Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

I have four black jersey giant hens that are seven months. I have had them for a month. Sadly the fella I got them from "had a farm background" and treated them like meat birds. I was horrified by his use of a net to "get them". Awful really. This leads me to the problem. I let them free range in our 1/2 acre back yard and they have a large converted shed for a coop. They are sweet girls and put themselves to bed every night like good little chooks should. BUT they won't let you get near them. 4 feet away at all times. And who could blame them, I'm sure they are worried that there will be a net waiting for them if they get close.

I love chickens and I want them to love me, but really these girls have no interest in bonding. I pet them every night when I lock them in (and I have been pecked for doing it). Any suggestions? They won't come near us, not if we have treats, not if we're bringing feed nothing that for me is "normal" chicken behavior.

Also I am getting four polish standards that are 61/2 months and I was worried that they will see the behavior of the jersey's and mimic the choice to be four feet away. (they literally will run to the other side of the yard if you walk toward them).
I don't understand "the net to get them" reference. I let them out of the tractor for supervised romp time where they fly around and play and explore a while under my watchful eye and have to at some point get them back into the tractor. At that time the resistant birds start evading and avoiding my gentle coaxing and herding and a stick comes in handy because it is longer than my arm and blocks off their evade move further and quicker than I could just using my legs arms and sounds. I have once of twice thought of using a net but that was also a thought for catching grasshoppers for them more than getting them back in their tractor but there is a Langshan or two that eventually may need a net if they get any better at dodging my efforts to herd them into their tractor. Why would a net be a shameful thing to use on a chicken?

Looking for information on growing jersey giants to the biggest size possible.I am receiving 88 of them tomorrow.Already have 300 ISA brown layers and am planning to feed starter for the first 12 weeks then on to grower for the Jerseys.I would appreciate any info on feeding for maximum growth as I plan to keep all the hens and largest cockerels in a ratio of 15 to 1.

I bought a bunch of jersey's from a farmer. I free ranged, allowed them to eat when they wanted. Kept them on grower till they layed . At 6 months I mixed grower/layer so it was a combo. Lots of protein treats. Went back to the farmer since my 20 month olds were such beautiful creatures. Saw his which was coop raised.. Farmed and it was like his chickens were 2 months younger. I asked... Nope same birthdate. That is all I did. Nothing really! Lol

I was given this Australorp as an 8 week old and now that it's a year old I'm noticing it's size, as it towers over all other species and the bottoms of it's feet are a pale yellow. Is this also a Giant Jersey? I have GJ hens but never had a Rooster - what do you all think?

My JG is doing the ugly molt. I fear I may have caused this too. I was teaching them how to use a treadle feeder and she is so big that she just reached over the treadle and ate out of the hopper. So she never got used to the movement. She is really frightened of the movement of the lid opening.

I would watch her run over and eat when the other hens were eating so I knew she was eating. But maybe she wasn't getting enough to eat? I was hoping she would learn how to use the treadle feeder from the other hens.

Anyway, I switched back to a regular feeder but now she's got bald patches all over her and the volume of feathers in the run is AMAZING.

Anyone successfully train their JG to use a treadle feeder? Any suggestions?

I am interested in raising some WJGs for a large roasting fowl. I understand they are slow growing but what is the average age I could expect a cockerel to get to 9 - 10 lbs? Thanks.

Franca, I'm in Central California. I can't locate a JG breeder in my state. Well...I actually did locate one close to me...but he's on the Megan's law website...I hope he stops breathing soon

I'm a JG breeder in Oregon and am coming to a show in Stockton, CA in January. I'd be happy to bring some quality chicks for your childs 4H project. I will also be selling black, blue and splash pullets at the show. These are all birds hatched from breeder and show quality stock.

Feathers4fun...I would love love love to come see you at the show in January. Some Blue or Splash would be a wonderful addition to my flock. To be honest, since my current JG's are hatchery birds, I really want to see and appreciate some that meet the SOP. Thanks again. Can't wait. What dates. Will you be here?

7 month old cockerel that did well at the PNPA show and NJGC National last weekend in Vancouver WA

Is anyone on here going to the show in Columbus OH? We've decided to go, will be fun to go to a show this big. We're not bringing birds but would love to meet other JG folks!

Back
Top Bottom