Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

i[/I. I just started with breed 1reason was its size and also the freed is disappearing. I'm also going to raise some Swedish flower chickens another breed that there is little of. Hope I get this right the first time the Swedish chucking is 6.00 a peace. But I can't wait let y'all know how it go's. Does any one know of a duck or goose breed that need help in numbers. Let me I know
Greetings from Texas! American Buff Geese could use help in strengthening their numbers. I am going to try and raise a small flock. They are hard to come by. Good luck.

I have 4 really nice blue cockerels in my 7 week olds that I hatched out.

Here are my jerseys at a year old, tried getting my cockerel next to the 8" block for reference he is actually standing a few feet behind it. He is a big chicken haha.

Samantha, I've never had a problem with a Jersey roo. And the roos and hens I have are docile. They like to hang out with me, and when they were younger and lighter, they would jump in my lap.

considering ordering some giants for my flock.

how is their temperment? do they get along with others? do they like people?

Already ordered mine will be here in a week. From what I read (did a lot of reading) the giants are generally mild mannered toward people and other chickens (if the other chickens are likewise also well mannered). The one exception I read about often is in regard to man-handling their favorite hens (ones they are actively breeding and protecting) in which case they are toward the more aggressive end of protective of their girls. This is probably true of most breeds if you have a well developed breeding set the roos will be more aggressive in protecting their mates. With a full size Giant however this can be a little scary as they grow as large as a small dog so it's like having a tiny dinosaur come after you.

I've not had any issues so far but usually am firm and keep a light stick handy (not for whacking but for interposing) which is a habit I picked up from goat herding. Seems like all (most) animals respect humans with a stick in their hand much more than a barehanded human for some reason. Seems to be coded into their genetics.

Back
Top Bottom