Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

It's one we know well too!

Perhaps another phone call first though, to see if they will be nice and compensate you - not that it's real compensation, but at least see if they are going to be a problem in the future. 

I agree. I hate that I lost what I did, but if they had gotten to my 5 mo olds that were still in the young coop/run I would be even more upset. I would have been totally beside myself if they had gotten any of my peafowl or young turkeys!!! I'm most worried that they know that there are birds here and now have a taste of killing them. Will they be back tomorrow or next week or next month? Most people don't understand the money or emotion we have in our poultry and what these birds mean to us. I don't really want compensation that much but really don't want to have to worry about when it's going to happen again.

Hello,

I'm new to the thread and have a question. I have what looks like an Australorp (coloring and such) but is just getting bigger and bigger. She is twice that of my barred rock and I swear just keeps growing. I bought her second hand and was told she was an Australorp but her size makes me wonder. She is 5 mo old now. Are there very many jersey giants that mix with autralorps?

Thanks
Barb

JG's are supposed to have dark legs with yellow showing on the bottom (underfoot) of the foot. Eyes should be very dark.

Most people don't understand the money or emotion we have in our poultry and what these birds mean to us. I don't really want compensation that much but really don't want to have to worry about when it's going to happen again.
I know about the compensation - it doesn't help US, but it makes a point to THEM. If you don't ask for anything, they think the birds aren't worth anything, and they won't bother trying to keep their dogs home. It's only when you hit them where it hurts most (either their dogs or wallet) that they will be diligent in stopping their animals from roaming. I wish you the best of luck.

what do you think of my jersey giants??

Jerseys have Yellow legs and Australorps have Gray/Black legs. Note the two in the left of this shot are both Lorps they are large birds (these are all LFs). Red faces. Dark eyes.

JG will have lighter eyes and yellow legs just like the buff chicken on the right.

of course a JG roo will be happy to mate with pretty much any hen that is handy so mixes will happen. I've personally entertained the idea of adding a JG roo to mate with the Lorp sisters here simply to get even larger birds. Can't think I am the first to consider it.

Someone may have addressed this already, but Jersey Giants DO NOT HAVE YELLOW LEGS. The bottoms of their feet should be yellow and, in fact, if there is an absence of yellow (i.e. if the bottoms of feet are slate, pink, or white) they would be DQ'd, but the shanks should be slate.

Here is a close-up of the correct coloring for the bottom of the feet; this is a hen that was in full lay - often when they are in full lay, the yellow gets a bit more dusky, but you can definitely see they are yellow and not white or pink:

Here is a pic of a few cull pullets/hens - note the leg color is slate, not yellow:

Also, the eyes should be very dark - almost black.
smile.png

what do you think of my jersey giants??
I would like to see more pics - how old are they? If you can post pics from the front, rear, and from the top looking down at them, that would be great. Looks like you may have some nice birds here, but it's tough to tell from the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom