MamaBowman

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
Good morning. I purchased two jersey giants from a straight run at TS. I did my best to sex them out and thought I picked pullets. Recently one has been sprouting more flamboyant tail feathers, and I *think* I heard crow attempts this morning for the first time. They are 12 weeks old, and I feel like I would’ve known by now if it was a rooster, but can’t find any age progression photos online to compare. First photo is a side by side, are they both Roos?! Any input?

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpeg
    IMG_1912.jpeg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 32
The front is looks like a cock i can’t decide on the other one but I love jersey giants they were my first chickens! they turned a year a little while ago

Hello there : )

Both are going to be cockerels. this is a very slow developing breed, usually 4 to 5 months behind what you would expect from a standard size chicken

My son is here, and says all hope isnt lost, they show very well for 4-H!

Hello there : )

Both are going to be cockerels. this is a very slow developing breed, usually 4 to 5 months behind what you would expect from a standard size chicken

My son is here, and says all hope isnt lost, they show very well for 4-H!
I had a feeling they both might be… I’m trying to find them a good 4H home, as they are beautiful, very easily handled and friendly. We have bantam hens and I’m worried about the size difference resulting in serious injury.

We have bantam hens and I’m worried about the size difference resulting in serious injury.
This is definitely a legitimate concern, however - in our experience, the larger roosters typically dont try for the smaller hens. However, the small roosters will give their life attempt to mount a larger hen :)

But, to be on the safe side, I think you are doing the right thing!

Back
Top Bottom