Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Heel low:

So still catching up on here...what's up in Pear-A-Dice...tons!
tongue.png

Got my Taj Mahal ornaments all out and lined up outside the Mandarin home.
celebrate.gif

In NO rush to take off winter covers...we got snow last year, May 6th...so me being good and waiting.

Fish pond is on the go for certain now...spending lots of sit down relax and contemplate what got done that day and what is to do the next, and the next and...
wee.gif

The water level in this contraption is now drained off...spring is here officially when it is dry.

Leaves on trees are busting out all over the place...
ya.gif

Yeh, just in time for a spring storm to weight them on over and bend them...with snow. The Rodeo parade, long weekend in May always has frozen water of some kind falling from the skies...snow or hail or combinations of such.

April 11, 2016

Took off some rotted fence rails down the front driveway. We have rails cut already sitting but some are too short...may be yet another project in the works...like so many are now.

I can just see the six new ewe lambs mouthing up all this new spring growth...nummy
clap.gif

Theft is on a huge increase. Always nice that the locals are stealing from each other...makes total sense that your community should suffer because you happened to live too large for your britches and high on the hog is what you think you deserve.
sad.png

Mailbox station up the road has been moved back to our road. Not sure what that accomplishes past makes our mail an easier target. Come on over, one stop shopping, eh. Whatever...like who ever likes regression when we should be seeing progression.

We moved our mail service to the front of our driveway because about 15, 20 years ago, when the post office in the small town got its mail boxes busted into. We lost a gift card from my MIL that she sent for Christmas that year. Like gift cards suck...anyone that possesses that can cash it in--so virtually a gift card is CASH to the holder. Yeh...the perpetrators were caught, and I seem to recall that it was an insider's job. And there are huge laws and fines against mail theft that were started way back in the Pony Express days...Federal crime with lotsa time behind bars. Oh well, don't bring back the gift card and any sense of security does it!

So we moved our mail delivery to our place out here where we have like four persons picking up their mail. Now with the big box thar...and mail delivery so erratic...I guess we should thank our stars we basically get fliers and junk mail...nothing much of importance via the mail. Well OK, except my seed orders...which BTW, I am now officially on the plant. I will say that for marketing purposes, having a large mail deliver box outside your place will certainly limelight any posters I happen to want to put up to advertise our wares...which may become "fresh tomatoes in rainbow" colours if I am a quarter successful with the plantings coming up.
cool.png

Hydrating peat as we speak. So begins the process for setting out in the first week of June (or in the cold frame sooner than later). Greenhouse to be tried and tested again this season...should be a BLAST!

Tomatoes and Tomatillos

Got me seeds out, got me tags on the way to being labels...got like twenty-seven types of tomatoes to experiment with this year... We done got from jet black, to zebra striped, to snowwhite, to orange and red blush, funky shapes from plum to ones that grow like a bunch of stuck together grapes (you eat them that way too...tear off a hunk a dunk!) ...to ones harvested as green ones that are long long time keepers (ordered a double order on those ones...expecting good things!) that redden up in like Easter sitting on a bowl on the kitchen counter (we shall see, eh!). Gonna try two plants of each and see how true claims are, what does well here and voila...greenhouse, lunchbox variety and hopefully keepers long into the snow covered winters with good sources of fruitful Vit C...as taste of joy and happiness from a season of wonderment...or that is the plan, of mice and WOman...
love.gif

March 31 and April 10, 2016 - So like where's the snow & ice gone?

Little more dry time and it will be till time! Yee haw!
Bring on the Sugar Peas and the Dogs that sample them!

Loved my helper dogs and the gardening escapades...
woot.gif

One load of sifted (compost mix of bird & ruminant goo...straw, floor sand = ) delectable DIRT done delivered...bazillions more to go!

The dirt delivery...I am sure the dogs look at me playing in the dirt and don't question the why past...there she goes again...tromp tromp tromp--dirt troll extraordinaire!
gig.gif

Emmy, "You OK...we get concerned over your huffing and puffing...wandering at will and not seeming to have purpose!"

"Just checking on you between bite bite bite each other times."

I come outside the greenhouse to check on the girls to this...
barnie.gif

Art of armpit nibbling...exposed!

Next check, see this...
ep.gif

"Is that Lacy under thar? Really Emmy...really?"

Neither one is no angel, or complete devil dog ...yeh...supervision indeed.
he.gif

Wanted to revisit the first bluebird sighting...now I saw the coloured wings, grabbed my camera and much to my surprise...I had a spotter dog...BIRD DOG...
big_smile.png

April 11, 2016, yup, that small "dot" on the wire, top left of photo is indeed a male bluebird...and on the bottom right...is that bird dog spyer...

That be the Lacy, perfect POINTER!
lau.gif

And she's no dummy...she's stealthy and sneaking up ...but then realizes, there's a fence in the way

But them Boobirds ain't no dummies either...this is where the birdy flocked off, eh!

So for the past bit of time, from after the dog show...Rick and I have both been noticing some different behaviours in the girls...they l00k cute and fine, but they have some behaviours that are off.

Ranged from the fact that Emmy was not as keener as she usually is to get the toy tossed first over Lacy.

Then the noises started up...the snorting, the sneezing...I thought, "Hmm...spring type pollens (they ARE from another country originally, eh) perhaps from all the trees coming into bud, but not...drinking more water...but it's warmed up some...nope, not that...and any time there was excitement...the snorting and sneezing from both gals. Could not put my finger on it but yesterday...I have drawn my conclusion.
sad.png

The dynamic duo of doggers
Dogs look perky and fine, eating good, playing pretty well...nothing too out of the ordinary but the noises...they are a clue!
wink.png

To the average observer...everything seems in place!
hu.gif

But I know these dogs like I know all my critters, something is off and yeh...

Kennel cough...yup. Last night I called a fellow exhibitor that attended the show too and they said when they were leaving on the Sunday, a lady came up and asked if that person had been washing their hands...kennel cough was making the rounds at the show (thank dog we never showed in November...that version of KC was going pneumonia on lots of exhibitors' dogs--nasty!) . And what a show to have this happen at, eh. Baby Puppy entry was each of the three days. Adults in good health are inconvenienced by the various strains of what is coined "kennel cough" but young pups and older or sick dogs...can have it go to pneumonia and complications. Drat, eh.
rant.gif

Now I am familiar with the Bordetella protocols as they progress over the years. Can't forfeit the whine that "I never knew" because I dang well DO! My first show with a dog, was with Makins, never showed her until she was an adult AND back then, Bordetella was vacced with nose drops and then go back six weeks later for a booster. Which we did (most never did the booster but we sure did!). Got told by the then vet of ours...yer good to go to the show. NOPE! Nada...sweet Makey Makes got kennel cough. Never had the severe form of it (many types, like the human cold) but she had kennel cough and it was off back to that vet and basically they wanted me to buy very expensive cans of rice (good for the tummy type canned dog food) and that was all we could do for her. Blah. I bought one can, figured out it was just rice and cooked for my dogs like I have always done. Makes recovered...kept her on lock down here for three weeks and basically, like the flu shot some of us humans are conned into getting every year...the kennel cough vaccine works on like five or so strains and if what is circulating is not that, your dogs get it. Now not a complete loss perhaps because in both cases from show kennel cough, my dogs have not had the horrifying raspy version and quite frankly, unless you knew these dogs and thought sneezing and snorting was OFF for them normally, you may not even notice anything was a miss. I sure do!

I also hear rumour that humans can get respiratory forms of the dog illness too (zoonosis) and with me having a cold like sickness correlating to the time the girls have appeared off, it does make me ponder if I don't have "kennel cough" too...bwa ha ha...well at least the dogs are not suffering alone, me the decider to show has it on the go too...that or just some illness from being around crowds of humans. Lovely on a stick.
th.gif

So there be my dilemma...I have shown dogs, sheep, llamas, waterfowl...and in each and every situation, for the dogs, its kennel cough (and thankfully nothing worse but could be if I did not vaccinate for other nasties like parvo, etc.!), for the sheep (anything from Johnnes to OPP, ORF, hoof rot, keds, lice, etc...etc...--just nose to nose contact or even walking over ground recently covered by an ill beast), llamas are ruminants with the same illnesses as all cattle may get, and then the birds...poultry can bring home ILT on wing feathers (if we showed landfowl, we'd choose the US vaccine, the one that does not make carriers out of the ones vaccinated), chronic respiratory from breathing the same air... Mareck's Disease again, from the very air in the same facility you show in...yeh...

hit.gif
BING BANG BOOM....thar goes the fun, eh.
hit.gif

And we had such fun...but there in lies the responsibility...do I show the girls in November...do I risk them maybe getting this other version of kennel cough that made the rounds last NOVEMBER...the one that goes into pneumonia! Well do I??

So have done the full circle and back in 1997, vacced Makins and she got kennel cough at the show anyway...so I showed sheep, llamas, waterfowl and again, all risking illnesses and managed by the skin of my teeth to keep clean flocks, herds, and bevies. Dumb luck, someone looking down and entertaining my stupidity...likely! But so many warning signs are popping up their EVIL ruin yer fun times again. So thought, well the dogs, surely things have improved from 1997 to now...HA HA HA...ding ding ding...not!
fl.gif

I did the same walk about I did with Makins...you vac, you booster this time, no booster so I guess the process has improved on kennel cough preventions but same things. We have that saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice and shame on me!" Totally appropriate! Told my vet we were showing in April and we did the vacs and protcols as per the handbook of preventions. Obviously not good enough.

So the ground has vividly come up and I've hit it hard in a most shameful fashion. How bad the ordeal, talk to me in three weeks when the kennel cough ordeal has run its course and I have hind sight (butt er what?) to look back and say, OK or wretched! I am hoping that the girls merely have a mild form and all that I will see is the snorting and sneezing, the water consumption up (duh...if you are snorting and sneezing, you'll be losing moisture at a faster rate than norm...duh!) and less than stellar Emmy stealing the toys from Lacy constantly.
idunno.gif

So how many pounds of flesh will be paid for those ribbons, those CKC points, the ring wins...the not shown in twelve years and take Best in Breed was a stellar day and Lacy's and my son's win the next day as Best Opposite when the were on FIRE...how much cost for those notches on the herding staff?

The blame squarely rests on the choices I made...I know better and yet I can continue to hope for the best...that things improve but well, stay the same is more the honest truth and I have no excuse because I have experienced the down side to exposure...in many a beast and bird.

Do I hang up the lead and show collars, vow not to do this again because the dogs pay for my judgement skills missing the mark. Do I beat myself up for having had fun, for wanting to "run for the roses" with the rest of the big kids and their dogs. Show dogs....should the girls be as Rick would have them safely stay at home...I mean I had five ACDs before, put points on three of the purebreds and even with the two rescues, I drug Stoggar to the shows with the other ACDs because we put a Performance Event Number (PEN) on her as the first ACD in Alberta to have that so she could go to the shows as an Exhibition Dog as per the CKC rules--be there legal and all.

Four outta five ACDs and only Makins got kennel cough and on my first excursion off the starting blocks. Now outta the newest two, both have had one bout--no luck on that but bad. What if the next exposure is terrible, really nasty like at the November show kennel cough strain that made the rounds? Will I be kicking myself that I just HAD to go show them...run silly around the ring a ding and get CKC points towards their championships. Dunno, right now I am as sick negatively on showing as I have ever been but mainly because potentially for the next two weeks, I get to witness the lovely innocent pups endure my decision to show and the consequences that affect them first hand. My fault, no softening up that shame and blame.

Is it better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all...I bet that could be said about showing your precious creatures and the risks involved in exposing them by virtue of not them having a say in the choice made. Agghhhhhhhhhhhh....no heaven here on Earth...cold hard reality always has a way of setting in and bursting yer bubbles.
sickbyc.gif

Guess I got till like October to decide...risk the girls again in November or not...what you guys figure? I already gave up on showing sheep (Canada's first Grand Champion Ewe, GC Ram, & the 1st placing Ram Lamb), llamas (did OK showing a white llama and we placed in halter classes with our own training and grooming), on poultry (North America's 1st Blue Fawn Call Hen to take Reserve in Breed before that variety was even recognized), and I never did show me goats (but coulda but kinda got overly scared off and quit the show scene all completely)...

So do I give it up on the showing of the dogs now too? Blah...off I go to dunk seeds in peat (ready or not...here we go)...at least maybe there I don't have too many tough decisions to mind my brain with...smokin' pouring outta me tete...my choice affects the girls...no doubt lying to myself on that...my choice to potentially harm the good lil' girl dogs.
hmm.png

I do BTW have Rick's full support in whatever "I" decide. He would never EVER show the girls and that in itself is a blessing unto him and his priorities towards the girls, but he does not own the dogs alone and he tolerates I make choices and he supports my mistakes....along with the successes...right now, support for letting the ball drop is where my mindset is at.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Heel low:

Well living he77 has not finished with me yet. Styra Foam has kennel cough now too. Not much can be said but whatever--paying with my pounds of flesh, eh.
somad.gif

Yesterday was a very nice spring day so I let some of the birds out into the bird yard for the afternoon.
yesss.gif

Laughed as while Lacy sat beside me contentedly gnawing quietly on a birch bark curly, Emmy just had to set things in proper order. She's the busy body, the thinker and protector dawg.

Course we all should know that the dogs figure the birds are theirs...stock dog mentality.

April 15, 2016 - lone swimming Call Hen--DANGER DANGER!
barnie.gif

Emmy has a plumb fit when one duck is by itself. Not right. Dangerous to a duck to be a sole one.

Calls not staying with the rest of the main Bevy

She also figures a small bunch broken off from the rest of the group, perhaps? is harder to keep track of or likely testing fate to being picked off...I did see a sparrow hawk that morning...not likely a Call will get swooped up and taken but never say never?
sad.png

Yes, that is a slow wagging tail on the Em and just enough pressure (good dogs know this) to get the main group moving along,
but not at break neck speed, stock can get hurt real bad if rushed--slow and steady pace.

So the Calls go back to the main bevy, but her job is not quite complete !

There's that one Magpie Call Drake that goes back to where she removed the ducks from not seconds ago...I showed him back in 2008 so he's an old ornery Dude

callmpbv.jpg

Black & White Magpie Call Duck - Young Drake
Best of Variety - February 2008​

But old or not...no decent DUCK will give Emmy a bad time...she's a herdy dog, and a good one!
clap.gif

The other Calls are waddling back...but this drake is gonna gun her off...lil' attitude thar boy?
gig.gif

Love Emmy's style and confidence...she goes forward to ensure the majority of the one group goes back, leaving the drake to his own thoughts about being ALL alone.
lau.gif

Then she turns, does a circle back to get the straggler and voila...

Durn drake is moved where she figures he belongs!

Dad has come home and she is looking at him thru the fence..."Just working a bit here...be right there to greet you!"
love.gif

Told Rick that Foam was sick and he thought I said, "Foamy passed away!" Yeh, pretty dismal here on the heavy price being paid for a little fun at a dog show, eh.
hmm.png

Stacked up the two loads of Birch Rick brought home...time again to restock the walls of wood

Ember and Smoke out & about enjoying the spring warmth

Really enjoying just sitting quiet with the girls, watching the birds frolic on the lawns
wee.gif

Time for a little CCR
yippiechickie.gif

Looking Out My Back Door:

It being spring in Alberta...the weather has a way of going great to bad quickly...
ep.gif

Next thing I know, time to put the Ruddies and other pair of Swans away...droplets of rain spitting!

Love days off, if I drive bus, every living thing that goes out, must come in...or risk a hail storm sweeping in and causing havoc. The sky is falling!
roll.png

Planted more seeds...diving into that for distraction plus the fact that it means the girls are playing quietly on the Man Porch and not overdoing it.

Soaking Okra seeds...before planting

Very much enjoying that the dogs and I can spend time on the Man Porch, me doing up labels and getting seeds sorted and them...resting and recovering.

Well, the moment I vacate the "chair," I have an occupant...she's NOT a dog, eh!

Assortment of Beans; pretty much the same number of varieties as the tomatoes this year
cool.png

Corn; from popcorn, milling to sweet corn - these I'll be starting in peat pots so as not to disturb their roots
wink.png

PEAS! and with a great assortment of them dog fav sugar/snow peas!
woot.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Thank you for all the pics. I live vicariously through you...LOL!

hugs.gif

Grab your stock stick, yer herding staff, get ready to run backwards without falling on your tush...what in heavens half acre am I on about...why HERDING of course...come on, hurry along...let's go....

I loved your photos.

I do love to take the clicks...and if it makes others happy and joyous, all the better.

Speaking of photos...here is series of the girls "herding" or "droving" or "mustering" or how about out for a frollick...

Well OK then...the ruminants roared out on their first day of on the spring grass (for a short period in the morning and this was the second go round that day)...if they are the greens too much, they get the runs. That old saying, too much of a good thing a ding and well...yeh.

So I took the camera along for the evening romping.

Girls are older now, I am not as concerned that if a nasty old ewe stamps and charges, that the dogs might get caught up in a horn or four, or six in the case of Regina...six horned ewe! LOL

Kisses...nobody believes me when I say, the girls KISS the sheep AT the corrals

So the whole herd, flock, pack, GROUP run out on the green, green grass of home...spring time at home! Driving and droving, on to the greener pastures they waltz...
wee.gif

Yeehaw -- Spring has sprung!
And like so what would a group of beings do when they reached the confines of the fences for the day...

Meld...act as one...nip grasses together in a big ol' mob

love.gif

Yuppers, the ruminants AND the dogs nibble on the new green...in perfect harmony!

And after melding, being part of the group, what then?

Well as dogs...a dawg asks your fellow beings to PLAY! Bowing to your chosen play partner is what Lacy is doing...

And as a sheep, what do you say when asked to play with dogs?

As a ewe, you say "BAAA!!!!" That be what you say to an invitation to play!

For as an old ewe, you do not PLAY with DOGS...what do you do with dogs? Especially two young energetic girl dogs like these two ACDs...

When Lacy asks again to play, the old ewe STAMPS her foot! "No, no means NO!"
A rightful sheep, an old ewe, she does not play with dogs on the first day of spring time romping on the green grasses...

A proper ewe charges a young girl dog and relishes that the dog bounds about, just out of reach of your horns
What does an old doe goat do when a dog like Lacy kisses you...in full view of the other ruminants...kisses your nose...what as a doe would you do?
hu.gif

Lacy kissing Heidi's nose

As an old doe, when a dog kisses you in public...your reaction is...

HEAD BUTT the perpetrator...for all your old goat's worth!
HA...lookit those Lacy moves...a blur of avoidance!

And what does a young girl dog like Lacy do when her kisses are met with angry goaty attempts to harm you...
idunno.gif

As a girl dog, you call in reinforcements like Emmy, so the doe knows...goodness of a kiss should not be met with extremely BAD manners!

So Lacy is feeling pretty large...pretty confident on her skills as a stock herder dog. What is next...why the most formidable force there is in the pasture...the WETHER is called upon next!

The invitation to play is announced, the tail is wagged and the wether, his tilt of the head foretells the reception he will give a playful pupper

And the mighty forceful wether charge is avoided...

But just in case, there was always the backup dog in the wings...in case the wether had won the battle and Lacy could not have avoided the thundering charge...

There was the partner in crime, the dynamic duo, the team in tandum...
EMMY & LACY--never too far apart from each other's service!

So the thing about these girl dog herders...no matter how many times the ruminants meet their invitations to play with force...

Lookit the moves on these two girls, the fancy foot work, the sweep of the bodies, the balance of that waggy tail
Right back in the girls will go...

Simply because, maybe the asking to play is not asking but the PLAYING part of the exercise!
woot.gif

For if each ruminant that they visit, returns the request to play with a stamped foot, lowered horns, advancements and charges that the wee stock dogs get to dance about to avoid...

Why would that not in itself be PLAYING the game the dogs so love...the herding dance? By jove, the sheep and goat are not denying the request to tango...they are briefly stopping their grazing to PLAY the game...for if they truly did ignore the young pups requests...that would be that...no game whatsoever...clever dogs, clever sheeps, clever goat a dote!
lol.png

So as I have said to start...the time on the green grass is to be a short excursion...for the ruminants and the dogs. Too much green grass will give the grazers the runs, sore up their tummies and throw off their good digestive system.

So I call time and the dogs swing into action...my instructed actions, not left to their own devices, but my request to, "Get them moved...."

So the girls spring into action...see their speed! A quick timed force to contend with!
tongue.png

The girls line up in the hunting/herding circle formation

Fur those not in the herding know, by mustering the sheep in this photo...you can SEE the instinct of the circle form.

Myself as master...I am located like on the dial of a clock...at the six o'clock position (the killer of the quarry's spot, if'n killing the stock was the objective which it is NOT). Lacy is on the left and located at the nine o'clock position and Emmy is on the right at the three o'clock placement. Kewl eh...
cool.png

Now if I moved to the left, you'd see the two girls shift to match my movement...keeping perfect balance on the critters...waiting for me to toddle on down to open the gate so the girls can do the rest of the story...gather, then drive the flock to the barn for safe keeping...but before I jump ahead too far...remember the nasty goat Heidi...well she has one more thing hid up her hoof for them girls...another ornery mannerism of goats...

Heidi notes Emmy is coming up to join me as I hobble down the pasture...
The goat makes a BREAK from the group...she heads for freedom! Away, away from the control of them two girl dogs...AWAY! Insubordinate goat attitude...
barnie.gif

Do I feel one iota worried the goat will breach the control of these girls...HA...not likely...not our girls, eh!

In perfect unison, the girls race ahead, turn the doe and back to the sheep...

And back to the group goes that goat...well flanked and guarded from behind...no switch back is possible, she is being pressured to move it on back!
She can be insolent that one...just look what kissy face got Lace!
hmm.png

And the doe rejoins the sheep...
And you can see Emmy swinging out nice and wide (going double time to link up with Lacy), to get into position for the next stock dog position!

The holding of the stock, not too close and yet, not too far...good girls--they know the space required!
big_smile.png

And the next move...
wink.png

A nice slow and steady pace...give the ruminants lots of room and a slow plodding movement
I have opened up the pasture gate, so the dogs can do their forage on ahead of me...

Emmy and Lacy will quick like bunnies go on past the sheep

And once again, hold the spot where if the sheep where to decide the barn and corrals were not their choice place...the girls are in perfect position to help me hold them...

See those ears thar...watching and waiting on me to pressure the ruminants...

And as the stock goes fully into the corrals for the evening...

My lovely well mannered, eager and energetic stock dogs come to see me

That'll do my girls...that will certainly DO!
smile.png

Cool drinks and a job done well...
job done like only Australian Cattle Dogs can do!
Moi is so proud of these girls! Proud!
yippiechickie.gif

That will do and then some!
celebrate.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

My question, as well. How much of that is instinct and how much is training?

I have a 12lb Jack Russel/Dachshund cross that has learned that when I say, "Go ON!" she is allowed to 'help' send the offender on it's way. She has never chased any bird or goat before, but now is eager to 'help' if mom wants something to move on. I don't know if it is some instinct at work or if she is just smart enough to know that I won't correct her if she is 'helping' and getting to exercise a bit of dominance at the same time.

She is the boss of the big 100lb dogs, or at least they tolerate her thinking she is the boss. They treat her like an adorable little sister who they spoil and allow to be brat-ish because she is so cute. They will flop over in dramatic fashion when she puts her paws on their necks and growls, so that she can jump straddle their heads and bite their scruffs. The chickens and goats do not. They will charge and hit her if they get a chance and she hates being bullied by the loathsome creatures.

I like her assistance when the chickens are crowding me at treat time, and when the goats are being pushy about getting to the chickens feeder as I fill it, but I fear it will lead to some actual aggression on the pup's part as she gains some confidence. I think I may need to stop her from "helping me' to avoid any future problems.

What do you think?

ETA: Beautiful herding dance by your stock and dogs, by the way.

Last edited:
If you'll excuse me puttin' my oar in . . . .
hide.gif

I would say that a lot of it is instinct - I had a couple of Shepherd mixes that worked together with frightening skill, considering that they had no training at all (I believe those two could have herded cats - they certainly tried!). Herding is, after all, the first few steps of hunting prey; channeling the built-in prey drive and stopping it before the kill is what training is all about. Untrained dogs of herding breeds can be a real danger to livestock; all those years of finely-tuned instinct can turn deadly when there's no one there to direct it.

Do you remember the sheep-killing incident in the movie Babe? Tara may correct me on this, but I have long heard that the scenario played out in the movie is actually pretty common; one or two larger dogs with possibly some herding blood, and a smaller, high-prey-drive dog like a terrier, working as a pack to attack the sheep herd. Having lost rabbits to my own dogs on a few occasions, and having seen just how high the drive on a small dog can be, I wouldn't trust your little dog with your chickens any time you couldn't see what she was doing.

I agree - On the New members introduction thread - many start out by saying their Chihuahua, yorkie, doxie, maltese etc, massacred their chicks. I had no idea toy breeds would be capable of that.

When my husband and I got married, he had 3 little mutts that he had rescued after someone dumped them in the woods. All three were colored sort of like a blond lab, but that's really where the similarity ended. Simba had a long face, hang down ears, long back, bowed front legs, very short coat - once you got past the color, your first impression would be "Dachshund." Top had a shorter face and back, slightly longer coat and legs; she looked a bit more like a small Beagle (she also bayed like one). Phipps had the shortest back and longest hair, her face was short and somewhat domed with prick ears. She looked vaguely terrier more than anything else, and she had the highest prey drive of any dog I have ever seen. We learned that we had rats in the pumphouse because Phipps was sitting staring at a hole under the door, trembling with eagerness. When Critter went into the pumphouse and started pulling the insulation off the walls, the rats went running, and Phipps and Simba were right on top of them. Quick, fierce, and efficient - I'd bet either one would have made a good showing in one of those rat-killing competitions of long ago. Phipps, particularly - the dog was absolutely obsessed. Critter made a game of their determination to hunt - he would touch a random spot on the ground, and say, "Mouse, Top, mouse! Get the mouse, dig, dig, dig, get the mouse!" One or more of them would start digging furiously. If he started them on, say, a mole tunnel, they would follow it and dig it up until they ran into an obstruction like a tree or fence. Our neighbor got a good laugh one day when Critter took the dogs into the garden, and had them dig the holes for him to plant tomatoes by egging them on first at one spot, then another, and another. After that lot, nothing surprises me when it comes to dogs.and killing things.

Back
Top Bottom