Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Hey everyone I have been doing a lot of research on this breed and I would like to have my own Jersey Giant flock could you guys let me know on average what the price for these beautiful birds are? I have been looking at some breeder pages from the Jersey Giants official breed page and it seems like a lot of money for me to spend right now that im in college. Im asking this because I wanna give myself an idea to see if I should still pursue this breed right now or should I just wait until I graduate and start making money.hope you all have a good one

Hey everyone I have been doing a lot of research on this breed and I would like to have my own Jersey Giant flock could you guys let me know on average what the price for these beautiful birds are? I have been looking at some breeder pages from the Jersey Giants official breed page and it seems like a lot of money for me to spend right now that im in college. Im asking this because I wanna give myself an idea to see if I should still pursue this breed right now or should I just wait until I graduate and start making money.hope you all have a good one

Greetings my friend. May I suggest that you start off with hatchery bred JGs so that you can get to know the breed first. They are generally in-expensive. If you are looking to raise JGs for their meat and eggs, the hatchery stock is good enough and will still provide you with the joys of raising this amazing breed. If you are more interested in showing your JGs for competition purposes, then looking for a breeder is the way to go. Nonetheless, start small, inexpensive, get to know their characteristics and when you are ready to venture into competition status, begin to invest in the more expensive breeds. Hope this helps some. Peace!

These are a couple of mine. The cockerel was 18 weeks in these pics. Blurry pics.

The first one - he's with one of my splash Ameraucanas. (For size comparison, he's going to be huge, she isn't small!)

He's in the gangly, growing stage - 18 weeks

One of the Splash hens - also have a blue.

Total, from what I can see, that splash hen looks quite nice! The cockerel...well, he looks awfully gamey...is he purebred? No offense intended if he is, just wondered. If that splash hen would like a vacation, feel free to ship her to me!
wink.png

Total, from what I can see, that splash hen looks quite nice! The cockerel...well, he looks awfully gamey...is he purebred? No offense intended if he is, just wondered. If that splash hen would like a vacation, feel free to ship her to me!
wink.png
He does look gamey, but the lady I got the eggs from got all hers from Maria ('s Jersey giants) so I assumed it was a stage he's going through. This is my first year with them. The hens are cousins of this cockerel - and thanks, the splash is very pretty, as are her sisters.

I'm just going to wait on the cockerel and see how he does. Won't be breeding till the spring in any event.

Hiya there! I'm really hoping to find a breeder around me that has jersey giants as I would like to start raising them for exhibition/breeding purposes. I am in GA. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!! :)

Glass, before you spend money on hatchery grade Giants (which frequently don't tend to be much like real Giants), I'd spend the $15 to join the breed club (NJGC). They'll send you a backlog of newsletters as well as a membership directory that turns out to be pages of Giant folk contacts, many of which are breeders. Also, at the end of January, there will be a huge show in Stockton, CA and I believe the NJGC will be hosting a Special Meet there as well as a breed club booth. You'll be able to see some Giants, talk to folks, ask questions, connect with breeders, and enjoy the day. It's hosted by the Pacific Poultry Breeders Association and while I don't believe they have the updated information online quite yet, it should be coming out any day. It's worth the wait and you'll be able to get a bit more research in and make some great contacts. Well worth it as it would be just as expensive to take care of, feed, and pen lesser birds that may not end up being what you had hoped.

Back
Top Bottom