Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Same here I just buy from different hatcheries to get a mix of genes and then cull to move toward the ideal chicken for various attributes.

I'm not much interested in the SOP for 'show' since I don't plan to show birds. Like I'm actually not keen toward huge birds so size is not an attribute I cull for. Personality, tameness, overall health, athletic prowess and good posture and pretty feathers are all things I work toward.

I like broody chickens because they not only tend to protect the eggs but they also tend to adopt and protect the younger chicks if you watch them. I also like "alpha" pecking order birds and I prefer birds that are tame toward humans (hunker down when approached) but aggressive toward predators do the ruffled neck feathers thing

I don't mean to sound snobby here as I am also new to chickens but not new to breeding. One of the great attributes to giants is their size and good attitude from the one I have and from all that I have read about them. If you don't like the size then why choose this breed? Whether someone shows or not, the decline of any breed is NOT breeding to the standard. I'm sure if you asked any chicken breeder, they would probably tell you that only a very small percentage actually show well but they continue to strive to the SOP as ANY breeder should. Anyone who breeds a heritage bird should always try and breed to the SOP. It's what keeps the birds we all like so well, true to form and character.

I will add that not all breeders who show are sticking to the SOP either when they breed for the fluff I refer to. If the breed of chicken used to be a good layer but not now because they need to look pretty, then that breeder failed the SOP as well. Just because someone shows, doesn't make them better. Only the one who breeds to the standard of what the that heritage breed was originally bred to be, is truly the right breeder.

Input please.
I'm getting ready to Caponize some of my roosters. I have 6 at five months and will reserve 2 intact.

I know to look for yellow feet bottoms - strait flat long back but at this age.. I'm not sure what else to look for.

? on toe nail color for SOP? one has black toe nails.. the other are yellow. I need to pick that one up to check bottom of foot - i was hoping to get some input on juveniles before i try and corral them.

Can some one speak on that?

Also.. I have one that seems to have a ? long neck or maybe its the appearance of the feathers that makes it look that way. Is this good? or not? At 5 months He has the long strait back good size feet.. yello toes / feet < sorry no way to up load photo's at this time. >

Thanks for your help..
Debra

Edit..
Thanks Wynett.. i just found this post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...or-pictures-and-discussion/4910#post_13071099

that answered alot for me.. now neck and toes

Last edited:
I just found my JG's nest full of black, fluffy feathers. Maybe she's going broody?

She did once before but I didn't let her raise babies. But I totally would if she is indeed broody this time. She'd make an awesome mama.

I just found my JG's nest full of black, fluffy feathers. Maybe she's going broody?

She did once before but I didn't let her raise babies. But I totally would if she is indeed broody this time. She'd make an awesome mama.

Hey spice.. really excited for you.. my Girl looks like this.. and growl's . i think she may go broody... if i leave her eggs alone from now on.
Last year her hatch mate started doing this.. and then set on 22 eggs.
good luck.. bbsnooks

oh.. and i finally caught the Roo with black toe nails.. his feet werenot yellow.. kinda black ish..
also one of my hen's has black nails and feet.. so not good sop.. but still great eggs. ; )

Well, she's still not broody. She's acting a little different. So I'm still holding out hope that she's just starting to go broody, I would LOVE for her to be a mama. She'd be awesome. And no one would mess w/ her babies.

Well, she's still not broody. She's acting a little different. So I'm still holding out hope that she's just starting to go broody, I would LOVE for her to be a mama. She'd be awesome. And no one would mess w/ her babies.
I had a blue Giant hen that was the BEST broody! I'm hoping to have some broodies for me this year. I would so much rather hatch with a broody hen; I personally feel like the offspring is healthier when raised by a hen.

bbsnooks - check that hen pictured above for split wing; I'm not sure, but if she's got it, you would not want to use her for breeding. Funny pics...she was certainly trying to make a statement there!
smile.png

On a happy personal note - I FINALLY got my first Giant egg for the season! Holy cow, I didn't think they'd EVER start to lay this year! The winter here in Michigan has been just horrible this year, so I'm at all surprised (and I don't use lights on my breeders), but just as soon as they all get going & regulated, I'll be hatching! YES!

I had a blue Giant hen that was the BEST broody! I'm hoping to have some broodies for me this year. I would so much rather hatch with a broody hen; I personally feel like the offspring is healthier when raised by a hen.

bbsnooks - check that hen pictured above for split wing; I'm not sure, but if she's got it, you would not want to use her for breeding. Funny pics...she was certainly trying to make a statement there!
smile.png

On a happy personal note - I FINALLY got my first Giant egg for the season! Holy cow, I didn't think they'd EVER start to lay this year! The winter here in Michigan has been just horrible this year, so I'm at all surprised (and I don't use lights on my breeders), but just as soon as they all get going & regulated, I'll be hatching! YES!
Wynette.. thanks so much for posting..
I do not know what split wing is.. is there a link some where i could learn more on SOP for these.?
Is split wing bad for all birds or just JG's?
I've been looking at NJG Club and see info on feet color nice to know .. that when laying the hen's feet may loose its color .
She is just a hatchery bird.. and not even a year old.. Thats how i wanted to start and make any Housing / Husbandry mistakes on less expensive stock.

I've got some eggs coming end of month. .not long now.. from some one on this list.. forgot the name.. oh.. Farmac.
but I'm hoping this hen or one of the others will go broody and let me switch the eggs for chicks .. < it worked once before for me.. > .
I've had Freezing night time temps.. and wanted to leave eggs in for them.. but when they lay on top a frozen egg the new one brakes..
I tried golf balls.. and fake eggs.. but they know the difference and kick them out.

I just saw my first jersey giant in person this weekend. They are really a impressive breed. I am located in central oklahoma. Does anyone close have hatching eggs at the moment?

Back
Top Bottom