Jest Another Day in Pear-A-Dice - Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm in Alberta

Heel low:

I often talk about the dogs being my CHORE DOGS...the sense being that there are never any CHORES to do with dogs are along with you. A chore to many is just that...something to be avoided at all costs. Well the girls make my day and never any drudgery with them to entertain and distract me...and yes, to ensure I am not overdoing it because just like Fixins...they will hit you up when you think you are unable to move, toss a toy or even pay attention! Dogs ensure you are healthful and alive...indeed...here is what I mean.
wee.gif

Jan 26, 2017 - Many paws make light the work??

Firewood is a weekly task in winter...you need to fill and maintain the Man Porch wood box.

One wall of wood near gone, so 21 walls less 1 wall burnt up is 20 walls of wood left

Especially important when a cold snap is on the brink of happening...better to haul wood and pile it in -10C than -40C.
lol.png

Now if we could only find a reasonable way to harness that energy

Dogs make light the work...
clap.gif

How quickly I forget I just loaded a sled with splits and before I know it...
I am standing stunned and stupid, distracted and gobsmacked
roll.png

"What you standing there with that stupid grin on...don't YOU have a full sled to haul to the Man Porch?"

"Do we have to be watching your every move...herd your useless butt down the incline with that load of firewood?"

Emmy speeds ahead, taking a short cut, up and over to get in front of me and Lacy. Then Lacy, she does what she does...
tongue.png

"Yup, that wood smells good...prime firewood, well seasoned and ready for burning
I do believe that you could have wedged in one more piece...
Now you don't want Dad and us catching a chill tonight because you got lazy and hauled a lighter load than was possible!"

So one chore for that day completed...what task, what work--no chore when dogs are keeping your mind off your labours, eh.

Few days later (Jan 28), I decide to take clicks of hay hauling...I head out that way but not without FIRST stopping to admire their antics...up the two race...first to be on top of the large snow pile Dad has made them to play upon.

"What? Don't you have more yet to do? I don't smell you sweating up a storm yet...get a move on!
This ain't no holiday resort here..."

Extra task on the roster today, load up the same sled with hay for the ruminants out in the front pasture. Like firewood, somehow these supplies keep getting depleted...gremlins I tell you! Gremlins undoing what I keep trying to top up. Oh well...I have a purpose. Something about digging holes and filling them in or pouring energy down black holes??
hu.gif

So there...sled is brining over with hay... got my water bottle for a thirst quencher and look them girls!

Lookit how proud that Emmy is, placing the floppy on my knee and knocking that silly bottle to the ground
"You don't need that distraction...toss the toy!"

These two shots make me grin...lookit the intensity...look at them l00k at me! Emmy's all excited and Lacy, she's got the "Mom throws it, we bring it," back look..."She always has, and always will..."

"Uh yeh...you don't need to rest, you need to throw the toy...
Quit gasping or we're gonna call 911 and have you hauled away...unfit to be here!"

O"K, you got up and covered the hay bales...
that's enough...we need you to toss that toy..."

Always love how the girls are so very much alike. Like peas in a pod, even move that way.
wee.gif
wee.gif

Here's what I mean...watch this set of clicks.
love.gif

highfive.gif
Pretty durn cutesters, eh! TWINNERS!
highfive.gif

So on that note...here's three more from Australia Day, eh.

OK...nuff on the dawgs...
lol.png

Well I guess I am gonna make ClaraBELL one famous chookers...posted this to a query here on BYC (What are peoples ways of preparing their birds for show which have proven to be effective?) and posted those pictorial instructs...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To allow any poultry to become accustomed to the show room environment...inspecting them in hand daily is a good idea. When selecting birds as breeding prospects, a breeder does this anyway as part of our "enjoying the finer parts" of the Fancy. I will end this post with one I posted on my own BYC thread some years back. I teach and judge showmanship for youth and was the APA/ABA Youth Program Adviser for Canada.

If you are going to take up showing poultry on a regular basis, get yourself some cages like you would find at the shows. Show cages fold up to take up minimal space for storage and have no bottoms on them. They also make great trio or pair breeding cages during breeding season if you pedigree breed. Pet crates of the wire kind may work better for you as they may be easier to find and purchase than show cages...if you do not need to have them new, you may often find these at thrift and used stores. Back when we use to show, we would sanitize the bird's plumage by washing them in surgical soap, allowing them to fully dry and then quarantined our waterfowl entries for a month to twelve weeks after the show in our Hay and Straw building. We never showed landfowl for fear of bringing home contagious disorders like chronic respiratory disease. We are a Conservation Farm so we are setup to be able to evacuate our livestock if needed (during past emergencies like several forest fires and monumental floods like 2005, etc.) so obviously we have a large assortment of containment crates as part of our evac plan!
tongue.png

Show cages piled up for storage on top left

We use oat straw for bedding. At the shows, usually you will find wood shavings used--when you register your entry, you may ask the organizer what they use. My Calls found some of the shavings at the shows, far too sharp (whole pieces of wood shards that could have been used as fire kindling!
barnie.gif
) on their tender webber feets so you will want to train them to stand on "sharp" shavings or like bringing your own water and feed (less shock and stress to your birds), you may want to bring softer "pet" type shavings. Ask if this is OK as you may be deemed to be "marking" your cages if your shavings are noticeably different than what is provided to the rest of the exhibitors. At the shows, the wire cages are usually placed on long strips of paper and topped with bedding to help contain the bird dropping messiness. You could brush the sharp shavings to the sides to allow your birds an area to stand level in if it is seen to be unsportsmanlike to use your own softer shavings for bedding. We bring our own feeders and waterers, but we will wait until AFTER judging is over to put these in our bird's cages. When we showed, we never left our entries unattended as part of our duty of care to them.

These shavings were nice and soft to Rosy's webbers

I happen to have show cages but also have two sets of training cages that I had made by a rabbit cage maker. These ones below are four units fully enclosed and were a steal of a deal at a cost of $150 for both in 2003.

After the initial training on straw, I placed scraps of wood ply in each cage and then heaped on shavings. The photo above, the ducks are just starting to be cage trained and have straw for bedding...what they were typically use to, eh. Don't want to overwhelm them with too much all at once--unless duck a l'orange is on the menu...nobody likes a dead duck, especially the ducks.
wink.png

Some people that show Runner ducks will train them to stand up tall in their show cages by using treats held at the top of the cage to encourage that stance. Birds may often be encouraged to stand in perfect form in their show cages by gently using a show stick (judges often have these and brilliant judges have these on their persons ALWAYS! I recall asking a judge that was not judging at the show to have a look at my Call entry and instantly they had their trusty stock stick in hand!
big_smile.png
) to get them into position...just like riding a horse, it is a "pressure" to move and then for Pete's sake, leave them at rest when standing perfect. I have seen young kids entered in showmanship with a well trained bird moving wonderfully steady down the carpet and in a youthful miscalculation, the child has pushed the bird too quickly so much so the bird takes to its wings and leaves the table!!

Lightly touch to move any misplaced part into place and stop immediately when the bird is correct--the reward to the bird is to be left in peace and not bothered...so it becomes natural when a person approaches the cage, the bird turns and displays so you leave them alone and un-poked! I remember after judging at a show was completed, asking an exhibitor with landfowl I admired if it was alright to take photos of some of their show entries...having their permission, I walked up to the birds in their cages and immediately the birds turned and stood perfectly for me to click pics. I commented on how easy it was to get their pictures compared to some entries and the exhibitor smiled that knowing smile...all their work was fruitful but not necessary easy like the photos were. LOL You may do this type of training with all sorts of creatures...besides the birds, I've shown llamas, dogs, and sheep at sanctioned shows using the same techniques--short sessions of practise, practise, practise and it does pay off. Some animals adore the whole affair and just have an aura about them; others never shine under the limelight and would rather not. Identify the ones that excel and usually they are also made up properly to begin with. It is awful hard to get an improperly made up creature to stand or move balanced if it has bad feet, improper structure, and/or all around bad conformation. There is a whole art form in preparation for showing (fitting and training), but the old saying that it is difficult to make a silk purse from a sow's ear rings very true.

Shows are basically one big beauty contest with beauty in the eye of the beholders...here's hoping it's the judge that agrees with your vision!
hmm.png

Get a radio and tune it to a station with a mix of sounds...music, talking, commercials (car ones seem the most annoyingly loud!), etc. to acclimatize your birds to the noises they may hear at the show. Place your training cages where there is traffic, like you moving around them (doing chores?) but in an utmostly safe location where the cages won't get tipped over (note I have secured mine with bungy cords and placed them up on bales of straw) and you are not risking your bird's physical wellbeing by harm thru predation, inclement weather, etc. Make the experience enjoyable for your birds by placing fresh feed and water in the cages before collecting them and placing them in the cages...so when you go to get the birds, after a few times, they will look forward to it, knowing there are good eats waiting on them--a few romaine lettuce leaves go a long way into convincing your ducks this is all about the FUN GOOD TIMES! Make show cage training like a pampering SPA DAY, eh.

You may tie plastic shopping bags near the cages to flap in the wind; the movement and strange noises all add to the desensitizing and acceptance of the upcoming show environment you will be exposing them to. I start out with the birds in the cages for about half an hour and then return them to their regular quarters. The handling of taking them in and out of the training cages also mimics what is done to them at the shows when being judged. If you have not trained them prior, about a month or so in advance, every few days per week should work. Depends on the temperament of your birds. I was training bantam ducks and our Calls are pretty sassy little flirty blighters. Our exhibition bird club entry included a pair of Whites that just loved being in the annual rodeo parade on our Jacob drawn wagon...go figure!
lol.png

There are some poultry breeds that we personally would never attempt to show...we find our Mandarin ducks are not a breed that will ever settle to be complacent enough to be shown IMHO. They are quite fine and happy at home and let me do chores all around them, but that be at home, and not confined to a show cage. They are pretty and they are a wild species we keep in captivity. I have witnessed turkeys being shown that really took the exposure quite badly...depends on the breed, the strain, and of course...THE pre-show TRAINING you do with them. It is your call on what to do with your property.

Thankfully Silver Sebrights are a wonderful breed and variety for exhibition...there is no better contrast than black to white in the colour pattern and well made up Sebrights literally strut their stuffings magnificently at the shows. We often recommend bantam chicken breeds for newbies when showing in showmanship. The attitude of the bantams to show off is rewarding and the small size makes them less intimidating to youth. I hope you and your entries do well.
hugs.gif

So without further delay...here is a hen that will never lay... (a cackleberry that is!).
tongue.png

Here's my post off my Pear-A-Dice thread from a few years back...so much fun, it needs regular repeating...
yippiechickie.gif

For those unaware, showmanship is a form of competition that may be held at sanctioned poultry shows. It is not how one enters poultry in exhibition but it does teach people how and why judges do what they do when judging the show entries. It is most helpful to persons entering birds because you get an idea on what the judges will be looking for in your entries and makes you a much better selector in what would do well at a show. Besides, it is delightfully enjoyable to see a small bantam chicken listen or not listen to its master...after all, the BIRDS are the ones in control...or did you not get that memo they sent via Pigeon Post?
D.gif
yesss.gif
D.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I also asked at the end...

Anyone here wanna take a kick at the can?

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Tara I read about(or imagined) that cattledogs are great weight pullers. Maybe you could persuade the twins to pull the wood pile sled. Just walk in front of them with ice cream cones. It's cold so cones should hold up pretty well.

Tara, I pop in once in a while and you always amaze me. The dogs, the poultry, the food, the snow. Everything! I love reading about it all!

Not smart here, body size/build under the feathers?
Scott

Smart...yer smart enough for the likes of all of us here?
hu.gif

OK...we check both genders and that was my forte to the question (mostly)....

Question was...:
Tara I read about(or imagined) that cattledogs are great weight pullers. Maybe you could persuade the twins to pull the wood pile sled. Just walk in front of them with ice cream cones. It's cold so cones should hold up pretty well.

You read it...off my ACD Profiles.

Here is the article--my silly drawing...tee hee--am doubly sure the girls would pull no prob BUT I take a sled to the building and then move it a few feet, stop, water and feed, go and then stop and...you see the pattern!

At 1,200 pounds...I figure five or six 5 gallon pails of water on a sled on snow...HA...no issue...!!! BUT I have humane issues to ponder about...at -25C dogs can freeze lungs...and the girls, tho young and virile, start doing the doggy COLD toes dance with raised paws at -20C...so they come out where and when I can watch and usually it is Lacy who does the three leggy hop. Styra, she's comfy in the garage in a crate and we take her out for potty time and party time...dog run runs...she is the first of all to do the "cold out...old dog...cold toes!"

Jan 28 2017 - not cold toes but laughed at their stances...similar indeed?

Ah but now...is it cold here...nah, not forty below but not running the bus today for the cold - if that is what it is at -36C?? Not forty...40C or F is when I start thinking, she's a tad cold outside...burr!

Tara, I pop in once in a while and you always amaze me. The dogs, the poultry, the food, the snow. Everything! I love reading about it all!

Happy to see you here and glad to amuse you!
hugs.gif

OK...so busy, so much stuff in the past five days...

So quick and slick...

Not driving bus today (too cold!) but have a headlight and harness to get fixed...so still technically driving of sorts...

Rick has his surgery...after waiting 16 months...so it went fine. He is not to lift anything ten pounds or over and is off work for two weeks...we go this week for his post operation check up to see if all is well. He had his nasal passages widened...since birth they have been too confined and as one ages, one seems to bottleneck and that indeed lessened his ability to sleep thru the night. Now he is getting getter shut eye and we are hoping, against all hopes, this will rejuvenate him. Getting a good night sleep is SO important...so that be that part of the past few days...

First dog to inspect...oldtimer Foamo!

While in surgery, and then recovery...his cel was off...he got a call...just ONE...the Blue Babe of a BEAST was here at the dealership, and got the box spray liner and we went and brought her home.

Then later on the girls inspected the BABE

So very wonderful...now Rick has her booked in for running boards and then he will continue (under my EVER wifey watchful eye..."you stop that...yer sick!"). We have her insured, registered, plate is here... Next bit is floor mats, seat covers and mud flaps...Rick will order these when he gets the running boards on. Same place he got the headache rack, box rails and these running boards. Quite exciting.
tongue.png

I look forward to many adventures with the dogs in the second seating area...and yes, there were those lovely heater vents in this truck too...just for them girl dogs.

Bought the salesperson a lovely springish plant and a thank you balloon...it was an all round good thing this truck buying!

Next news...

The turkey and chickens from the States...that arrangement is in the works with Glenn Drowns of Sand Hill Preservation. Schedule goes to July 2018 or there abouts...so not this year but the next and summer time...or so the plans of RATZ and man go. Who knows, work in progress but that be that...progress is in the works. That is exciting to me also!
ya.gif

Cooked a roast beef and sliced it on the big slicer...turned out nice
Both son and I like a rare meat but Rick likes well done
I find well done roast sliced thin, to be a good way to make it favourable to all involved

Last tidbit of news...
Son came on the weekend...set up a new internet system...supposedly I now have one hundred TIMES the internet data space to download...that is amazing in my configurations...the new hub is fast like you get in the city...not like here in the country with two tin cans and gnarly string. So that be a bit of grand news. Not sure it has all sunk in quite yet.

No, have not put ewe lambs (two are not lambs since born on Jan 2, but still ewes that have never lambed--so in my simple mind...ewe lambs but not right term)...with Boss Man...with it being this cold, I will wait till maybe this weekend...I am very busy keeping chores, work, taking care of Rick and all that jazz in order...plus it is overwhelming all the wonderful happenings going on. I want lambs after end of June from the young ones...so a little later is fine too. Later in July that is.

Surgery a success, truck here at home, turkeys and chickens from the States in the works, new internet that is hugely better...yeh, not had time to stop yet and suck it all in...kinda giddy and silly really, but hey, over the top and all that jazz! Course every day here in Pear-A-Dice is like that...regularly a blur, eh.

Devilled Eggs...had some quickly coming to maybe going bad...great way to use up eggs
even if you fragrance the AIR a tad bit after the fact...oh my!

Cooking front...on sale were these knives...still five hundred dollars but regularly $1,500...Japanese steel and a lovely wooden block. Rick liked them, so we got them. We are also trying out the fast fryer for fries, but I think that one will bomb.

New fry cooker and new knifes

The fries use only a spoon of oil, take 35 minutes to cook and taste like frozen ones. So tonight will try it with melted lard but very likely...this product is not for us. Go back to regular deep fryer...chips are sweet, thinly crisp and delicious...so not great this new fangled unit. Son has one he likes it but we don't so far.
hmm.png

Pearl continues to lay eggs...but a new development...another species is laying eggs...wanna guess what kind of bird laid this egg?

What kind of bird laid this egg on the scale?

I found THREE split in the nest...but this one, was fresh laid and I took it inside the garage to be kept cool but warmer, than splitting that is.
wink.png

So I need to go...got lots on the GO...later, eh.
wee.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcaddy

How big is a Call Duck egg?
Scott
edit to add it looks duckish to me
idunno.gif

Oh...duckish...how very brash of you...to be CORRECT...Tis a duck...now what kinda duck duck DUCK??
big_smile.png

bantduck.jpg

Bantam Duck Eggs
Left: 3 Indie eggs (note that the first eggs they will lay are dark!)
Middle: Circle of Call Duck eggs
Right: 3 Australian Spotted Duck eggs​

waterfwl.jpg

Waterfowl Eggs
Top: 2 American Buff Goose eggs
Middle: 3 Silver Appleyard Duck eggs
Bottom: Left; 2 Production Rouen Duck eggs AND Right; 3 Dutch Hookbill Duck eggs
So still out thar...what kinda DUCK egg are we talking about now?

Wah wah wah???
lau.gif

I better go...Rick has the small leaf blower out and is blowing snow off The Babe...first work he's done since operation and yeh...gotta stop him before he gets peaked...that'll teach me for feeding him...YIKES!
barnie.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Heel low:

So I took a photo of a Call Duck egg laid today and weighed it so Scott could see how heavy a Call egger was...
big_smile.png

And here again (one the scale) is the egg I want you to guess on what kind of duck laid it...

What kind of bird laid this egg on the scale?
Got lots of food to get caught up on...

Feb 7 - Green salad with shredded marble cheese and ham

Tonight, salad and then trying those fries out again but cooked with melted lard and see if it tastes and turns out better.

Breakfast/Lunch for me this morn...BLT

Just fed this to the girls...

Healthy snack...snap peas, a grape and carrot...they also got a whole romaine lettuce leaf
Some Carnivores eh??

Last night's fries and chicken wings

Because I have been busy this past week, not drank our normal amount of milk...so use it or lose it before it expires..

Feb 6 2017

Two kinds of pudding (made with milk), whip cream and some fruit and some fruit yoghurt.

Took the left over beef from Sunday and added some pan fried onions, parmesan cheese, fried it up, carrots and mac & cheese and viola, lunch!

Feb 6 LUNCH

Sure is nice having Rick home...I can spoil the both of us...with a nice hot lunch!

I usually won't stop for a formal lunch and having him home resting is making it nice to have some decent lunches. Someone to share it with.

Speaking of sharing, when the son came on Sunday to install the new internet hub...we decided to have an early Sunday dinner.

Roast beef, gravy, homegrown bakers and cream corn

Reminded me when he was home as a kid...Sunday dinners
lol.png

Feb 5, 2017 Dinner

Anyway, way up thar is my salad I am going to go chow down on...later.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Donald duck?
lau.gif

You do realize Benny...that Donald is a BOY?
lol.png

This is Donald Duck...

Mighten try DAISY Duck perhaps...
hu.gif

Girl ducks are the ones that produce the EGGS...boys do help in other aspects (this being a family friendly forum and all, we stop here), like the survival of the species but girl ducks (hens) do NOT require the presence of the boy ducks (drakes) in order to produce eggs.
wink.png

So no, Donald Duck is not a good guess...I shall IGNORE that outburst and focus on your other guesses....
clap.gif

Chinese mandarin?
Wood duck?

OK...ignoring the first response on Donald...
barnie.gif

You are quite correct on your first TRUE guess. The Mandarin (Aix galericulata) is a wild perching duck originally from East Asia. There are escaped wild populations in North America and other places like England.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-aix-galericulata-mandarin-ducks-mega-photos

Rick built me my last poultry building and we call it the Taj Mahal...this is where we keep the Mandarin duck ducks.

May 26, 2016

We have since put a limerock perimeter around the building...and an assortment of concrete dragon & Foo Dog ornaments, amongst other silly decorations.
wink.png

Oct 14 2015 - Mandarin Drakes
(for Benny...these are the BOY ducks...the Donalds...so NO EGGS from the drakes!)
tongue.png

The closely related Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) is an excellent second guess but because we would require a permit to keep Wood Ducks, we chose not to keep any of the species of waterfowl that reside at our location. Love the Teals, the Goldeneye, Pintails, etc... I doubt if I had a Avian permit I could control myself and would be soon overrun with all the pretty fancy, smancy species of North American wild ducks. Oh my...so pretty!
love.gif

The past two years (in a row now)...the Mandarin ducks have decided to begin laying eggs at ridiculous (to me at least!) times of the year.

We have seen the ducks successfully raise ducklings, but more in tune with when the Wild Wood Ducks hatch their babes...lay eggs in May, hatch them in June...sensible timing for when the food supplies and weather is good.
roll.png

We have two types of nests for the Mandarins...

The stump nest and the box nests

See the Mommy duck coming out of the nest box in the background?

The hens lay eggs in both kinds of nests...so both are DUCK approved!
ya.gif

You give the birds all they need to feel at home...the wild ones need special attentions like the next boxes, but pretty much the same old, same old whatever duck species you are wanting to have raise babies.

May 12 2012...inside a nest box of ours...the hen begins to tear out the down feathers on her chest and begins to cover her clutch when she is getting ready to begin incubating them. Above is the down covered egg clutch and below...me holding up the big mess of down feathers.

Right now, it is not spring, no where NEAR spring time and even if the eggs did not split in these frigid conditions (I can collect up new laid eggs and stow them away in the garage where they will not freeze), the hen laying eggs now (she does not begin to sit on them until she has a number of eggs in her clutch and then she decides to begin to set or SIT on them to begin incubation...so all ducklings hatch round about the same time!) would be hatching out ducklings DOOMED to not survive very well. Sure, sure I set up lovely accommodations FOR raising their brood...but not capable of that in winter.

July 5, 2013 - NOW this is the right time to have ducklings...JULY and JUNE
Not February!!!

With the wild species, always best to let the parents raise the ducklings...they do a better job of it. Some want to incubate the ducklings and then it is often hard to get the hatchlings to even begin to eat. Some say one must "drop" a duckling in the Mandarin or Wood duck species...this dropping (a few feet will do yah) incites the duckling to begin eating...because they are hatched in a tree nest, way up in a tree (safe from many of the predators that love to eat ducks!), until they "fall to the ground" out of the nest in the tree, they do not feel the need to EAT.

Baby Mandarins, just hatched in one of our nests

Baby Mandarin has climbed up the inside of its nest and about to LEAP...

PEEK A BOO! We see you!
big_smile.png

The little ducks leap and bounce...in the wild, sometimes the hens choose a thirty foot drop...and hopefully, the duckling drops and hits a nice thick litter of forest debris...gravity has not alot to beat up...the ducklings are small and light...the concept I guess Nature wanted was tiny bird bounces...not crashes to the ground at high velocity...BOUNCES!
ya.gif

We knew the Mandarins would fare pretty well, favourably IF the hens chose to have egg laying start when other wild ducks do here...May for eggs, incubate for June and have juveniles for July...all good. Not FEBRUARY! Cripers... I think some of the triggers is the light...we are getting longer days now since winter solstice (Dec 21), but not that much light and certainly, -36C (-32F) that we had this week, fairly ridiculous in my mindset!

June 11, 2012 - Mandarin eggs pipping

I do not mess much with the wild ducks and their hatching goings on...leave them alone, less stress, less likely to kill them...by pestering them! You see the eggs pipping...you get the place ready for the babies....

June 12, 2012 - Got the set up for baby Mandarins...food, water, grit, hard boiled egg yolk

Somehow, having babies when the season is right...just makes it a whole lot easier...go figure!
idunno.gif

June 23 2013 - The pair raising their brood

Heat lamp hung (yes, even end of June, can get cold at night), hard boiled egg yolk, duck starter, grit, water with marbles (to ensure no ducklings drown!)...yeh, let the Mom and Dad help those babies thrive!
big_smile.png

We use have some wild Wood Ducks living on our property before we cleared it out!
smile.png

Wood Duck nesting site
This is a poplar tree and the top has rotted off the nest.

I do still hear the whistling of Wood Ducks in the spring time and I have seen a mother and her new hatched ducklings scrambling for the cover of the local river...pretty amazing to see this as you have to understand...she takes her brood only once to water...hatch, out of the tree nest and march to water.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

Edit - Not sure where Don went?? Loaded the photo of him back up!!
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom