Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

What mixes have people tried with good results?  Anyone ever tried mixing/crossing a JG with a buff Orpington?  Langshan?  Australorp?  Redstar?

I used to have 4 buff Orpington hens that ran with my JGs. When I hatched out their chicks they were a chocolate color mostly. A friend still has 6 of them that are a year old now. They made brown to reddish hens, but are noisy like the buffs.

Hello,

I own one chicken of undetermined breed and a Rhode Island Red.

I've considered ordering a jersey giant hen from mypetchicken.com

How do you think this would work with my other 2?

Yes she did! they were beautiful and I couldn't get new birds then.
sad.png
I also didn't get to meet her.
sad.png
can try again someday I hope!
smile.png

Geesh, I dunno why I didn't remember this - yep, she was there, I'd seen she posted she was showing & bringing birds to sell. She's got VERY NICE blues directly from Sher Jennings. (And, she's a super sweet lady, to boot!
thumbsup.gif
)

Now I can officially be part of this thread! One BBS JG hatched and another pipped
big_smile.png
I will post pics and updates soon.
YAY! Congrats!

Another pic of BBS chicks, have 23 that hatched yesterday.
All sorts of fuzzy butts in my hatching room: 23 JG, 45 jumbo coturnix quail 4 days old and 2 just hatched royal palm poults- waiting on number three!
WOOT! Fantastic!

I am interested to know how many breeders there are out there. It is hard for me to locate many. If you know of any, please post them. Do any of you breed toward APA Standard of Perfection? I am interested in that, but am still learning. I know they should have a long back, and yellow on the bottoms of their feet. I just got the APA SOP book, and am reviewing it.

Here is a picture of Giants that I hatched on Halloween. Of course, they are still just babies ...

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing015.jpg

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing007.jpg

12-24-09Halloweenchicksgrowing064.jpg
i think i'm only just starting to realize how big these guys can be. how big are they as babies? how big are the hens?

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure. Not that we wouldn't love her if she wasn't a JG, but we named her Jersey, so just wanted to make sure that her name made sense. Thanks for answering my question! We're really excited to see how big she gets!

Anyone who is interested in learning more about the Jersey Giant breed as well as the Standard of Perfection is welcome to join the "Jersey Giant SOP" facebook group site (SOP stands for Standard of Perfection). It is an excellent educational resource on Jersey Giants. Once you join, please make sure to read the "Guidelines" pinned at the top before doing any posting. Also, there are lots of great documents about all things Jersey Giants if you click on the "Files" link on the banner at the top. Here is a link that should take you there: ~~https://www.facebook.com/groups/201102680074307/

Back
Top Bottom