Jersey Giants vs Cornish

I agree, a breeder is the way to go. We got ours from Maria at Maria's Jersey Giants. Real nice lady to work with. I believe she lives in the South. We live out West. She shipped a baker's dozen day-olds. They all arrived safely and grew to enormous size. After my first purchase from someone else, I would highly recommend buying from her.
Any pictures? :)

hi. We will be getting about 25-30 meat birds in the spring and pasturing them in chicken tractors on 4 acres of pasture. My question is, what is y’alls opinion on Jersey Giants vs Cornish ( not Cornish X). Which provides the best carcass and flavor? We will be starting sustainable breeding with them and am looking at all possibilities. We already have a laying flock as well. Thanks in advance. Becky
If you can find White Bresse, give the breed a try. It is dual purpose breed.

I was thinking if I got some more it would be from her, she is in S Indiana
http://www.mariasjerseygiants.com/

If you want Jersey Giants, Maria is the way to go. Unless you're in N Central IL, in which case I have a second contact you may be interested in. Actually just re-reading that you're in fact in IL, send me a PM if you'd like my local contact, they have stock from Maria and someone else I believe.

We raise Jersey Giants and are very happy with them. We keep the hens and eat most of the roos, keeping a couple of the best each year for replacement roos. We dress them out at between 20 and 24 weeks with good meat results. I haven't weight the meat per bird but it is a good amount. Two birds more than feed my three teenage boys, who are giants themselves, my daughter, wife, and I. The drum sticks are enormous, about as big as our turkeys, way bigger than any other chicken we've had.

Thank you for this information! I have Jersey Giant chicks arriving mid-April to raise as meat birds. I was having second thoughts after reading that recommended grow out time is 8-9 months, which translates into December or January and SNOW clean out with freezing water temps here in central New York. Although I may decide to keep some of them this long, I was hoping I could process them in about 6 months. Given your experience, it sounds like I will be able to do just that if I decide not to wait until winter.

I agree, a breeder is the way to go. We got ours from Maria at Maria's Jersey Giants. Real nice lady to work with. I believe she lives in the South. We live out West. She shipped a baker's dozen day-olds. They all arrived safely and grew to enormous size. After my first purchase from someone else, I would highly recommend buying from her.
How big did the get? I keep Brahmas that stand between 26-30" tall (roos) and have a processed weight of 5-6lbs at 6mos and 7-8lbs at 10mos. I'm guessing live weights are in the 10-11 lb range.

We have considered JG and I am curious about what size actual owners see. Also, are they a docile breed?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom