Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Finally remembered to take a pic of my favorite blue JG Roo. What do y'all think? He is 7.5 mo old,

I believe what you have there is a beautiful splash rooster. If you look a few posts up silkiechicken has a great picture of a blue jg roo. Splash bred with black hens will give you all blue chicks.

I need to take another pic, he is very blue/grey. Just looks more white in that pic do to the angle and bright sunlight on his chest and side towards the camera/phone. I have four blue Roos all have medium blue on chest and sides then darker on neck.
My blue hens all have more consistent color throughout the body. Hope to get some nice splashes this spring when I start incubating. Going to sell most of the blue and blacks and keep splashes for myself.

I believe what you have there is a beautiful splash rooster.  If you look a few posts up silkiechicken has a great picture of a blue jg roo.  Splash bred with black hens will give you all blue chicks.

Well I purchased my Heritage Giants at about 3 1/2 months old. They are 8 months and 8 days old, got my first egg from them today.

clap.gif

CONGRATS!

My lovely Jersey giant
big_smile.png

Gee, that looks more like a cat to me.
wink.png

Some more pics taken tonight of my JGs.

One of my year and half olds coming back through the "pullet shut door" to see if I'm giving out any treats.

Well I purchased my Heritage Giants at about 3 1/2 months old. They are 8 months and 8 days old, got my first egg from them today.

clap.gif

New JG owner here (my hen is 3 months). I've heard the breed is slow to mature. Is eight months a typical wait time for the first egg to arrive?

New JG owner here (my hen is 3 months). I've heard the breed is slow to mature. Is eight months a typical wait time for the first egg to arrive?
that's within the "normal" realm. It depends on the time of year hatched, and the number of daylight hours. It's never a good idea to "rush" them - once they start laying, they slow WAY down in growth, so you want to allow them to mature naturally and not push them to lay too soon. Also, if they are pushed (by that I mean if you feed lay feed before you see that first egg), you also might be setting yourself up for issues with the hen later on, such as prolapse or internal laying. Not that it ALWAYS happens that way, but the chance is higher when they begin laying early.
smile.png
Congracts on your new Giant pullet - post some pics, we love them!

that's within the "normal" realm. It depends on the time of year hatched, and the number of daylight hours. It's never a good idea to "rush" them - once they start laying, they slow WAY down in growth, so you want to allow them to mature naturally and not push them to lay too soon. Also, if they are pushed (by that I mean if you feed lay feed before you see that first egg), you also might be setting yourself up for issues with the hen later on, such as prolapse or internal laying. Not that it ALWAYS happens that way, but the chance is higher when they begin laying early.
smile.png
Congracts on your new Giant pullet - post some pics, we love them!

Thanks for the help. I will gladly post some pics once it's warm enough for a photo shoot!

Back
Top Bottom