Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Tara please bring us up to date. I thought you had forsaken us - have been very :(
down.

For one thing, I'm guessing Facebook has billions more members than the world's best Chicken site. And no insult to you but, I think the Facebookers just automatically LIKE everything to see where it gets them.

Plus which many, many folks didn't even know about your thread. I've been with you since you were on- I believe, the old folks thread. I have also sent every Canadian new member I would greet to check out your thread especially to learn how to get various livestock through extreme winter weather.

I truly miss photos of the girls and your farm but, mostly your banter. Maybe , please you could pop in once a month and check to see if WE are still breathing. DD

UH, the people I have friended (that's the term right?) are people I have met in the flesh or a small handful that I have e-mailed over the past 20+ years (one I am working at meeting up with finally...we need to spin together aka wool yarning!). These are friends and family, not billions of strangers.

As I've said, e-mail me and I'll link you up. I did pop in within the month and post here. Lovin' it--so user friendly and timely for moi!
:love

Don't know Tara but, I have never been on facebook and have 122,953 likes. You can get plenty here. If you give one, you get one. It's a 2 way street.
Back years ago I thought 'likes' went straight to facebook so I never clicked on them.Since I learned people HERE get likes, I give them out and others give to me.

Really miss Emmest and Lacey and you:hit

Don't know Tara but, I have never been on facebook and have 122,953 likes. You can get plenty here. If you give one, you get one. It's a 2 way street.
Back years ago I thought 'likes' went straight to facebook so I never clicked on them.Since I learned people HERE get likes, I give them out and others give to me.

Really miss Emmest and Lacey and you:hit

Heel low:

Hope everything is going well for everyone.

All going well for us. Been working 40 years now to set up a nice, comfortable home for ourselves and finally seeing this happen. So many pieces we have not seen in decades are being brought out to be enjoyed.

P1860407.jpg

Every day is like brand new with us setting up our house.

Oct 08 2021 P1860010.jpg

Go thru each item, like the BBQ. Replace the infra-red burner and then set it up on the shop balcony.

Oct 09 2021 P1860021.jpg

Emmest and Lace-alot are doing well. Emmy is going to have a litter of pups next spring. My son bought a house this spring, so he wants an ACDog like we do.

Sep 27 2021 P1850159.jpg

Grader is all ready for winter.

Sep 16 2021 P1840510.jpg

Moving slowly into our new residence. Cooked pizza tonight for the 1st time, had our own baked potatoes and chicken wings last night. Finding the soaker tub really helpful in keeping us moving along.

Sep 18 2021 P1840617.jpg

Taken up more fibre crafts...just finished a Continental knitting course and made a toque, started my 1st pair of socks, and plan on knitting some mittens.

Oct 05 2021 P1850887.jpg

Have five looms and five spinning wheels, one circular sock machine, and all sorts of drum carders, skein winders, etc. All the pieces I need to warp my looms like tension boxes, spool racks, table reel & warping boards.

Apr 05 2021 DSCN1359.jpg

Have a dedicated fibre building.

0Jan 15 2021 DSCN1422.jpg

Just had cupboards/countertops installed and need to find some time to finish setting this place up.

Oct 10 2021 P1860084.jpg

Wove my 7th scarf, finally one for me!

Dec 10 2020 DSCN6808.jpg

And will likely do a bit more crafting now that white season is upon us.

DSCN7008.jpg

The darker portion is handspun Jacob wool. Happy to be using my own fleeces in my clothing.

Harvesting our potato crop...

Oct 07 2021 P1850982.jpg

Really good year for blue potatoes.

Oct 18 2021 P1860573.jpg

Added Muscovy ducks to our bevies and had two sets of hatchlings.

Sep 05 2021 P1830493.jpg

Revamped the greenhouse this summer.

Aug 08 2021 P1810080.jpg

Looking forward to growing peppers and tomatoes again in 2022.

Aug 08 2021 P1800991.jpg

Have four pairs of Sebastopol geese.

2 Higgins RAT Jun 14 2020 DSCN9359.jpg

Didn't bother to lamb any White or Blackhead Dorpers this year. Thinking we should lamb again in May of 2022.

Feb 28 2019 DSCN0913.jpg

Looking forward to this winter and seeing things like these cypress burl lights going up in our home. Not seen them since we moved from the West Coast where we had them hung up in our 1st house. So nice to be revisiting our past creations and yearning to make new ones too.

P1860423.jpg

Lots of opportunity to continue to be creative in the shop. :-D

Oct 05 2021 P1850857.jpg

That's it for now...

Doggone it!

Getting ready to have a custom made canvas mattress cover made for the wool mattress (Jacob of course, our wool--of course!). Take about a month or so to get organized, have it ordered, made. Should be quite exciting!

Thinking for the king sized mattress, be about 50 to 60 pounds of wool. I will be selecting the wool for coarseness and prefer to use up wool not suited for spinning.

Gets washed next spring/summer.

I've already sorted thru a decent amount of fleeces...this only encourages me to sort more fleeces.

Harvested the last of the spuds...jest in time for the white to finally show up.

Too wet now to have Rick till the dirt, but should be able to in a few days or so pending no more moisture shows up. Be nice if the ground can be tilled and put to winter rest nice and tidy.

About 700 pounds of potatoes and the plot is now tilled.

Nov 07 2021 DSCF0037.jpg

TP covers all knitted up...

Nov 06 2021 DSCF0016.jpg

Chandelier up in the bathroom.

Nov 07 2021 DSCF0004.jpg

Enjoying this chandelier over the dinner table.

Nov 06 2021 DSCF0157.jpg

Closing in the shop balcony to keep the blowing snows out...if it EVER SNOWS AGAIN!

DSCF0072.jpg

Hauled over my cedar chest...made with full slabs of wood when I was sixteen.

Nov 06 2021 DSCF0086.jpg

My running horse carving.

Nov 06 2021 DSCF0083.jpg

I've used this horse image in many of my other mediums.

1st running horse.jpg

I am thinking perhaps...this for dinner tonight? Thoughts?

allan gorenko nov 1 2021.jpg

Later, eh...

Back
Top Bottom