickens and I want them to love me, but really these girls have no interest in bonding. I pet them every night when I lock them in (and I have been pecked for doing it). Any suggestions? They won't come near us, not if we have treats, not if we're bringing feed nothing that for me is "normal" chicken behavior.

Also I am getting four polish standards that are 61/2 months and I was worried that they will see the behavior of the jersey's and mimic the choice to be four feet away. (they literally will run to the other side of the yard if you walk toward them).

Totalcolour, thank you so much I really appreciate your input. I'm also trying to find some splash or blues in my state, but having no luck. Can I show those colors, or would they be purely for our own enjoyment?

I have four black jersey giant hens that are seven months. I have had them for a month. Sadly the fella I got them from "had a farm background" and treated them like meat birds. I was horrified by his use of a net to "get them". Awful really. This leads me to the problem. I let them free range in our 1/2 acre back yard and they have a large converted shed for a coop. They are sweet girls and put themselves to bed every night like good little chooks should. BUT they won't let you get near them. 4 feet away at all times. And who could blame them, I'm sure they are worried that there will be a net waiting for them if they get close.

I love chickens and I want them to love me, but really these girls have no interest in bonding. I pet them every night when I lock them in (and I have been pecked for doing it). Any suggestions? They won't come near us, not if we have treats, not if we're bringing feed nothing that for me is "normal" chicken behavior.

Also I am getting four polish standards that are 61/2 months and I was worried that they will see the behavior of the jersey's and mimic the choice to be four feet away. (they literally will run to the other side of the yard if you walk toward them).
From my experience, you just have birds that are not used to being handled. My first batch of chicks for the year tend to be very calm, because of frequent handling by myself,son, and visitors. As the novelty wears off, they get handled less. The latter batches are more flighty.

What I would do, and it may cause some ruffled feathers initially, is to hold them for a few minutes each day before letting them out. That will make them fear you less. If you have the time, Sit in a chair in the coop for a while. They should eventually see you as a non threat. When I did this once with a batch of chicks, they would all run over to jump up into my lap when they seen me coming (Resulted in different problems).

The key is time. They will come around.

Framac

Totalcolour, thank you so much I really appreciate your input. I'm also trying to find some splash or blues in my state, but having no luck. Can I show those colors, or would they be purely for our own enjoyment?
APA Recognizes White, Black and Blue. You can still show splash.

What state are you from? Have you checked with the Giant club for member close to you?

Framac

Last edited:
Some hatchery birds are as good as some "SQ" birds - so don't spend the money yet. Let the kids show the ones you have. Some shows have a lot of birds others very few of a breed, so the kids could end up with ribbons for hatchery stock, or get no ribbons for SQ stock! (Depending on how much competition for that breed there is).
I respectfully disagree; having "been there, done that," you will not find an exhibition quality Giant from a hatchery. I've either seen or personally owned "Giants" from most major hatcheries, and they leave a whole lot to be desired. THAT SAID: I agree that it's not wise to spend money on EQ birds until you are sure your kids are super serious about them. 4-H does not judge in as detailed a way as the APA judges do. Nothing wrong with that, all have their place, and I believe 4-H is a fantastic way to introduce kids to poultry.
smile.png

Awe...don't feel "horrified" that someone snatched up birds with a net! That's actually a very safe way to catch them up. If you chase them around for 15 minutes, they could end up overheated or overly strained...although I don't personally use nets to catch mine, I don't mind a bit when others do. You can get them much more quickly this way and it doesn't typically result in any damage to the bird.

Framac had a good suggestion on gentling them; here is another. Take a chair into the run and bring treats. Things they really love are meal worms, grubs, scratch feed, barley, wheat, leftovers...sit down, and sprinkle the treats around your feet. Sit quietly, and don't try to pick them up when they come near. Just sit still & allow them to get closer & closer over time . Each time, throw the treats closer to you. When they are comfortable being in close proximity, go in & sit on the ground, doing the same thing. After several sessions, go in, sit on the ground, and offer treats from your hand. Just put your hand on the ground with the treats in your palm and allow them to eat from your hand. Soon, you can sprinkle them on your knee/leg, and they'll be running to you when you come out! YOu'll be the TREAT PERSON, and a welcome vision!

Thank you I will try the chair in the coop and holding them before letting them out. It is certainly going to ruffle feathers...even in the coop the run from you. You have to corner them to pick them up an dI hate to terrify them like that. But maybe I'll win out over time and they'll learn to tolerate me. These girls have stopped laying (two eggs when I first got them then nothing) there is signs of molting (feathers in the coop and grass) so I have added chick starter to the laying pellets and continue to offer oyster shell (all available all the time) they spend their days grazing the yard and pecking the windfall apples and pears (both are done for the season). I figure its good to let them molt and I'm not going to supplement light... if I do it will be later toward Dec/Jan. Thank you for the advice.

Quote: It was a large fishing net and it tangled the birds in them. They were in danger of breaking a wing... and his technique was to chase corner net and then drag the net toward himself... heaven forbid he walked those few steps. The whole netting thing had nothing to do with humane catching. I would see someone with a very large flock using this technique but when you have a backyard flock it just seems ridiculous to not bond with your birds. I've always had chickens I can walk up to and pick up at any time without issues and this is the first batch I've ever had that weren't handled. So its new to me and certainly not something I would take up, and I want the girls to get over it.

Thanks for the tips I will see about getting some meal worms to tempt them.

Quote: Well, while I agree that hatchery stock is not up to Quality exhibition stock, if you note in my response, I said "some" SQ birds. A lot of people sell what they call SQ (eggs, chicks or young birds from show parentage) and they really aren't good quality at all. I have seen some birds from show stock that are very lacking. Not all progeny from show stock will be show quality themselves. Just like two "Einstein" parents won't always produce Einstein kids.

The newcomer is better off going to shows and learning the standard before putting money into birds, or buying "EQ" or "SQ" stock when they have no way of knowing if that breeder is being really scrupulous or not.

Plus, I was addressing this for 4H - as you pointed out they don't judge the same as APA.

Back
Top Bottom