Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
My apologies to any one offended by my remarks and values related to poor postal service, my frustration in recieving damaged eggs, and wasting money.

I apologize for breaking the rules. Sorry about that. Anyway, we had 'an incident' today. One of our dogs grabbed ahold of the BGG cockerel. I'd let the giants out of the pen to run around behind the mower to hunt the critters I stirred up with the mower. Wife got home and let the dogs out. Before I could do anything about it, one grabbed the poor fella. Luckily Beebee made Bear drop the poor thing. Beebee is like a "mother hen" to the birds. So far, he seems none the worse for wear, but I'm hoping there aren't any internal injuries. It was my fault, really, since I've never let them out while I was mowing before. They really did seem to enjoy it, once they realized the mower wasn't after them.

The cockerel had one tiny puncture wound, barely bled, it's the internal that I'm worried about. Luckily, it is eating and drinking, and appears to be 'normal' generally, though we have him isolated. I pulled the feed out once he started eating, mainly because he hasn't pooped yet, and it was beginning to get dark anyway. Hopefully, there will be some poop tomorrow morning, I'll check it for blood. Anything else I should look for? Added terramyacyn to his water and some electrolytes.

Maybe this will help.
hu.gif
Personally, I would get Penicillin injection.

excerpt from this thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213146

Quote:

Thanks Kathy,
I guess I'll dump the Terramycin, since we were cleaning it within like 30 seconds of the incident. We did dump a little peroxide on the little wound and put some Neosporin on it. Washing the bird did get me to realize something unrelated to injuries though: I have no idea how to prep a chicken for show. While I've raised hundreds of chickens for eggs/meat, never really had to bathe one before other than for an occasional injury, let alone spruce it up for show purposes. I know some of the cleaning tricks for horses, I've shown them, heheh. But no idea what people do to clean up a bird and get it's feathers all nice. Anything specific to Blue Birds? And of course they have no "Chicken shampoo" at Walmart . . or even Tractor Supply.

And again, I appreciate the link to the med advice! I probably should have searched for that myself, but I've had a hard time with the search engine.

Thanks,
Ron

Quote:
Wow, that was perfect! It doesn't seem all that different than prepping a horse for show, oddly enough, heheh. Right down to using a little laundry bluing for the white. I was a little bummed to find out no modification of the cages for the show though. I was wanting to build a fancy one out of solid black walnut with some custom brass wirework . . . . that would have been a waste of about 150 bucks in materials. You saved me some money too, as it turns out, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom