Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Just wanted to post a pic of our Black cockerel Thor:

At the end of the month I'm going to set our first clutch of JG eggs from Thor, his brother Goliath and their girls (two black hens and two white).

We're very eggcited. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I know about the compensation - it doesn't help US, but it makes a point to THEM. If you don't ask for anything, they think the birds aren't worth anything, and they won't bother trying to keep their dogs home. It's only when you hit them where it hurts most (either their dogs or wallet) that they will be diligent in stopping their animals from roaming. I wish you the best of luck.
If they are around long enough to get comfortable with your layout and livestock then you may have provided too much in the way of cover structures and things that block your line of sight. Be sure to try to keep the perimeter of your pen areas clear of things these predators might use for cover to creep close and monitor your livestock with confidence. I have a solid 100 foot perimeter around my 100 x 100 foot pen area. The nearest wooded area is about 150 feet away and sure as clockwork I hear coyotes in the woods closest to the pens - when they get too happy with yipping I always make a point to go out and approximate their spot in the woods and pop off a 22 LR round in their general area - quiet the rest of the night every time (so worth the ten cents) they often wont come back for many days or weeks afterward. It is about body language and animals key off your actions mostly make sure they don't feel confident and should feel very worried when they approach your livestock.

But yeah Wow uncontrolled dogs are no different than wolves or coyotes. In fact they lack the typical "fear of humans" which makes them far MORE dangerous. Any strange roaming dog on my land without my invitation is going to be almost immediately done and done, visit concluded!

I have one 7 month old Jersey Giant that MM Hatchery sent me...I was supposed to get 2 Black Star's...maybe they thought I wouldn't notice? :) I think she is pretty with her beetle green, although no eggs yet but I know they are slow developers.

One photo shows her at "alert" standing really tall, the other is her normal posture.

Last edited:
A question for all you breeders, Hatchers.

What are you protocols for selecting breeders? I know most people will say the SOP. But for your individual selection criteria, what do you use.

Examples would be, only 2+ year old hens, only pullets over 10 pounds etc.

If you pair, what are you reasonings.

I do have a reason for asking.

Thanks,

Framac

A question for all you breeders, Hatchers.

What are you protocols for selecting breeders? I know most people will say the SOP. But for your individual selection criteria, what do you use.

Examples would be, only 2+ year old hens, only pullets over 10 pounds etc.

If you pair, what are you reasonings.

I do have a reason for asking.

Thanks,

Framac

I'm very interested in this as well. I have 6 JG's: 2 Black cockerels, 2 black pullets and 2 white pullets. All are 8 months old. I have been asked by several BYCers to hatch a few, so I'm going to set my first JG clutch in April. Also, prior to that, in two weeks my daughter is going to enter all if our JG's in a youth poultry show. Then maybe I can get an idea of the quality of our JG's.

Although I'm excited at the thought if hatching, I also want to only perpetuate quality, healthy JG's. So, any tips would be helpful.

I know that Bobbi porto in lutz florida is a breeder of them. I have one of her roos, so I cannot get any hens from her....so am wondering the same thing...where do i get more hens from.

I've only had my giants for a few weeks, and love them.
I got 3 black giant roosters and 10 black giant hens from welp hatchery! Not sure if this helps or not.

Back
Top Bottom