Jersey Giants

FrannyLW

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Central NJ
I saw Jersey Giants pullets at the local Agway and thinking of them this weekend. First, they told me they can be outside during the day but should still be inside at night. Not sure how old they are but they are about 6' tall right now, will ask how old when/if I get them. Should they have a heat light inside? When will they be fully feathered to be outside. I have a quarantine section for them with a small hutch before they co-habitate with my other 2 hens. And big question. It does say hens but not guaranteed. Any way of really telling yet by looking at them. I do not want a cockerel. Thank you!

How cold does it get at night? a bird is usually feathered at around 6 weeks, giving them all they need to keep warm. until then they will need a heat light or brooder plate to keep warm. As for telling sex, that usually takes around 8 weeks, especially with BJG.

They are big chicks so you need to go by their feathering if you can't find out how old they are Also if they cheep constantly and huddle together then they are cold.

Back
Top Bottom