Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Anybody with any understanding of genetics able to answer this question??
I have Buff Chantecler roosters, if they mate with black Jersey Giants hens, what colors will I end up with??
WIll there be any visible traits in the chicks to differentiate male from female?
At what age do Cantecler roosters start getting down to business?? they are 17 weeks old now.
I do have 2 hens (Brahmas) that are laying so should I start watching to see if they are trying to mount those birds??

My Giants are about 5 months old now. They are huge, docile and are becoming my favorites. I have a couple of questions. My largest roo has copper coloring on his hackles. I'm going to keep him, but is this uncommon? Also, some of my hens have red combs, some have black combs. For breeding purposes, which is best?

Quote:
The offspring would be solid black, unless you BOTH have matching recessive genetics, but I would seriously doubt that.

On the Chanteclers and when they get down to doing their boy thing - I'm not completely sure; you might check with Shelleyb1968 - she breeds (or used to breed) them, and she's in Michigan, too, so would have them in the same seasonal climate.
smile.png

Quote:
The offspring would be solid black, unless you BOTH have matching recessive genetics, but I would seriously doubt that.

On the Chanteclers and when they get down to doing their boy thing - I'm not completely sure; you might check with Shelleyb1968 - she breeds (or used to breed) them, and she's in Michigan, too, so would have them in the same seasonal climate.
smile.png

I was hoping shelleyb would read this. I understand mine came originally from HER stock, went to Stacykins in Escanaba and I got them from Stacy. I haven't caught them in any "activity" yet. Wonder how long it takes for boys to be boys?? I am finding lots more feathers laying around now tho, molting or "activity"? I haven't had lots of time to just set out there and watch the antics lately.

I did clean out the chante cathedral this morning, I scrape the loft with a 6" wide putty scraper, or whatever it is, then I placed a big wad of straw in the one end in case a hen decides she wants to try to lay an egg early, it's 19 weeks now. Think I should start rehoming them at night in the big kennel? There is a place I can give the Chante's a stall of their own. I don't know if the cathedral will be warm enough for them. They are very cold tolerant birds, but the loft isn't draft free in the least, open on the west side, not that I can't reposition it. One inch gaps in the boards at the back so wind can howl right on thru it. I think they ought to go inside for winter, tho Im not afraid to let them out to roam on nice days, or even bad ones considering their heritage.
I'll try to get a pic of the inside so I can get opinions.......coming right up.

Last edited:
So here is an update on Moose, he's 3.5 months old now and growing slowly but steadily.

He's very gentle and sweet, and although he's the biggest bird in the pen (he dwarfs my two silkie roos, LOL) he knows he's at the bottom of the pecking order.

I hope the status quo holds
lol.png

Oh, and he LOVES to crow...
hmm.png

DSC_4429.jpg

DSC_4424.jpg

DSC_4419.jpg

DSC_4417.jpg

DSC_4416.jpg

Chickwanna - could you wrap the loft area with a tarp or something for the winter? I think so long as there are several birds, they shoudl be ok through winter - they will huddle w/each other to stay warm.

Quote:
yes, I could put another tarp on it. A huge one maybe and pull it right down to the ground. I could pull something together in the back. PLUS I could move the whole cathdreal over to the other side of the yard where snow doesn't usually drift so badly. Then I can at least get to it and open the door for them to come out. Perhaps if I could find something CLEAR, they could still get lots of light inside and the hens would keep laying. But if I got rid of 2 of the roos that would mean less heat in the bundle.

thanx for input

Back
Top Bottom