Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

A question for all you breeders, Hatchers.

What are you protocols for selecting breeders? I know most people will say the SOP. But for your individual selection criteria, what do you use.

Examples would be, only 2+ year old hens, only pullets over 10 pounds etc.

If you pair, what are you reasonings.

I do have a reason for asking.

Thanks,

Framac
So no one is willing to share their methods?

Framac

So no one is willing to share their methods?

Framac
The first thing I want to say is that I am not an expert and I have only hatched one brood of chicks with the help of a broody hen, so like I said FAR from expert but I do have some thoughts...maybe not quite what you asked for.

I have only bred EEr mixes for olive eggs, but for what it's worth, I have read an article that while medium sized eggs have a better hatch rate, the larger eggs produce larger chicks. I don't recall if they studied the birds from both sized eggs into adulthood, though. My theory is, that this is the reason why "hatchery birds" don't develop into the huge birds these were meant to be...they have been downsized through continually hatching medium sized eggs.

If I were to want to increase the size of birds then one way would be to pick the larger sized eggs for hatching.

28 Nw Giant Chicks out of 34 eggs. 2 chicks died, stomach not completely closed over on hatch. I think there is 8-10 blue, and the rest black!!!!!

Wait a week to set more???????

I have a 3 1/2 year old Jersey Giant. She's a very happy and healthy bird. She did molt early last fall and came back into lay in mid-December and laid all winter long. She typically lays two days in a row and then skips a day. Sometimes she'll skip two. But last week she skipped 5 days in a row. I was really starting to freak.

She acted totally normal that whole time, eating, drinking and happily scratching around the garden. Today, she laid.

Would this concern anyone? I'm really freaked out by this. But like I said above, she seemed totally happy and normal. Maybe she's just starting to show her age and needed a mini break from laying?

Just curious if there's anything I should be doing.

I have a 3 1/2 year old Jersey Giant. She's a very happy and healthy bird. She did molt early last fall and came back into lay in mid-December and laid all winter long. She typically lays two days in a row and then skips a day. Sometimes she'll skip two. But last week she skipped 5 days in a row. I was really starting to freak.

She acted totally normal that whole time, eating, drinking and happily scratching around the garden. Today, she laid.

Would this concern anyone? I'm really freaked out by this. But like I said above, she seemed totally happy and normal. Maybe she's just starting to show her age and needed a mini break from laying?

Just curious if there's anything I should be doing.
It's her age. Larger birds sometimes "age" more quickly than smaller ones. Not much you can do about it. If you have a cock bird, I'd get some fertile eggs and hatch them while you still can.

Back
Top Bottom