Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
I'm tired of it...

Before shovelling

After...
Sorry I'm bitter from shovelling... We had over a foot come down pretty fast recently.
Beautiful, but that looks like too much work and too much cold. The conditions have to be perfect for us to get snow here. If it rains, the temps go up, and it it should happen to be cold enough to snow, it clears up. We have to have the cold air in place, then a low to form off the coast to get snow.

The bad thing about snow, cold, cold temps. and high wind chills is, by the time I get suited up; snow pants, thick socks, high boots, parka, mittens with heat insert, face mask etc. THEN I need to use the bathroom. The other bad thing after starting to shovel, the nose runs, if you take off your mitten to blow your nose - your hand might fall off. I know you can get goggles with wipers but, what about noses??? Somebody invent something. Maybe you'll become rich.

Last edited:
Heel low:

Thirty below...in having a cuppa java to warm up...so I can go back out.
caf.gif

Then off to my doc's appointment...

Few pics of beauty...

Sunset Jan 7

Sunrise Jan 9

And two clicks for Diva (get back at yah on the metal post licking...hee hee--took a set of photos the day prior...so great minds DO think alike!)...

"Ack...Styra is KISSing moi!"

"Ack...I kissed Fixins!"

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

When there is a major windchill warning and sub zero temps, I go to all the trouble. When there is no wind I generally shovel with jeans, long sleeved t-shirt, gloves -vest & Hat. My ears are always cold even in summer. Shoveling builds up a lot of heat if the wind doesn't take it all away.

Today I finished doing the driveway - what a difference, no wind, 17 degrees, and I was sweating buckets - had to come in to dry off.

The bad thing about snow, cold, cold temps. and high wind chills is, by the time I get suited up; snow pants, thick socks, high boots, parka, mittens with heat insert, face mask etc. THEN I need to use the bathroom. The other bad thing after starting to shovel, the nose runs, if you take off your mitten to blow your nose - your hand might fall off. I know you can get goggles with wipers but, what about noses??? Somebody invent something. Maybe you'll become rich.

I have often wondered if the runny nose during winter activities is due to the person breathing full time through their mouth.

I wonder if forcing yourself to breathe through your nose would alleviate the runs?

Batter for chicken/shrimp...

Shrimp ready to be deep fried

Shwimps...

One of my all time fav foods...even as a kid, you could ask me...what do you like to eat?, "Shwimps and Booberries!" would be my answer!

Only thing I miss about from when we lived on the Coast...the five gallon pails of live prawns, the salted water boiling, the heated garlic butter, cover the tables with newsprint and look out...feasting! Good family times, eh!
big_smile.png

But nothing to miss now...those days do not exist on the Coast any more. I remember the stealing was so bad (too many people living there when we left) at one time if you left your traps out past one tide change, you could count on someone helping themselves to your catch... Well about the time when we left...the people were helping themselves not only to your catch if you did not stay out to watch your traps...they were taking your traps too. Was terrible to see the small community we once knew get so impersonal.
barnie.gif

No matter, don't reside there no more. "Those were the good ol' days" and they are long gone now.
hmm.png

Made a quick snack for Rick and I this afternoon...

Toss in the oven

Love the melted cheese!
tongue.png

Laughed at Fixins...I was busy outside yesterday and she was demanding she get let out...so Rick did and sure enough, she come lookin' for moi!

"Found you!...Ready or not, here I come"

"Whoops, must stop and sniff...SNORT!!!!!"

"Snow nose? You ask how did I get a snow noses...Nope, I have NO idea!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick diva

Has Fixins ever really tried to lick a metal post.? I think she is more the type, to dare another dog to do it.

LOL...why I josh about them doing such a potentially self mutilation trick--all the metal posts here have been spray painted by Rick (safety first!). I personally have never licked a metal post but I do think the post has to be BARE metal for you to do any damage to yourself...but I could be wrong and I have no intentions of experimenting to find out!
tongue.png

Only other dog here is Foamy and she thinks Fixins is nuts at the best of times...Styra is no where near as intense as Fixins...hee hee.

Fixins demanding I hurry along--tis dog time!

Impatient Fixins...there's that tongue of hers sticking out...the THREAT if I don't step it up...

Poor Styra...see her look...she don't know if Fixins has gone thru and LICKED THE POST...but Styra is worried..."Eeeek! That's gotta hurt!"

Styra is not sure if Fixins has actually LICKED THE POST but Styra is certainly giving me the concerned look that she has or may any moment... LICK THE POST ...that Fixins might, she very well mighta!

YAH! Finally the drama all ends and tis..."Dog dog time!"

The snow is beautiful....still waiting for some. I know you love the snow, but do you get tired of it? Fixins seems right at home in the snow. Can't imagine living where it snows day after day.

We all have one form or another of what we deem to be winter where each one of us resided.

It is colder than we are use to in summer and it is often accompanied by BAD weather. What is the dif between a blizzard and a hurricane...it is all very frightful and not very nice to be out and about in. When I lived on the WEsT Coast...when it was winter...the plants died, the clouds rained down huge amounts of moisture, and the temperature was cold...for what we were use to there.

The coldest ever we endured in some 20 or more years was -10C/14F which is t-shirt weather here in winter by comparison...but minus ten there causes huge amounts of trouble...pipes freezing, the Ocean Bay frozen over...it was NASTY...as nasty as our -40C/-40F here in Central Alberta. We all have extreme weather and I also factor in the humidity on the Coast as being the culprit to making -10C feel terribly cold....devastatingly cold.

I absolutely ADORE snow!
celebrate.gif

Here it has to warm up to snow. So snow = better temperatures for the creatures during winter time here. Love the lovely white and sparkles...since snow = better temperatures, I move better, the birds and animals outside flourish better. I love snow,...let it snow!

Now in 2013/2014, that winter it snowed about 3 to 4 inches every three days...I had my work cut out for me to keep up the snow removal chores. I guess even I could say, that winter last...I got me snow...alot of snow, more snow that even I may have wanted...
lol.png

Dec 2013, Mt. St. Higgins range...had us already looking for more land to plunk snow in!

Taken today...this area past the one barn is the area where Mt. St. Higgins was last year...
No mountains of snow this year.

Jan 1, 2014 - Never had to deal with when the snow climbs up the sides to the point where you had no more room to pull snow off too...what then? And it kept falling! Every few days, more inches!

This is why we are working towards a Parking Building...to lessen the workload of taking snow off canopies that might collapse under the weight. We have an action plan!
wink.png

April Fool's Day, 2014...no foolin', snow load off roof of Veg Garden building...yeh...creeping up thar!

I learned things from the huge snow all last winter...like removing the fence from the goose area so Rick could go in and move the snow out with the tractor. Way easier to move metal fence panels when it was the fall than mid winter when they are buried in snow. Live and learn to know what to do if it goes extreme.

The snow on the ground and off the goose roofs was getting quite excessively deep, almost level with the roof and no place else to pull it to off the roofs!

Snow moved because fence got undone (took like three hours when buried and then only a few minutes in the fall)...
Right on!

Jan 1, 2014 front driveway...now where to put the snow off the driveway? Level with the fence in some places, eh!

Rick and I figured we came real close to not having enough places to pile the snows up and haul it away to.

And if you did not remove the snow OFF the roofs last winter...you lost buildings...this is the ice made from the pressure of the snow load off the Man Porch.

A year ago today...Jan 10 2014 - Rick on the roof shovelling the load OFF the porch

Persons that did not pull snow off roofs lost their buildings, it was that plain and simple.

It was a WET year last winter...the whole year was rather wet.

If given a choice...I prefer the wet came down as snow...way better than over two decades of time with 90 days straight of rain when I was on the WEsT Coast...I hated that! So dreary and damp--very depressing. Snow is water but often here it is not damp...and ever so bright and cheerful!

Snowed right into May...May 5th, 2014

And the big piles of snow we had to make up...June 6 was when Mt. St. Higgins finally melted completely

I don't mind rain...but living on the coast was way over the top for me. You wanna know how you knew someone was new to the WEsT Coast...they tried to use an umbrella when it rained. You see, rain there fell SIDEWAYS to soak you...umbrellas are utterly useless on all but the most rare of days. LOL

Happy with snow...let it snow...love the white cheerful stuff.
big_smile.png

I'm tired of it...

Before shovelling

After...
Sorry I'm bitter from shovelling... We had over a foot come down pretty fast recently.

Here I have two hundred feet of canopy roof, every three days last winter to clear off...I earned MY extra slice of pies that season, eh! We hope the Parking Building will take over where the canopy roofs did...make it less a chore when it snows and much more a JOY!
smile.png

I do not really have a much of a reference for it. There is some snow at my Moms place in the mountains but I do not get up there much in the winter.

I am sorry you have to do all that work! and be so cold!

Love snow and like clear blue skies too...but if the year was wet, I would rather it came down as snow than depressing rains. We all get winter and we DO NOT get to choose the amount of moisture...so choices on its form is about all I expect we can prefer...ha ha ha...

Nah, shovelling keeps ya warm. Lol
I shouldn't whine. No snow would be worse... The water table needs it. We just had a bad fire season.

Yes, no snow is rotten. And rain to me is worse in winter...causes all sorts of havoc here, if we have had snow...slip sliding about... I don't mind Spring, but once a year please, not a warm up and slushy, icy and then the MUD...blah!

We are ever so fortunate to have gravel in abundance here...brought in boxes and boxes of it for the drive ways and building pads. Not so much mud then...

It was weird last year...I think we got alot of your Coast moisture here (grew a fab garden and rarely had to water it much...every few days a natural watering happened!), and you got our more common drier summer....maybe this is the new normal...who knows eh?
hu.gif

They keep saying the weather patterns are getting all mixed up and they could be correct. See what this year is like?

whenever snow and a shovel enter the equation it bites...

Not to me. I very much enjoy being active and you will never hear me saying that I need a "gym membership"...my workout is here, anytime I want one! Shovelling snow is major kewl way to stay in shape and be healthy!
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

So many people avoid activities that burn up energy and keep your body in good condition. The kids on the bus groan if we do not show up and get the first spot to park...heavens, they mighten hafta walk an extra bus length to get inside the school--terrible. terrible!
roll.png

When I was young, we could not wait to get outside and we were gone for as long as our bellies could hold out...then hungry live wolves for our supper...because we were active like no tomorrow. Hanging upside down from trees, biking, hiking, swimming, building tree forts, going fishing, basketball, track & field ...anything and everything possible to be moving. We were out and about exploring and loving it...burning energy and building up healthful condition.

I look at the youth now and very few (and the few that do I admire immensely) do any physical activities at all. Very sad really.

Whatever happened to challenging yourself, testing how much physical activity you could manage...pushing your limits, feeling the burn and the satisfaction of being active...yeh, I don't quite get it...but not to worry, this is not really my concern since I still do as much as I am able, don't care if it's kewl, in vogue or the thing to do or not do. I just DO because to not be active would be a waste of a life.

Idleness is the holiday of fools...read that in a fortune cookie once and ever so neat!
cool.png

Beautiful, but that looks like too much work and too much cold. The conditions have to be perfect for us to get snow here. If it rains, the temps go up, and it it should happen to be cold enough to snow, it clears up. We have to have the cold air in place, then a low to form off the coast to get snow.

I wish all who wanted the blessings of snow got their fill. Winter would not be the fabulous season it is here without snow visiting us...adore it! We celebrate it...
yippiechickie.gif

Look at today...

Now think in terms if you were geared up for this by wearing the correct clothing and you were conditioned for the outside. That this was not cold and you felt awesome to see the sun shining...when you dress for success in the season, then you can enjoy winter like the ones we get here...for all they can be. Fun, beautiful, a nice change from the green...winter can be glorious indeed!

This is ultimately heavenly!

Blue skies, gorgeous sunshine, sparkly diamonds on the snow...pretty as postcards. Shout out it is GREAT to be alive!

I live in paradise and thrive in every season we get here...we love winter like this absolutely!

Lookit how the snow piled up over one of the gate arches...kewl kewl kewl!
White winters beat the heck outta dreary gloomy, overcast rains upon rain all winter long.

Rain is great in the right seasons...like spring time to help change the season from winter white to summer green. Water the plants, clean the dust off, prevent fire seasons, etc.

Me too DD...suited up and then I gotta go...bring on the DEPENDS (nfi)!
lau.gif

I cannot remember a time when my nose has run when outside (unless I had a cold, eh)...I rarely wear gloves or mitts in winter unless I am forking hay because the pitchfork is cold to hold. Even when I am doing water, I never seem to find my hands cold...unless I have to warm up a brass clip on a water bucket (dang waterfowl like to bill the snaps and drip water which freezes and then I gotta unthaw the clip from its coating of ice). A few moments in one of my pockets and good to go again...whee hee hee.

I won't be able to invent something to stop runny noses because I don't get them often enough to practically test any solutions...oh well...someone else can get rich I suppose!
lol.png

Lol diva...
Maybe that's why I just wear gloves, boots, jeans and my shirt a hoodie. sometimes a jacket. My deck I just shovel in my pajamas....

Oh Honey...shovelling a deck in yer pj's...I am just not that brazing...hee hee...
lol.png

When there is a major windchill warning and sub zero temps, I go to all the trouble. When there is no wind I generally shovel with jeans, long sleeved t-shirt, gloves -vest & Hat. My ears are always cold even in summer. Shoveling builds up a lot of heat if the wind doesn't take it all away.

We don't get alot of wind here...lots of trees to give shelter. When we do get winds...I hate that. I do not like wind. I find it unsettling.

ya big diff with the wind

Absolutely...wicks away heat. I will cover over the open sides of the Duck Barn and alot of our winter prep is getting the covers over the buildings for permanent coverage in winter to keep out the winter winds.

The Taj yesterday in winter - fronts covered up tight

The Taj in summer - open fronts

Today I finished doing the driveway - what a difference, no wind, 17 degrees, and I was sweating buckets - had to come in to dry off.

Had a blast today...minus ten and was mixing feed, putting feed buckets out, replenishing straw, wandering about like a lost puppy dog, soaking it all up. Wonderful day to be doing things outside. Wonderful the entire weekend!

The Sun angle is not changed enough for my liking, But, what do I know about the 'Great White North'?
Both are Very Nice Pic's!
Thanks for the view of your little piece of it!
hugs.gif

Scott

I liked that I was able to capture the pink and blue skies...sunset and day break. Purdy and way better than when we lived on the WEsT Coast...we have found our paradise here indeed!

Nearest "city" to us for records I could find was Calgary...daylight hours in January are average of 8 1/2--lowest (winter solstice is just short of eight hours)...not the land of the permanent darkness by any means!
celebrate.gif

So really, how much daylight do I need to get my outside chores done in...8 hours is minimum amount of daylight we have here and very adequate, at least I figure.

Double that in summer and quite frankly Scott...me tired...ever so tired because I can't seem to behave and come in when it is still light outside!

I forget myself in June and July and come staggering in round about sunset in summer...exhausted and wondering, my time flies and giving it my best because it is still light out. Yes, winter makes me way more sensible...gets me inside and darkness to sleep...do a bit more hibernation time...getting sleep banked up for the silly season...summer time, eh! I don't figure I have any self control, so 8 hours is a good thing to have in winter. Probably more than prevents me from staying out...long enough to get frost bite eh?
gig.gif

http://film.alberta.ca/filminginalberta/climate.aspx:
I have often wondered if the runny nose during winter activities is due to the person breathing full time through their mouth.

I wonder if forcing yourself to breathe through your nose would alleviate the runs?

I find the only time my nose will run or my eyes water is if I have to go back inside to use the facilities. The dramatic change from outside to inside means I am blind (glasses fog up!) too...oh my eyes!
roll.png

I dream of the day, one day, where I can "pee in my Depends!" with glee...sorry, I have said this here before, but suiting up...one feels just like those kids in the snowsuits all bundled up...ha ha ha!

I breath thru my nose...you get conditioned to winter time here outside...to me it is normal, so normal is to breath thru yer snout...yes? I think you would dry out if you did not adapt and do what comes naturally, eh?

Course maybe we should ask Fixins..."How's that breathing thru the mouth going fer yah girl?"
lol.png

Rick got to come home early as he had an early start...he's been keeping the place all nice and cleared up...looking good.

Jan 7th

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Back
Top Bottom