Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Pics
Tara - wow, had no idea there were female Mounties.

As a kid I used to watch the tv show with Sgt .Preston of the Yukon (think it was called).and his sled dog team. I used to turn over a kitchen chair and hitch up my stuffed dogs and away we'd go (in my imagination). "On you huskies," he used to say. His lead dog was KING. That was thrilling to me.

Bunnylady, you have me laughing...German and bird song...surreal! I bet!

"Wez have ways to make you TOCK!"
tongue.png

The thing that blows my mind about dogs...detecting illness in us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_cancer_detection

Dogs trained to tell us...can tell us we have cancer, when a seizure is about to happen...never mind animals and birds know when an earthquake or Tsunami is on its way and skaddle whereas we humans wonder why the sea suddenly is WAY out--not tide change and never THAT fast, eh.
hmm.png

The illness detection is like the dog walks up," Oh this one has six months to live...!" <<big lick>> Like it makes total sense because the dog would THINK we too would know. Sometimes I figure humans can be the dumbest of all...we do need to appreciate we don't know it all and things like other birds and animals take for granted, we are so oblivious to.

Gonna go hug me dogs and enjoy the sunshine shining with them marvelous SUPERIOR beasties. Tee hee... They are ever SO patient with me...yeh.
tongue.png
Tara, there's a cat named Oscar that lives in a nursing home. Oscar has a reputation for predicting death. He isn't really people-friendly, but if the staff sees him curled up on a patient's bed, they know that patient most likely isn't long for this world; as in, just a matter of a few hours. They have been known to call the patients' relatives just on Oscar's say-so.

I would banish a cat like that - the legend is probably stronger than the truth. More likely the people were close to dying anyway and the cat got the credit. From there people got so paranoid about him paying them a visit, they probably just laid down and died. Send that cat to Isis the next best thing to H- e -double hockey sticks.

Diva, the ward in which the cat lives handles people in the late stages of Alzheimer's, etc; most of them are in such deteriorated condition, they aren't even aware that the cat is there (or anything else). Everyone there knows that the patients are terminally ill, they just don't know when they will leave this world. The cat's "prediction" usually occurs within a couple of hours of that event.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is quite a bit of credence in all this... Dogs sense of smell is incredible.... like one part per million. There are electrochemical changes that occure in cancer cells they simply smell different than the rest of the person.

Further to say cats have those same senses in different proportions of course but they have them. Ever see a cat rub up against something with their mouth open? that increases their olfactory sense... they are tasting the air around the object.

http://pets.thenest.com/cats-rub-mouths-people-7008.html

It may also be that in this case when one is near death they are more still in the bed. What ever the case the statistics with this cat proves his accuracy.

deb

I would banish a cat like that - the legend is probably stronger than the truth. More likely the people were close to dying anyway and the cat got the credit. From there people got so paranoid about him paying them a visit, they probably just laid down and died. Send that cat to Isis the next best thing to H- e -double hockey sticks.

I dont think they are saying the cat killed the patient.... they are saying the cat is sensing the patients imminent passing. I have seen this story on TV not that I believe every thing I watch. But I do know animals sense a lot more than we can.

Dogs and cats in particular have incredible senses of smell... You've seen this... I know termite companies that employ dogs to smell out termites.

When i used to date from my mothers house. I had a dog that was an incredible judge of character. More than once she wouldnt give a date the time of day. She would look at him roll her eyes and go as far from him as she could. Most times I found the fellow either callous or creepy or just plain un interesting.

Where as if she came up gave him a sniff, really big for her, and waggled her tail. She was shy so thats about all she would give. I usually wound up dating that fellow several weeks...

deb

I know they weren't saying the cat killed the patients. What I mean was the cat was like "the angel of death," heralding who would die soon. Just seeing him come around would probably cause a heart attack. I wouldn't let him in the door. I worry and am anxious enough without wanting to know if a cat smells death on me.
hide.gif

Tara, still myself, do marvel at the beautiful picture of the egg and the gal. I really loved the picture of Fixins and Foamy running at dusk through the snow, and the beautiful piece of wood, that looks like a human stretching the arms to the glory of the skies above. I would like to save that picture in my beautiful pictures file, and I am sure that you do not mind, smiling that big smile. I saw an image last year of something that someone had done, which is similar to yours, but not near the magnitude. I will try to bring it to this thread......hold on.....it reminded me of you so much, I had to snap a shot. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM

Dry ingredients, about to add cold water.

Batter mixed and shrimps peeled, ready to dip and deep fry.

Dipped battered shrimps

Shrimps cooking; top one turned, bottom one done one side.

Voila...the whole point of the endeavour...let's EAT! Gobble gobble.

celebrate.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachicks8

You don't live in a ingloo? Learn something new everyday
lau.gif

Bantam ducks? Somehow I have never heard of such cutenes.

Yeh, we don't always get the right kinda ice to make a decent igloo, eh?? Tis no fun being HOMELESS in the Village.

Bantam ducks are the most feared of all poultry. Do a search on this thread for FTD or Fear the Duck.

Bibbed chocolate...whole NEW meaning to choco addictions...

My website, I have an article on keeping bantam ducks...on a UK site too...

http://poultrykeeper.com/duck-keeping/winter-care-of-your-bantam-ducks

Yeh, be prewarned...they are dangerously addictive. Make a fist...now think of that quacking...really really really LOUD and proud. Yeh, now run...I said RUN AWAY! DO IT!
rant.gif

Box of Quackers - most in the front are making MEDUSA eye contact too.

Blue Call duck (left) compared to Australian Spotted - both classed as BANTAM ducks.

Bantam Ducks...very very scary creatures...
ep.gif

Tara - wow, had no idea there were female Mounties.

As a kid I used to watch the tv show with Sgt .Preston of the Yukon (think it was called).and his sled dog team. I used to turn over a kitchen chair and hitch up my stuffed dogs and away we'd go (in my imagination). "On you huskies," he used to say. His lead dog was KING. That was thrilling to me.

Yup, equal opportunists. I once contemplated being a Mountie...short employment stint with early retirement compared to most jobs, I speak some French, I'm big...yeh...but never being off duty, well I kinda thought "hmm, that would sorta suck, eh."
hmm.png

Neat you played at mushing...very kewl DD!

Tara, there's a cat named Oscar that lives in a nursing home. Oscar has a reputation for predicting death. He isn't really people-friendly, but if the staff sees him curled up on a patient's bed, they know that patient most likely isn't long for this world; as in, just a matter of a few hours. They have been known to call the patients' relatives just on Oscar's say-so.

Oscar the grouch or Oscar the kitty of DEATH! LOL...

Obviously I am not the only one that thought cats and death can be one and the same...eek!
barnie.gif

Hee hee...DD! You are so bad eh...

Diva, the ward in which the cat lives handles people in the late stages of Alzheimer's, etc; most of them are in such deteriorated condition, they aren't even aware that the cat is there (or anything else). Everyone there knows that the patients are terminally ill, they just don't know when they will leave this world. The cat's "prediction" usually occurs within a couple of hours of that event.

It is amusing how the older we get, the more precious we figure living is!
old.gif

I am glad the people in the ward are unaware of Oscar (just watched those eh) is at predictions...
lau.gif

There is quite a bit of credence in all this... Dogs sense of smell is incredible.... like one part per million. There are electrochemical changes that occure in cancer cells they simply smell different than the rest of the person.

Further to say cats have those same senses in different proportions of course but they have them. Ever see a cat rub up against something with their mouth open? that increases their olfactory sense... they are tasting the air around the object.

http://pets.thenest.com/cats-rub-mouths-people-7008.html

It may also be that in this case when one is near death they are more still in the bed. What ever the case the statistics with this cat proves his accuracy.

deb

I agree Deb...each species evolves to have senses that benefit them. I just saw new research that says Penguins have lessened their sense of taste...something about not sensing three of our tastes...one being meaty? So is that a good thing, have to ask a Penguin is not tasting MEAT is a benefit. Fish is meat...or have we contaminated the stocks so bad they now taste like...oil?

Wonder how many Penguins visit this joint, eh?
lol.png

I dont think they are saying the cat killed the patient.... they are saying the cat is sensing the patients imminent passing. I have seen this story on TV not that I believe every thing I watch. But I do know animals sense a lot more than we can.

Dogs and cats in particular have incredible senses of smell... You've seen this... I know termite companies that employ dogs to smell out termites.

When i used to date from my mothers house. I had a dog that was an incredible judge of character. More than once she wouldnt give a date the time of day. She would look at him roll her eyes and go as far from him as she could. Most times I found the fellow either callous or creepy or just plain un interesting.

Where as if she came up gave him a sniff, really big for her, and waggled her tail. She was shy so thats about all she would give. I usually wound up dating that fellow several weeks...

deb

I never heard of the termite dogs...yeh, that would save alot of destruction to see if they were infested.
big_smile.png

Oh yeh...when the dogs don't like someone, you do pay attention, eh! Best character judges ever.

Makins who was very laid back took a hate for some people...mostly jerks though. She knew when someone was BAD and I doubt she needed to smell them to know it. Fixins busted outta our gates to go bite one dude on his Harley driving by...it was real hard to call her back...laughing so hard as she was hanging off his Daytons. Yeh, she read him like a book and he was up to no good. Not welcome here one bit EVER. GRRRRR is right!

You'd like Rick I bet. He gets even the mostly snotty aloof dogs--he has them throwing themselves on the ground begging for belly rubs. Course Fixins is NEVER amused. She smells that loose morals dog Brandy on him when he gets home from work! CHEATIN', he's been cheating with other girl dogs... I laugh because Rick has to beat a quick retreat to have a change and a bath or Fixins stays some plumb upset with him until he rids himself of that smell.
rant.gif

She even takes care of her OWN back scratches, eh...rolly polly puppers

How dare he indulge in other dogs when he has her staying at home, faithfully awaiting his return. Threating harming herself but still AT home.
hmm.png

She gets all messed up too...if I am doing something and Rick is doing something in different areas. She will pick a spot some place midway and there she be's...can't choose who to be with.

I put one of my chore coats down so she could lay in her chosen spot yesterday--torn between us. She is located between where Rick is plowing out the snow and I am fussing about in the Duck Barn...

Yeh, sweet faithful pupper...
big_smile.png

Here she is biting my coat...wants to be in two places at once, so takes her frustration out on my coat.
barnie.gif

She was SO much happier when I decided to go check on the plowing Rick was doing...she knew we were headed his way...can you see the one ear turned in his direction, listening...

I know they weren't saying the cat killed the patients. What I mean was the cat was like "the angel of death," heralding who would die soon. Just seeing him come around would probably cause a heart attack. I wouldn't let him in the door. I worry and am anxious enough without wanting to know if a cat smells death on me.
hide.gif

Take a deep breath DD...all is good. All living things must go sometime...so make every day the best one yet. I love the sunrises, love the sunsets, love the in-betweens; breathe it in deep and love it. If my time is to go tomorrow, so be it. We can't stop it. I could get run over my own bus this afternoon...so be it. I love being here but we cannot stop that. Told Rick on the phone today, I have done more than I ever thought possible and had way more FUN than I should have EVER been allowed to. I am good to go. NO, I don't wanna go but you do have to be at peace with yourself as to be otherwise, jest makes you miserable. Treat every day like yer last, eat dessert first and what we are suppose to if you have room for it...probably die sooner for those miscarriages of justice but oh well! Time flies when you are having fun, eh!
tongue.png

Tara, still myself, do marvel at the beautiful picture of the egg and the gal. I really loved the picture of Fixins and Foamy running at dusk through the snow, and the beautiful piece of wood, that looks like a human stretching the arms to the glory of the skies above. I would like to save that picture in my beautiful pictures file, and I am sure that you do not mind, smiling that big smile. I saw an image last year of something that someone had done, which is similar to yours, but not near the magnitude. I will try to bring it to this thread......hold on.....it reminded me of you so much, I had to snap a shot. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM

That is some funny photo. Is that someone's butt thar...???
sickbyc.gif

Hee hee hee...love teasing you Sunshine!

Others here have been calling the YOKE a slingshot and well with the burl suspended, can't say it is all that welcoming...hee hee...
hmm.png

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Back
Top Bottom