Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

My 27 weekers began crowing just a couple of weeks ago.

As far as egg laying - this time of year, you just never know. I have only got two laying of my 27 weekers, and since the days are beginning to shorten, I suspect that the other gals may not begin until the spring. Fine with me, as I believe they get a hair larger when they wait over the winter to lay. JMO, though!

Yeah I had to check mine the oldest was hatched in first part march (1 blue pullet) bobbies and wynette's was about the third week of April
So they are they are a little older then stated on the other page.
They don't even care about the girls besides there is more of them and they have to fight to get enough food at the same time.
They are silly boys. The food is there 24/7 but they don't want it unless the girls do then they fight for the food by pushing their way to the feeder . Guess it makes them feel like their big bad roosters to push the pullets away. I was watching them the other day and the pullets have gotten smart on the cockerels. They group up and split up 2 will feed some will go one way some the other way and they take turns so the cockerels split up to one will feed and one or two with the other groups.
The poor boys don't know the are being played. Gotta love the jg's !
These girls are some smart cookies!
I am very happy with the breed and plain to stay with them for as long as I have chickens.
If you have the room and time to let them grow like they should you really do have the best of both worlds. Eggs and meat and friendly to boot plus all the extras.
I have a few pictures of the hen with the sprig. I blew a few up to see if you can see it. Found one that might work. Still have a few more to look at if I find a good one I'll pm or post it for you to see.
She was not the friendliest bird and hated to be handled so I never did reall unless moving her to bigger coop as they out grew the grow out pens. I saw it when bathing her but chalked it up a a extra point and no big deal.
So I am glad I took her wings to my face to get her clean for it.
I saw Wynette is going to crossroads is there anyone else that will be there?
If so they will be making byc name tags ( crossroads thread for more info)
I will be there and have a byc and a tag a friend made for me just for our trip to the show.
It has my name which is Tonya and my farm name so if anyone will be there I'll be the one taking pictures and not saying to much.
As I'll be in a daze since this is my first real show.
lau.gif

Thanks! I could not remember the name of the person making them.
I got one for the last show I just went too.
So I'll have two tags a byc one and the show one.
I got my 2010 sop book in and have been reading and looking till I go cross eyed!
Love the book but my eyes don't care for it at this point !
th.gif

I hatched out a Blue Jersey Giant chick! It is so cute and fat! It already has wattles!
ep.gif
This isn't a good sign!!
gig.gif

I'm surprised it's blue, as I have NO blue JGs? The hen that layed it was a Splash?? I have no idea who the father is. My JG's run with my mixed flock. I can't wait to see how this chick turns out!!
ya.gif

~Aspen

Fluffy, you can get a blue out of a splash. Andalusion Blue Genetics applies to most blue breeds:

Blue x Blue will give you 25% Black (without the blue gene) 50% Blue (with one blue gene) 25% splash (with two blue genes).

Black x Blue will give you 50% Black and 50% Blue.

Black x Splash will give you 100% Blue.

Blue x Splash will give you 50% Blue and 50% Splash.

Splash x Splash will give you 100% Splash

Quote:
I know what you mean. And, if you're at all like me, I'll see something written and then have a question about it - that is unanswered the further I read.
rant.gif

woot.gif
Would love to see a picture of it.
Here is the blue gene chart it will tell you how you got blue from the splash.

Edit quick draw mcdraw beat me to the gene chart.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I didn't think about that! I hatched out a Splash JG cockerel a couple months ago with a pea comb. I was hoping the chick that hatched wouldn't be a mix, and yeah! It isn't!
woot.gif

~Aspen

Quote:
The chick is in the recovery 'bator drying off still with a couple of other chicks. When he fluffs out I will post pictures.
smile.png
love.gif

I'm so inlove with this little guy ( or girl).
love.gif

~Aspen

Back
Top Bottom