Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
I thought some of you may be interested in this. I posted them in earlier posts, but thought I would repost them.

I found (on page 39 of the colored SOP book) the points system for the SOP. "The General Scale of Points." There are 2 sets of points. One is for white and one is for other than white. The ones with * are points for, "other than white." The only difference in these, from the white, is that the shape and color are different points, but the total in that category is the same. The other points (without the *) are the same, white or not. ..... OK, here are the 100 points broken down:

SYMMETRY: 4 (shape)
WEIGHT OR SIZE: 4 (shape)
CONDITION AND VIGOR: 10 (shape)
COMB: 5 (shape)
BEAK: 3 (2 for shape, 1 for color)
SKULL & FACE: 4 (3 for shape, 1 for color)
EYES: 4 (2 for shape, 2 for color)
WATTLES: 2 (shape)
EARLOBES: 4 (2 for shape, 2 for color)
*NECK: 6 (1 for shape, 5 for color)
*BACK: 12 (6 for shape, 6 for color)
*TAIL: 8 (4 for shape, 4 for color)
*WINGS: 8 (3 for shape, 5 for color)
*BREAST: 10 (5 for shape, 5 for color)
*BODY & FLUFF: 8 (5 for shape, 3 for color)
LEGS & TOES: 8 (5 for shape, 3 for color)

So, it looks to me like that back is really important! 12 points there!

Note* under SHAPE: BACK: Rather long, broad, nearly horizontal, with a short sweep to tail. For the hen: Rather long, broad it's entire length, carried nearly horizontal, ending in a short sweep to tail.

COLOR:

COMB, FACE, WATTLES & EAR LOBES: Bright red.
BEAK: Black, shading to yellow toward the tip.
EYES: Dark brown.
SHANKS & TOES: Nearly black with a tendency towards willow; black preferred. Underpart of feet, yellow.
PLUMAGE: (for blacks) lustrous greenish black; undercolor dull black.

SHAPE

MALE:

COMB: Single, rather large, straigt and uprigt, having six well defined and evenly serrated points, the blade following the contour of the neck.
BEAK: Moderately short, stout, well-curved.
FACE: Surface smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.
EYES: Large, round and full.
WATTLES: Medium size, well rounded at lower ends fine in texture, free from fold or wrinkles.
EAR LOBES: Moderately large, extending down one-half the length of the wattles, smooth.
HEAD: Rather large, broad.
NECK: Moderately long, full, well-arched.
BACK: Rather long, broad, nearly horizontal, with a short sweep to tail.
TAIL: Rather large, full, well-spread, carried at an angle of forty-five degrees (45*) above horizontal. Main tail -- broad and overlapping. Sickles -- of just sufficient length to cover main tail feathers. Coverts -- moderately abundant and medium in length.
WINGS: Medium size, well-folded, carried at same angle as the back. Primaries and Secondaries -- broad and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.
BREAST: Broad, deep, full, carried well forward.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body -- long, wide, deep, compact smooth at sides. Keel -- long. Fluff -- moderately full, smooth.
LEGS AND TOES: Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from front. Lower thighs -- large, medium length, well-feathered. Shanks -- stout in bone, moderately long. Toes -- four on each foot, medium length.

STANDARD WEIGHTS:
Cock ....... 13 lbs
Hen ........ 10 lbs
Cockeral ... 11 lbs
Pullet ....... 8 lbs

*Note here.... Under, "GENERAL DISQUALIFICATIONS"
WEIGHTS:
Weight is a breed characteristic. Any bird that deviates more than 20% either up or down from the weight listed for its breed, sex and age should be disqualified. This rule applies to all large fowl, bantams, ducks, geese and turkeys.

**There is no point loss for one pound, but there is 2 points lost for each pound after that, until DQ weight is reached.

Last edited:
Quote:
Is this a joke, April 27 until now, May 15, is only 2 weeks and about 4 days. Those can't be the same chickens. Chickens aren't fully feathered until at least 5 weeks. The lower picture doesn't have any down. and looks at least 6-8 weeks old. Are you sure you downloaded the correct photo? The chick looks to be a black, but the adolescent looks to be a blue or even a splash possibly; it is hard to tell with monitor variations. Have I missed something?
hmm.png

suzette here is a pic of some of my dh's black australope even they have a longer back than yours but thats what yours reminded me of At the time of this pic they were 8 months old
IMG_1322.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the pics, Sugar Sand Farm. I think your right about him being Australorp. And other than him being *very* fertile, and being great with us and his ladies, I think I'm gonna let him go in favor of a new roo who I know is Jersey. I wouldnt mind to keep him if I was doing Australorps (even though he has alot of visual faults) but I'm not, so he's gonna go.

Kathyinmo- Thanks for posting the SOP point scale. Can you post more of the faults for the breed? I would like to know what is good and what is not so I know which things to weed out of my stock. (like Jersey Giant impersonating Australorps, LOL)

Thanks!

Quote:
Is this a joke, April 27 until now, May 15, is only 2 weeks and about 4 days. Those can't be the same chickens. Chickens aren't fully feathered until at least 5 weeks. The lower picture doesn't have any down. and looks at least 6-8 weeks old. Are you sure you downloaded the correct photo? The chick looks to be a black, but the adolescent looks to be a blue or even a splash possibly; it is hard to tell with monitor variations. Have I missed something?
hmm.png

After I posted my comment, I got to thinking more that maybe your comment, "We have 2 more, one a hen and one a rooster we bought a few weeks ago at an age of about 2 weeks" applied to the second photo and I did not follow your train of thought, because I see a second chicken in the background. Anyway, I apologize if I made light of your chick, I certainly did not mean too.

h

Well let me know what you all think - I got these guys about 3 months ago and they were 3 months old t
hen - was supposed to be 1 roo and 3 hens....think I got 2/2...I think my roo is gorgeous...h
ttp://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43025_dsci0271.jpg

Back
Top Bottom