Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Right how I have 3 broody giants 2 of whom are sharing the same nest box. Its too early to say how it will go but I will let ya know. broody #1 has been sitting for over a week now the those just started yesterday.
Kathy he cant get under her anymore now he just kind of lays over the side of her and hides his head under her chin He is one very adventurous chick. He gets out of their pen and runs around the pasture with the cows and horses. I think he likes to take chances as he teases the dogs as well.

I am getting a Splash Jersey Giant chick this Friday! Can't wait to get her!!!
big_smile.png

Hi there... Just wanted to say that I received 31 JG eggs (plus 10 olive eggers) from KathyInMo... Right now I have 31 total eggs in the bator (3 broke during shipping and after candling around day 12, it was clear that 7 were not fertile). So to make a long story short, I have 8 olive eggers and 23 JG eggs due to hatch this coming Friday.

I can see lots of movement in most of the JG eggs... Can't really see into most of the olive eggers because the shell is too dark.

I will keep you posted on the hatching... Probably will do a live webcam starting Friday morning.

Here is the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/g-s-chicken-cam

I am pretty darn excited!!! I love my JGs!! Can't wait for more!!

Quote:
We just candled at 7 days and I think we had handling issues with the Post Office too, and candling seems to reenforce our initial suspicions. We have 13 eggs from Bobbi P. had 14 but one was broken when we opened the package . . .not a sign of good handling, because they were VERY well packaged by Bobbi. About 5 of them are clearly developing, a few were "iffy" and few were clear as a grocery store egg. No strong eggy odor though, at least not yet.

I have 34 of the original 40 mailed eggs that look as though they are continuing to develop. My concern is the air sac is pulled away from the shell and that there will be adequate room for each chick to develop. I have kept the humidity a little high to give them a softer lining for improved elasticity, but that has to be balanced with respirations. It looks as though the whole box of eggs were slung across the room and used as a ball for someone's entertainment. Each egg was wrapped in a disposable baby diaper and boxed in newspaper. The box was not damaged on the outside. The force it took to rip every single egg's air sac away from the egg shell and almost double its size had to be significant. All I can do is pray God's grace is upon each developing egg to help it through to maturity and hatching and pray God bless the person who had so little respect for the "Live Hatching Eggs" postings on the box and for me. I am sorry for that person's life and loved ones if the same disrespect for life is shown to family members.

Quote:
Two JG's in the same box will ultimately end in a bad situation. An egg will get broken and ruin the batch. The oils from the yolk will sufficate the remaining eggs. I have had this happen and not one of the eggs hatched even after I took them out, cleaned them off and put them in the incubator.

I have been watching them they have room They are actually in a large dog crate they each have their own area steaked out and each has their own eggs. the crate holds 2 pygmy goats so it shuld be large enough for them

Quote:
I sure hope you get more than 5 out of them. Good luck!
fl.gif

Quote:
Three broody Giants???? WOW! Ya gotta love broodies. Are they hatching Giants or other eggs for ya? I am loving watching these 3 mamas with their chicks here.

Quote:
Well, I know what I will be doing Friday then .... watching your webcam! Now, how am I gonna do that all day, with company here? Hhmmmmm, guess they will have to watch, too!
gig.gif
I am excited for you, too. I hope they all hatch out well and you get a variety of colors!

Quote:
34 is a good number of chicks. Best wishes on a great hatch with those remaining!
fl.gif
I am grateful that the eggs I have received through the PO have mostly been well cared for. I understand the PO is very busy, and believe that most of the employees are good caring and kind hearted. Just like any job, there are always a few who are not.

Quote:
34 is a good number of chicks. Best wishes on a great hatch with those remaining!
fl.gif
I am grateful that the eggs I have received through the PO have mostly been well cared for. I understand the PO is very busy, and believe that most of the employees are good caring and kind hearted. Just like any job, there are always a few who are not.

God has been trying to teach me that I do not know the whole truth about absolutley anything, in fact I know it about absolutely nothing, except I can trust him, so I should not judge, and I know this lesson is a valid one. I still want to punch the post person smack in the nose for having so little respect for life - even if it is just an egg at the time.

Last edited:
Quote:
Awwww, come on now .... must not focus on the negative. Think positive in that you may have 34 beautiful chicks pretty soon! YAY!!!!

You are absolutely right; I potentially have 34 eggs that may hatch , and I truly believe EVERYTHING is perfectly designed for a purpose according to God's overall plan - usually to teach me a lesson or allow someone else to learn a lesson through my blunders. At the same time I take my stewarship seriously. These eggs and the money used to purchase them place them under my stewarship. In essence, they are sort of like my children and I am very protective of them. If some one does something that is thoughtless, careless, or plain stupid that could endanger my son or gradchildren, I would feel the same anger. The eggs have been damaged; they have been placed in danger and that angers me. I will get over it and I choose to forgive the person, but I would still speak the truth to that person(s)' face as well in as much love as I could muster, "I do not appreciate their poor stewardship or their thoughtlessness". I am not talking about a simple jarring that exerted the kind of force it took to rip everyone of the air sacs.

I experimented and slung an egg that I was going to eat, not incubate. Slinging it as hard as I could twice only ripped the air sac 1/10th the size of the air sac. That means that someone had to repeatedly sling it as hard as they could to get the eggs' air sacs to double in size. That is very poor stewardship of the job they have been assigned under anyone's standards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom