Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Here's mine she's about 3.5-4 months 3 in the pic but she is now taller then the roo that was hatched the same time and is nearly the same hieght of my full grown rir hens I was told she's just a mix but I wonder if jersey giant was part of that mix

Are they heat tolerant and has anyone bought some from California hatchery?

I'm in the Bay Area and my girl does just fine up to 90. Then she shows open mouth breathing and holing her wings open. But she handles the heat better than my Buff Orpingtons. I do put out ice water and they've got a fan when it gets as hot as it is this week. And that helps.

Egg production is definitely down. But who can blame her.

I know she came from a CA hatchery but I have no idea which one. Bought her from Half Moon Bay Feed 5 years ago.

Are they heat tolerant and has anyone bought some from California hatchery?
I have some for the last 2 years. I'm in SW FL and the heat humidity index hit over 107 this year. My JG are black and some blue juvies. I provide lots of shade and fresh water all the time. When it is this hot all the chickens have an open beak and wings away from body. The JG don't show heat stress more than the others. I have not lost a single hen to heat.
I did not buy from CA.

I can't say enough good things about my Jersey Giant rooster, Goliath. He's laid back, gentle and will eat out of my hand. He takes good care of his girls and even gets along (mostly) with our other rooster, a phoenix named Duke.

I have just hatched 2 black JGs only 2 out of 6 hatched unfortunately but it was my first time with a cheap incubator.
Now I have the buzz, I have just upgraded my incubator and had an other 6 fertalized eggs of JG Splash.
Can't wait for day 21
1f413.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

I have just hatched 2 black JGs only 2 out of 6 hatched unfortunately but it was my first time with a cheap incubator.
Now I have the buzz, I have just upgraded my incubator and had an other 6 fertalized eggs of JG Splash.
Can't wait for day 21
1f413.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

Black JG babies are the CUTEST!!! They have these adorable little white butts. Love them!

Love this thread. I don't have BJG yet, but I have already decided I want them. I don't know how many breeds I have looked at but for some reason these gentle giants have sealed themselves in my heart. I plan on 25 hens for meat and eggs, and at least one roo (I don't want fighting roos), or would it be okay with 2 since they seem to be more mellow than other breeds? He will have freedom, but my girls will be in a pen. I will place him with a few hens to be picky with my breeding. I will be getting so many because I have a huge extended family, and we all love eggs and fried chicken. I know these are slow growing breed and I am okay with that. If I understand correctly it takes about 2 years for them to be fully grown, but approximately how many months until hens normally start laying eggs? Are these hens good brooders and mamas or should I get another breed ( I was told a silkie) for a brooder?

Back
Top Bottom