Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Quote:
If it's for meat birds, I wouldn't think it would make a difference as they're not around long enough to get all that nasty...?

I'm not trying to propagate the meaness. I've only seen two other dark Cornish besidesmy own and they were both very mean. This rooster of mine is only 10 months old and he has little spurs...however he ran up on me fm behind and swiped at my calf. The weight on him alone running into the back of my leg bruised me from shin To ankle. Left a nice gash.
Anyway...I just want a good meat bird...

Klwright, I hear you. The Cornish undoubtedly grow like a weed but there is a down side. Like you I'm trying to find the alternative.
My cockerels are 8 weeks old and they run up and pinch my instep. They pinch and twist the flesh hard!! A few have had flying lessons already!!!

Moose just turned 7 weeks old and is the SWEETEST, most gentle blue-eyed monster ever
love.gif

I rarely fall in love with roos when they're this young, but this big boy... oh wow
smile.png

Hope you don't mind that I share his "growing up pics" with you!!

DSC_3488.jpg

DSC_3478.jpg

DSC_3481.jpg

DSC_3493.jpg

DSC_3499.jpg

Quote:
Will do!

Right now he is at the bottom of the pack - he currently lives with 6 pullets and 5 roos, 3 of which are being re-homed shortly so we'll see how the dynamic changes after that.

They are all the same age and even if Moose is the biggest by far, he gets bossed around by the little orp girls!

He really has a gentle look in his eye and won't let me approach him yet - I hope to tame him as time goes on.

He's the only one too slow to get any bread when I throw treats in the pen, he tries but can't manage to "focus" and ends up with a beakful of bedding.

Poor Moose!
hmm.png

can anyone here tell me if it's normal for a Jersey Giant chick, 3-4 weeks of age to have huge bare spots on both sides of the neck:
92936_dscf3590.jpg

92936_dscf3601.jpg

I got these two at chickenstock from kls?? they are very wierd. Don't gobble down bread crumbs or scratch grains or even cracked corn like the rest of the birds.

Back
Top Bottom