Jo from England

Joanna8775

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hatching problems, v new to an incubator, it's day 21 and only one has hatched out if nine, one is pipping but that's all. Poor only chick, I've put it under an infrared lamp, it looks ok but very alone. I'm worried I've done something wrong? Please advise, it's still cold here in England .

Prolly just start with the egg candle...it's the check to see if you have development in your eggs. Most roo's have favorites..and some hens might not be serviced...so not all eggs are fertilized.
have fun..bigz

I bought the eggs from a farmer , if you have a self turning incubator oi stopped it turning at 18 days, I took the one chick out, will that have effected the temp? Humidity? This is so stressful , thank you for your post
263a.png

should you ame="bigzio" url="/t/872787/jo-from-england#post_13235287"]Prolly just start with the egg candle...it's the check to see if you have development in your eggs. Most roo's have favorites..and some hens might not be serviced...so not all eggs are fertilized.
have  fun..bigz
[/quote]

Hi Jo, where abouts are you? I'm new to hatching chicks too, had my first one 5 weeks ago, out of 4 viable eggs, three hatched, one died a week later leaving two left.

I left the single unhatched egg in the incubator a couple more days just in case but it didn't happen :(. I'm led to believe you should leave any newly hatched chick in the incubator to fluff up for at least 24 hours before putting in a brooder. It lets it dry out and strengthen before moving to a new environment.

Let us know how you get on, best of luck xx

images

Welcome to BYC!

Not all chicks hatch out on day 21. So don't panic yet. Chicks can hatch out up to a couple days apart. Make sure your humidity is up around 65%. Make sure your vents are wide open. Don't open the incubator lid. When they pip, they will sit there for 24+ hours absorbing the last of the yolk and detach themselves from the inside of the shell. So be patient and don't worry just yet. If you have gone 4 days past day 21, then there may be a problem. But day 21 is not a problem just yet.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the rest of the hatch, X2 what TwoCrows said, be patient, chicks don't all hatch out on day 2, so you may still get some more hatch. This is a good article on Hatching Eggs from the Learning Center to check out for the next time you decide to hatch eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Back
Top Bottom