Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Guy John, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I know that Jersey Giants reach full size at a slower rate because of their size, but what I would to know is:

What is the estimated age will they begin to lay?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ours started laying early (small eggs) at around 4-5 months but we have been told it could take as long as 8-9 months. Depends on the bird really. Also, keep in mind, egg production size could take longer. Ours started out small and are right now about a modium size and the girls are 8 months old. We were told that it could take a year or more to have large or jumbo eggs.

3. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    Thanks for that tibit. I just received 1 giant in my last order. I will know now how long until she lays.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ours lay everyday without fail and we get some really nice dark chocolate eggs from 2 of them, you will be happy!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine where very slow to lay. The very last of my LF hens to show me an egg. 36+ weeks - may have been longer.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wow that's a really long time [​IMG] I'll bet that hen almost became dinner. [​IMG]

7. My NJG hen is over 10 months old and she shows absolutely NO interest in laying an egg.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Which is why there will be no more JG at my house!

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My Jersey Giant hen didn't start laying until she was around 30 wks. old.

Here's a pic of her! She is a splash and quite lovely I think, but I may just be partial. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guess we were lucky but no more here either, our roo was much too loud (a foghorn without the leghorn) and he fought with our prized roo too much. There's only 1 pet hen that is allowed not to lay!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by